Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade - Page 2

Thread: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    I'd assume those would bolt into a YJ too then?

Any idea which XJ's would have the double diaphram boosters?
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Knit up a yj beast

2. #27 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    id like to know this as well ,

whats the difference between a single diaphram booster and a dual diaphram booster and why did alaska zj swap in the single in place of the dual that was stock in his rig , i would think that the dual would work better
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

3. #28 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    i got a booster out of a 93 xj and an E350 MC but i dont think they will work...

the 93 has the stupid electric plug on the booster and a really short exactly like the zj booster....

looks like i will be finding another booster...
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

4. #29 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by adam99wj View Post
    id like to know this as well ,

whats the difference between a single diaphram booster and a dual diaphram booster and why did alaska zj swap in the single in place of the dual that was stock in his rig , i would think that the dual would work better

anyone???
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

5. #30 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    i got a booster out of a 93 xj and an E350 MC but i dont think they will work...

the 93 has the stupid electric plug on the booster and a really short exactly like the zj booster....

looks like i will be finding another booster...
    Hey, you just did this... so far how's it doing for ya?
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

6. #31 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    works good...

much better, pedal is nice, and no leaks.... yet
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

7. #32 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    works good...

much better, pedal is nice, and no leaks.... yet
    Really?
    I've been thinking about doing it with my latest rig.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

8. #33 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    its alot better then i had before... tho it does take some pressure to lock them up

but the thing i like most is the pedal is always the same.
    i used a 92 booster, the bolts that go through the firewall were alittle short and i had to shave down the spacer (the one that is on the zj stock that goes between the booster and firewall)

make sure u to install that spacer tho.. i tried goin without it and the brake light switch held the brakes down 1/4 way and got the new brakes smokin on the test drive... haha stupid mistake

9. #34 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    Do you need the little plug that goes into the ZJ booster or no?
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

10. #35 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    It's weird, I never felt the need to upgrade my booster or MC. After I did the D60 and D70 swap I took all of the ABS shit out and made some adapter hoses. I need to take some pics. The brake pedal feels like it did stock and I can lockup 38.5's without a problem....

Now my CJ-8 is another story. I plan on doing this..

Originally Posted by Tommy_M
    I read your post on the CJ 1 ton brakes. I have a Scrambler with a 60 front 14 bolt rear and it stops like shit. Are you able to lock the brakes up? Whats size tires are you running? And if you have a moment can you send me some pics.

I don't really have any pics at the moment, but I can give you a run-down of the parts I used. Yes, it will lock all four tires easily, and I run 39.5 iroks.

Front brakes are stock gm 1-ton dana 60 rotors and calipers, rear brakes are gm 3/4 ton rotors and 3/4 ton calipers. I have no proportioning valve. Master cylinder is from a '73ish chevy C2500/3500 2wd truck, without hydroboost. This gets you a 1 1/4in bore master and the backside looks just like a stock jeep cj master so it will work with the stock design pushrod. It will bolt in place, however you will have to rebend the lines around to get the fittings in the right holes. Booster is a master power brakes dual diaphragm booster that they sell specifically for the CJ. It literally bolts in place of the original booster and comes with an adjustable pushrod.

Using this setup does two things- the master cylinder gives you the correct volume of fluid when the pedal is pushed, and the booster provides plenty of assist to apply the brakes. It takes about two inches of pedal travel to lock the tires on the street. Takes a little more on the trail in low range, but I can easily stop the jeep in first gear low range coming down an obstacle with little effort. I could probably use a proportioning valve because it does tend to lock the rears just before the fronts lock but I never got around to installing one.

Also, I used a pressure bleeder that attaches to the master cylinder and uses air pressure to force fluid through the lines to remove all the air. All the rubber lines were replaced with -03 AN braided teflon hoses I made by using Aeroquip parts. I think I got everything from Summit and built them to the lengths I needed.
    Last edited by Tommy; 11-08-2007 at 05:56 AM.

11. #36 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    I plan on doing a WJ front brake swap into my 98ZJ. I scored an 02 front WJ axle for $50 so theres most of my brake/steering parts. Anyways, I plan on running a MC out of a 99 Dakota. This is a 1 1/8 bore MC vs. the smaller (IDK the actual OEM ZJ size) ZJ MC. From what I understand, the Dakota MC will work with the later model ZJ dual diaphram booster. I have done this type of swap on other junk but this is my first ZJ rodeo, so if someone thinks Im full of shit, or can verify the use of the Dakota MC on a dual diaphram booster please do so. On a side note, I went to the parts store and did a side-by-side comp of the ZJ vs. WJ vs. 01 sport trac rotors and OMFG, the sport tracks are BEEFY and the ZJ's are tiny.

12. #37 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    The wj conversion is a shit ton better by itself.
    Black 97 ZJ, 4.0, 242, Clayton LA 4.5" lift +2"spacers, TW DS, 8.8 4.10's, HPD30 4.11, WJ steering conversion, 1 ton flip, PSC , KOR TB conversion, Front axle Currie JJ bushing conversion, Baja Claws 33's, Custom front & rear bumpers, Rear tire carrier, rock sliders
    Works in progress->...
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...4/P1010203.jpg

13. #38 Re: Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by albersondh View Post
    This is a 1 1/8 bore MC vs. the smaller (IDK the actual OEM ZJ size) ZJ MC.
    The stock bore in a ZJ MC is 1". By replacing the MC with a larger bore, you reduce the pressure at the caliper. It also gives you a hard brake pedal, which engages sooner than stock. It isn't worth messing around with.

Like I said on the other thread, the 1" bore is perfect with a 48mm dual piston caliper. Lots of people have done this swap and left the MC alone.

Patrick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information