Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
8.8 Install in a ZJ - Page 3

Thread: 8.8 Install in a ZJ

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    If it has discs, it's certainly 31 spline, and that's the one you want.

Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

2. #52 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    I asked this before and the general consensus was that it didn't matter
    here is a good thread on 8.8 tech
    I can't wait to do my 8.8 swap!
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #53 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache
    I asked this before and the general consensus was that it didn't matter
    Ooooooooooooook...looks like I'm gonna score me one then.

Damn good info...from J.U. of all places too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    What a fucking concept, eh? How dare you bring logic to this thread. What are you, some kind of asshole?

4. #54 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    so does anyone have any info good/bad on this super 88 kit that superior axles has out (in petersons new edition)

5. #55 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by metalman0285
    so does anyone have any info good/bad on this super 88 kit that superior axles has out (in petersons new edition)

Well, Ive been going around trying to get my Cromo Shafts from Superior and theres been a issue... and far as I know, as of today they will be a delay on the release of the 88 kit.

HAHA... Ill be glad when the day comes I sell my 88.

AW
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

6. #56 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    well damn

7. #57 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Ever have any problems with your spacers Jerod?

I don't know why but spacers scare me but it's something I'll have to deal with when running an 8.8.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

8. #58 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeMud
    Ever have any problems with your spacers Jerod?

I don't know why but spacers scare me but it's something I'll have to deal with when running an 8.8.
    Never, even to this day. You see HOW I did my spacers right ? Not the typical bolt on with studs. I think thats the main reason its still hanging in there. Good ARP studs is what take the load. The spacer is just sandwiched.

Jerod

MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

9. #59 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Yea, I think I'll end up running the same set up.
    I've lost 30" when I was at stock height and it really sucked. I don't want to lose a 35" tire with 5" of lift, could be fairly dangerous.
    Anthony

10. #60 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    definatley run spacers the way Jerod did. (longer high quality studs through the axle shaft). I have 1" aluminum spacers with crappy studs pressed into them and I think we all remember how things transpired when one decided to let go. Made for some good 3 wheel action.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

11. #61 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297
    definatley run spacers the way Jerod did. (longer high quality studs through the axle shaft). I have 1" aluminum spacers with crappy studs pressed into them and I think we all remember how things transpired when one decided to let go. Made for some good 3 wheel action.
    That's the shit I'm talking about.
    Losing a wheel going down hill at 80 sucks!
    Anthony

12. #62 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    how i did mine

ARP studs with 5/8" thick aluminum spacer disk (had 'em black anodized)

95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

13. #63 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Sudz,
    Everything looks so new and clean.... the there are those nasty calipers.... ???

AW

14. #64 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    those calipers add character
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

15. #65 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    What do you all think if I ran a 8.8 F150 (65" WMS) in the rear, and then ran 1" spacers/wheel pattern 5 on 5 to 5 on 5 1/2" on the front and changed wheels to the 5.5 pattern? I got a free 8.8 and was thinking that would be the way to go, then when I get a HP44, I can ditch the wheel spacers. See any problems doing this? Thanks
    2000 WJ Larado 4.0
    Clayton Long Arms
    Kevins Sliderz
    4:56/LS/33's

16. #66 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty
    What do you all think if I ran a 8.8 F150 (65" WMS) in the rear, and then ran 1" spacers/wheel pattern 5 on 5 to 5 on 5 1/2" on the front and changed wheels to the 5.5 pattern? I got a free 8.8 and was thinking that would be the way to go, then when I get a HP44, I can ditch the wheel spacers. See any problems doing this? Thanks

Go for it.

17. #67 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    sounds good!
    2000 WJ Larado 4.0
    Clayton Long Arms
    Kevins Sliderz
    4:56/LS/33's

18. #68 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilzWarrior
    Sudz,
    Everything looks so new and clean.... the there are those nasty calipers.... ???

AW
    Exactly
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

19. #69 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    got any pointers on how you measured for the placement of the CA brackets that made it easier to locate the right spot for them on the 8.8? Did you find center first of both axles and then go from there or measure from the outside and subtract half the differance in axle widths and masure in to center?
    I'm just trying to get an idea what I'm gonna do when I find my 8.8. I already have a spare set of brackets that I need to finish cutting off the d35 tubes and modifing for the 3.25" tubes. I found that 3" PVC thin wall is 3.25" OD, so I'm using that for bracket radius mockup until I get teh 8.8.
    It's nice having a spare set of brackets so I'm in no real time crunch to get finished with the install
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

20. #70 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    I started from the outside and measured "in" on both sides. That's how I got it centered. Trying to find the center, with the pumkin being offset, was giving me a headache.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

21. #71 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO
    I started from the outside and measured "in" on both sides. That's how I got it centered. Trying to find the center, with the pumkin being offset, was giving me a headache.

Finding center is SUPER easy... clamp anything flat (like a 1' ruler)to each rotor, then run a string from each side and measure half way, and thats center (no matter how offset the center is). Then measure out from the center. Measuring from the outside in can screw you up if you forget the 5/8" difference in width on ANY of the mounts.

AW

22. #72 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    The math wasn't hard, it was trying to get a good mark on the pumkin, or holding the tape still.....I just found it easier to measure in from the sides.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

23. #73 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    Yeah that's all I did. Makes more sense to do it that way to me.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

24. #74 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    hey guys I got something more to add you can keep ABS with the 8.8!
    the Jeep system is 4 sensor but is still 3 hydraulic (front L&R and ONE rear)

I have done it myself on my brothers 90XJ with a 8.8 and the ABS does still work and will do it again on my ZJ. I was going to go the route of the tone rings on each wheel (like Z did) but that is a pain and costly once you get bushings for the 8.8 shafts since the OD area on the 8.8 shafts is smaller in that spot than the d35.

how I KEPT the ABS working on his XJ and will do the same on my ZJ:
    my ZJ tone rings are 54 tooth per side and the 8.8 has 108 teeth on the ring gear 54x2=108!
    his 90 XJ tone rings are 51 tooth but we decided to try it this way anyway. and later found out that the sensor does not count the teeth but just either sees a tooth or not.

I took the angle grinder and ground down EVERY OTHER TOOTH on the 8.8 ring gear tone ring making it 54 teeth.
    We then wired both the Jeep rear sensors together left and right reds together and the ford sensor red all together and then if I remember correctly the left and right Jeep wires were yellow and wire those to the other ford sensor wire.
    finished the install and bleed the brakes, then took it for a spin. the ABS light came on at startup like usual and then went off like usual! and didnt come back on as if there was a problem. I then slammed on the brakes and YES the ABS was STILL WORKING without the ABS light comming on! and it has worked perfectly since we finished the install 2 weeks ago and the 8.8 with disks is a real nice upgrade in braking. The 8.8 was installed b/c with his stroker it blew up the D35 (broken spider gears, chewed ring and pinion, bent the cross-shaft and more)

as far as I know I'm the first to be able to CONFIRM that this way works for sure. at least it did on his Bendix ABS brake system. I will later do this again on my ZJ when I find the right 8.8 with 4.10's in the yards.

I can't wait to get it running in my ZJ but I have not found a 8.8 with 4.10's in the cheap yards near me where I can get it COMPLETE for about $100 in great shape too. I figure since I'm doing the work myself I might be able to pull off the whole swap under $300 for sure, but it's the little things that can add up quick.....

here is a SUPER TECHNICAL wiring diagram I just made up for those that like pictures=)

Keep in mind I also ground off every other tooth on the 8.8 tone ring to equal 54 teeth. And this for sure works on a 90 XJ ABS system, and will test is out on my ZJ hopefully soon
    We're all insane here...

25. #75 Re: 8.8 install in a Grand 
    That's pretty cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

Thread Information