Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
8.8 Install in a ZJ - Page 12

Thread: 8.8 Install in a ZJ

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. #276 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by dyn0mitemat View Post
    I need the studs to go through the spacers and out of the wheels to put the lug nuts on. I hear everyone talking about getting arp studs but don't see any other than stock length on their site

I'm assuming you're talking about spacers that have their own studs pressed in, I'm making a set of spacers that just go in between the wheel and rotor
    ARP 100-7703

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-100-7703/

mine, 5/8" thick spacer per side, installed 6 years ago - zero issues

95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

2. #277 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    ^Thanks!

I noticed with 35/12.5/15 new mtr/k's, on 3.5" bs wheels that on tighter turns they rub the coils just slightly, so I'm probably going to put like 1/2" spacers on.

Thanks for the link to the studs
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

3. #278 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    I finally picked up an 8.8 this week and have been reading over this thread a number of times but had a few questions.

From what I gather, the ZJ rotors, calipers, and pads can all be moved over to the 8.8; however, the ZJ rotors are not compatible with the explorer calipers and vice-versa. I need new rotors either way, but am I better off using the ZJ calipers and buying ZJ rotors, or (if the 8.8 calipers are in good shape) using the 8.8 calipers and buying explorer rotors?

I take it the explorer parking brake setup works with either rotors?

I hope I didn't miss this info somewhere - any insight would be appreciated.

4. #279 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Cables work with both makes
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

5. #280 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    I stuck with all zj brakes and don't have any complaints
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

I used the 8.8 brakes since my 35 had drums
    Jacob
    1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and IRO OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's
    Artec trussed 8.8

7. #282 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    Cool, thanks for the responses. I may go with ZJ brakes because they appear to be a little cheaper.

I'm currently putting all new parking brakes on my 8.8 that has my old zj's 35. Everything seems to be getting along. You can get performance brake stuff to help the little caliper/rotor combo stop a good deal better IMHO.
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

9. #284 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    finished the e-brake install, figured I'd take some pics when doing the passenger side for anyone else who might need 'em

Safety note: wear safety glasses!! you will be playing around with springs that have a lot of stored energy once installed that could easily make you a better pirate!!!

heres what I started with, had to get the parking brake expander/lever thing from a salvage yard cause my 8.8 didn't even have that!

slide the lever in through the boot carefully

this is my stock parking brake cable fitting perfectly with the stock 8.8 brake stuff

general layout of how everything goes together sans the lever

I started by putting one of the big yellow springs on the back side of the shoes and then put them on, helps to keep the shoes pressed against the backing plate until you put the retaining pins in

now you put the adjustor in, make sure you'll be able to access it from the access hole in the backing plate for when you need to adjust your parking brakes

now its time for the retainers, these can be a real pain! It helped me to use a c-clamp to clamp the shoe to the backing plate and then use needle nose vice grips to compress the retaining spring while I used needle nose pliers to pull the pin through the retaining spring ( I made these terms up, dont know that theyre really called lol)

now you can put the other big yellow spring on, again the needle nose vice grips help a ton!

and last step, you place the short spring underneath the adjuster

Here's why I strongly recommend taking the axle shafts out to do this job: no room! and honestly, couldn't your 8.8 use some new lube love?

if you see anything I missed and should please don't hesitate to let me know.
    Last edited by egg; 03-19-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

10. #285 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    So am I the only n00b with a stock muffler doing this swap? I swapped in the 8.8 this weekend and the driveshaft contacts the muffler. Time to relocate or replace I guess.

11. #286 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    My exhaust stops before the rear axle
    Jacob
    1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and IRO OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's
    Artec trussed 8.8

12. #287 Re: 8.8 Install in a ZJ 
    I did the swap with no exhaust problems, but it could be setup specific. I have a 93/4.0/249/Aw4 setup
    93 ZJ 3.5" RE Superflex kit, KOR Stealth Rear bumper with carrier, Nates 4x4 Front Stinger bumper, Surco Safari Rack, HP D30 , Ford 8.8 Locked, Trimmed out on both ends with 33" Toyo Open Country M/T's

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
Thread Information