Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Red Roof Inn - Page 13

Thread: Project Red Roof Inn

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. #301 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Headlights are looking pretty sweet. Rick's sealing them back up and sending out to me. First time I've had streetable headlights on the ZJ in quite a while.

Everything on the ZJ that NEEDS to be done before GSW is done. Still going to mess around with the swaybar mount I think, but we'll see if time allows.

One thing I do need to look into more, I have a half turn more to the right than I do the left. Not sure what's causing yet, could be any number of things given I rebuilt the box and added a new steering box brace.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. #302 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Figured out at least part of the steering. Drag link hits the trackbar bolt when turning right, tie rod hits the axle when turning left.

3. #303 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Would some offset tie rod ends fix your issue? Something like this? http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...FQkpaQodq00CXQ

Of course that might cause a dead spot in your steering if you're still using an inverted wye type setup.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

4. #304 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I got another quarter turn by taking the washers out on the trackbar bolt, so now it hits the diff cover going left, and the pitman arm hits my steering box brace going right now. I don't know if my ZJ is just too beat for off the shelf parts anymore, or if the fitment issues on the brace are that bad, but I'm having issues getting the sway bar to fit too. I was just going to weld the swaybar mount on to the brace as a temp fix, but the swaybar makes major contact with the pillow block portion of the brace. Since I'm trailering to GSW anyways I'm not going to worry about it for now, but need to fix it for the summer.

5. #305 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Got the lights from Rick in last night. They are frickin sweet. I could probably tidy up the wiring a bit, but they work, and they work great. They look pretty good too. The internals of the light were plasti-chrome, but Rick painted them black before sealing them back up and they look perfect on my Jeep. Really happy with the light pattern they put out too.

6. #306 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    that mod has been on my todo list to finish for like 3 years now. I have all the parts but just need to wrap it up. I got my HIDs from the retro fit source: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...s-stage-3.html but when I got them a few years ago they were NOT that expensive haha.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

7. #307 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I drove it around last night after dark for the first time, super impressed. I tweaked the aiming a bit and am really happy with them. The lights work great going down the road, at least on par with the fancy lights on my Infiniti Q50. The high beams are downright ridiculous.

When I get back from Moab I'm going to pull the steering brace off completely, and work on modifying it a bit to fit everything better. I'll probably space out the swaybar mount a bit from the brace for better clearance. I would think the brace would be fine with 2 bolts on each side, I think the 4 is a bit overkill. So my thought was to basically weld a small bracket with new nuts for the swaybar over the holes currently used for the swaybar. That will give me 4 good mounting bolts for the bar, and will help me space it away from the brace a bit. I'll also grind out the part of the box that is interfering with the pitman arm.

Then I can start on the rear storage system, fixing some of the cracks in the unibody, and re-working some of the rear bumper. Plus whatever I manage to break at GSW.
    Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 05-31-2017 at 05:59 PM.

8. #308 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    he makes sway bar drop brackets for his XJ steering braces. I asked before I bought if the ZJ one if it needed drop brackets and he said no...... but I would be willing to bet that his XJ sway drop brackets might fit on our ZJ's too.

I'm still need to install mine, but I'm a I6, so it might be different on your spacing issues.
    question: is it racist that I painted mine white after reading too many Kraqa updates? I mean it is a "white power" steering brace now haha
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

9. #309 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    he makes sway bar drop brackets for his XJ steering braces. I asked before I bought if the ZJ one if it needed drop brackets and he said no...... but I would be willing to bet that his XJ sway drop brackets might fit on our ZJ's too.
    Looks like I'm not the only one who's been having issues as IronMan now makes drop brackets for the ZJ. Ordered those up today. I'll probably still have to modify them a touch, but shouldn't be too bad. Rather than continuing to drill out the busted bolt in the frame on the ZJ, I'll just weld a nut on to their bracket and call it a day.

10. #310 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Got the brackets in, solved a couple of my problems. With the design of the bracket the bolt that busted into the unibody was no big deal. I was originally going to weld a nut to the bracket, but was able to get a wrench on it and just used that to attach one side of the swaybar. The other 3 bolts are using the longer bolts IronMan supplies with the bracket kit. Since the bracket lowers the swaybar, I had to shorten my disco's, which was no big deal. But it also causes the swaybar to be in constant contact with the lower rad hose. Since my swaybar is rarely connected, I'm not too worried about it. I put a good layer of grease in between the bar and the hose to lessen any potential friction that could wear on the hose.

11. #311 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Do you have a section of old radiator hose you could split and tape/clamp over the hose to provide a sacrificial wear surface?
    -Ted Z

12. #312 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Good idea. I don't think I've got an old hose handy, but I'm sure I can come up with something comparable.

13. #313 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Wired up a kill switch for the fan, the fan is definitely still cooling at highway speeds. I think it may be a shroud issue since the Taurus fan shroud doesn't cover the whole radiator.

Also need to take a look at the rear bumper and its mounting points. I think the unibody is tearing a bit where it mounts so I need to mess with that and see what's up. Swaybar and everything worked well though, actually drove the Jeep 50 miles each way to and from the trail.

14. #314 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    We only hit speed limit about 5 times on the way back from Bill Moore Lake though.

Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

15. #315 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    That's why we got off on 470! 70mph the whole way.

16. #316 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    can you send me the contact for those lights?
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

17. #317 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    can you send me the contact for those lights?
    http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/member....-grandwagoneer

18. #318 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Current status of my unibody. Honestly surprised it's not worse all things considered. Debating on tacking the cracks AND plating it, or just plating it.

19. #319 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    2 of 3 done. Used a similar method as when I welded the new roof on and that's held up so far so hopefully this will too.

20. #320 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Weld, sheet metal screws AND pop rivets! I like it. Throw some bubble gum on there too :O) Good job drilling relief holes at the end of the cracks.

That's what my unibody looks like under the rear hatch too. Mine is also cracked where the bumper attaches. I've tacked it back together before and it just cracks again at the edge of the welds. I have to figure a way out to provide more torsional strength to the rear of the Jeep. Other than some sort of internal structure or cage, I'm not sure what it would take.
    Last edited by Ted_Z; 08-21-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    -Ted Z

21. #321 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I figure even if 2 of the 3 attachment methods fail I'll still got one left holding it! lol

22. #322 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

23. #323 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I knew I forgot something!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

24. #324 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The unibody repairs are complete, finished up the last piece the other night. Was going to rework the latch on the tire carrier, found a super sweet one that would work quite well with the existing design: https://www.polyperformance.com/syne...-assembly-4013

Exxxceeeeept that Synergy hasn't made it in a while and nobody has any in stock. So I'll be waiting for them to make some more and then order one of those and put it on the bumper. For now I'll probably just put the bumper back on with new hardware mainly to get it off the floor in the shop.

25. #325 Re: Project Red Roof Inn 
    Ah come on man, you can fab that!

Or use a latch assembly from a Cheby Blazer.
    -Ted Z

Thread Information