Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Red Roof Inn - Page 15

Thread: Project Red Roof Inn

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. #351 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Hoping I can get at least one more wheeling trip in this year. I was getting a bad bearing chirp from somewhere on the serp belt. It first showed up about the same time that I put a new alternator on so I assumed that was it. Swapped out the alternator with a spare and it didn't go away. Spent a little more time diagnosing it and determined it was the a/c compressor pulley. Since my a/c has been working so well, I didn't want to crack the system and put a new compressor in so I ordered a new pulley, clutch, and electromagnet. That process went easier than I thought it would, until I went to wire in the new magnet. I missed the diode that's on there, and somehow enough current got shot back through the wire that kicks my Taurus fan on when the a/c compressor is running that I blew up my fan controller. Have a new one on the way, but I doubt I'll get it in time to go wheeling this weekend, and I have stuff going on every weekend for like the next 6 weeks. My Jeep may not make it into 4-Lo in the state of Colorado this year, kinda bummed about that. But at least it had 2 solid weeks in Moab.

2. #352 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    that sucks. but hey at least you got to wheel it a bit. i have only wheeled 1 time this summer. life has just gotten in the way.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

3. #353 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I swapped a 231 into my ZJ circa 2002 or 2003, finally added the proper bezel after 16 years.

Also put some Bilstein 5100s on to replace the cheapie shocks I had before. Rides pretty nice down the road. Still on the lookout for the right deal on some JK rubi axles. Looking forward to getting the spool out of the rear end to make it drive even nicer down the road.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. #354 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Had the ZJ out in Moab last weekend. The new shocks did great, got rid of a lot of the wallowing that my ZJ had over the higher speed stuff, and it felt much more stable on most obstacles. Front end might have unloaded a bit more than before, but it's hard to say for sure.

No real damage to speak of from the trip either. We ran Pickle and Golden Spike. On Pickle I managed to bust out the driver rear window. When I bought the ZJ that window had already been replaced, then when I cut the back off I sold the window that was in there to BMRisko, then had the window from the donor top. I've seen some people replace it with metal and make a storage deal out of it. Not sure I'll go to that trouble, although that window is completely useless for seeing out of.

I'm over the spool already. Damn Jeep just wants to go straight everywhere. If I can't find JK axles in time I'll probably just slap another Aussie in for next summer.

I should be getting closer and closer to moving everything over to the 5.9, but there's this level of trust with my current ZJ that I don't have with the 5.9. The motor in my ZJ runs great, never had any transmission issues, pretty much all of the engine accessories are brand new. If I only wheel it 5-10 times a year, I'd think I should be able to limp it along for quite a while.
    Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 10-29-2019 at 11:02 PM.

5. #355 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6. #356 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    I'm over the spool already. Damn Jeep just wants to go straight everywhere. If I can't find JK axles in time I'll probably just slap another Aussie in for next summer.
    My current Grand has welded spider gears and they drive me nuts on the street. I've seriously considered pulling them for a lunchbox locker.
    96 ZJ 4.0, AX15, V8 axles, welded rear diff, some lift

7. #357 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Been trying to track down play in my steering for a while, it's terrifying to drive anywhere but a trail. Noticed the pitman arm wobbling on the sector shaft. Pulled it apart and a bunch of the teeth on the pitman arm are chipped/cracked. The sector shaft looks like it MIGHT be okay, so I've got a new pitman arm on the way, just have to drill and taper it for my TREs which is always so much fun.

8. #358 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    sounds like you zero'd in on the problem. fix that beeotch!
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

9. #359 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I did! But then the threads on the TRE got goobered and I'm waiting on a new TRE now. Would have LOVED having it back together to go play in the snow today. Had to settle for the tree fiddy instead.

10. #360 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    [QUOTE=BigDaveZJ;357443]I did! But then the threads on the TRE got goobered and I'm waiting on a new TRE now. Would have LOVED having it back together to go play in the snow today. Had to settle for the tree fiddy instead.
    That the old or new? ive filed the locating flat spots off all the pitman arms i've used and they looked kinda like that lol.

11. #361 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    That's the old one. The pitman arm was rocking back and forth on the sector shaft it was so loose, even with the nut fully torqued.

12. #362 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Got it all back together tonight. Greatly improved, no massive dead spot, no wandering, actually drove pretty well. Doesn't really need anything else before wheeling season either, so I might have time to dive in to some of the unibody fixes I've been putting off.

Thread Information