Thread: Ford Taurus fan..

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. #226 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Been a while since anyone has posted on this thread....I'm about to do this and need a little help.

Iv'e read through the whole thing and can't seem to get a straight answer. I'm going to use a 40amp relay for the low power setting on the fan, I got that much.

It's going to go to a 3 way toggle. On-off-on. My question is what has worked best for the high side of the relay?? I can't seem to find an 80amp at the parts store I work at. and can only find a select few online. It seems like people had problems with the ford starting solinoid. Can someone please straighten me out on what to get here. Thanks in advance.

2. #227 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    I use two relays....one 30 amp relay that toggles the fan on/off. and the other that toggles between low/high. This gives me two toggle switches, on/off and low/high. I prefer it this way so I am able to turn the fan on/off if needed.

I run the fan on high 99% of the time and never had any issues. I also run the larger 30 amp fuse (not the flat style). Never had an issue there either.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

3. #228 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    A Ford starting solenoid is not continuous duty, so that's why it burns out on the high side of the fan. I went thru the parts list at my NAPA store and found a continuous duty solenoid, I believe it was from a winch or a snow plow. Solenoids like that are big relays anyway. Works without a hitch. I use an on-off-on switch (forget what they are called, DPDT?) to control both low and high speeds with one switch.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

4. #229 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    There was a lengthy discussion in my build thread a while back.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...562#post292562

FWIW, I've got a 40a relay on the high side, 30a on the low side. So far, it's been trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

5. #230 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady View Post
    I use two relays....one 30 amp relay that toggles the fan on/off. and the other that toggles between low/high. This gives me two toggle switches, on/off and low/high. I prefer it this way so I am able to turn the fan on/off if needed.

I run the fan on high 99% of the time and never had any issues. I also run the larger 30 amp fuse (not the flat style). Never had an issue there either.
    So you running 2 toggles will do the same thing as me running 1 toggle that is 3 way.... low-off-high. I just get confused at how to wire with relays...it's a new concept to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    A Ford starting solenoid is not continuous duty, so that's why it burns out on the high side of the fan. I went thru the parts list at my NAPA store and found a continuous duty solenoid, I believe it was from a winch or a snow plow. Solenoids like that are big relays anyway. Works without a hitch. I use an on-off-on switch (forget what they are called, DPDT?) to control both low and high speeds with one switch.
    That's the route I will be going too.

Quote Originally Posted by dp96zj View Post
    There was a lengthy discussion in my build thread a while back.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...562#post292562

FWIW, I've got a 40a relay on the high side, 30a on the low side. So far, it's been trouble free.
    Thanks for the link. I'm not running mine to my ignition or to a temp switch. Anyone have a wiring diagram on how to do it with the 2 relays and 1 toggle. I've done countless searches (maybe i'm dumb) but just can't find the way I want to wire it.

6. #231 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    mega bump. Im looking to do the same fan mod. Im sick of this thing over heating. The junkyard has a 5.9 hood and fan so i might pick them both up.
    98 GC 4.0 BORED .60, 4.7 stroker, rustys 4.5 custom lift, fastman tb, oba, 33 swampers this that and whatknot...

92 subaru justy rally car mazda b6t- 1300lbs + 250hp = crapping pants

run over a HONDA its your CIVIC duty!

My jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn.

7. #232 Re: Ford Taurus fan.. 
    Bookmarked for reference, thanks for all the good info guys

Dave

Thread Information