Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Alaska Extreme 4x4 World Tour

Thread: Alaska Extreme 4x4 World Tour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Alaska Extreme 4x4 World Tour 
    Alright I have a handful of buddies and friends that are coming down in 05. YES I said 05. Will be the last weekend in September until the 3rd weekend of October.

We will be in Moab for 6 days
    Johnson Valley for 2 days
    Rubicon for 4 days
    Bend Oregon for 2-3 days

Reason I am posting this is that I would like to get a person/persons to wheel with us at each spot if they want. We would like to attend Club meetings if your club is having one and possibly hit a Rockcrawling event (should be one IN JV about that time I think)

Here is a link to my "local BB" so you can all chime in if you want or atleast read about who is going.

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/No...=ST;f=12;t=502
    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to the countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process. The responsibility of the United States in this conflict is to eliminate weapons of mass destruction, to minimize the danger to our troops and to diminish the suffering of the Iraqi peole." - Nancy Pelosi circa 1998

And your rebuttal Ms. Communist bitch?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    That's a hell of a trip. You guys are starting on the wrong end of the country for me

Alaska... I am planning a trip out to Moab for sometime in September too. MoabZJ (cody) has offered to show me around. If you're positive on your dates I'll try to plan to be out there at the same time.

Well my friends have all bought Trailers/RVs/Tow rigs and couple are taking off time from thier very lucrative careers....

We are pretty damn sure. We want to take in a Rockcrawling event for sure. So the dates will fluctuate a few days post or aft depending on when the schedule puts the comps at what place.....
    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to the countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process. The responsibility of the United States in this conflict is to eliminate weapons of mass destruction, to minimize the danger to our troops and to diminish the suffering of the Iraqi peole." - Nancy Pelosi circa 1998

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Hey Troy, Brentt's talking about 2005!!

I'm in for Moab...I should have something by then... :lol:

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
    Hey Troy, Brentt's talking about 2005!!
    Yep 2005 for me too. By then I should have my hydraulic steering in place (have the parts now but no time), beadlocks installed (soon to be ordered), and maybe some shaft upgrades for the rc44.

Quote Originally Posted by nmzj

Jason
    That statement is worthless without pictures....lol

No whippin cookies for you. I hopefully pulled you off your lid in a flat parking lot for the last time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nmzj

Jason
    That statement is worthless without pictures....lol

No whippin cookies for you. I hopefully pulled you off your lid in a flat parking lot for the last time.....
    Key words there are "flat parking lot."

LOL

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    I can break you guys into Moab. I won't do fins n'things or poisen spider though so if you want to do that crap find a different guide.

Cody

You guys will spring for my lodging right

Cody your more than welcome to join us. we don't really need a guide in Moab though. It is so well marked. As for lodging.....We will all have rv's of some sort I am sure you can find a bed.

We don't have much intention of doing fins and things or that type.

If we do poison spyder it will be from the other side whatever it's name is.....Just so my buds can do the photo op thing at the golden crack. But I doubt it.

We want to do Upper Helldorado for sure and Pritchett. We will be in Moab for 6 days total, You can show us the tougher stuff and we can figure out the sight seeing shit.

Ahh, not all the trails are marked

Many of them are easy to find, but therein lies the problem for the BLM. Lots of people can find the trails, but without experience with the area, they are unfamiliar with what bypasses and optional lines are off limits and which spur roads can and can't be used. It causes major problems.

Let me know when you guys get some dates down and I'll make it a point to be there. Hopefully my rig will still be in 1 piece or I'll have some sort of buggy by then to play with.

Cody

I'll let you know.

We will be there over a weekend most likely so that should help you out. We will just run the Harder trails with you as a guide and we will do the easy/senic ones without you during the week.

3 of the guys this is thier first time in Moab or even wheeling outside of AK. They are going to want to see all the big name obstacles and get in some scenery. Kinda like I did my first trip down. But the fact that we are there for 6 days really opens up the possibilities. In your opinion what is the best trail to take them on first? Maybe Goldbar rim?

They are all good drivers and have vehicles that are well built. 36 inch tire will be the smallest tire in the group and there will be a Manche buggy on 39 Iroks and a Chevy buggy on 45" terra tire hopefully. Chuggy should be sporting 1 ton gear and 40 something or other.

Is Goldbar a good break in trail to get them used to all the rocks and shit? I know that there are some killer views.

Pics of the rigs attending.

Topgun running little sluice.

Fat Bastard in his fullwidth, EFI CJ7 (14 bolt and D44 front)

Little Giant in his YJ.

Not sure what to classify Dan's thing as. Started out as a Dodge one ton. It is narrowed like 20 some inches.....lol Those are 40 inch boggers.

Kinda funny to watch him drive out of either window.....lol

Frosty in his Manche buggy. 39 Iroks. Blah blah blah (damn Marines anyway)

Badco and his fullwidth CJ7. Frame off restoration. EFI. One of the Cleanest CJ's I have ever seen.

See you on the trail.....This is what your gonna have to deal with.

Fat Bastard.......

Frosty and the Great White HailBUTT....

Yeah, GBR is a good beginners trail to break people in on, as is Poisen Spider and Metal Masher. MM is kinda hard to find if you don't know exactly where you are going.

As far as running all the big name obstacles, we can run Rusty Nail into Golden Spike which bypasses the boring 8 ours of the Spike and heads straight to the Golden Crack. Then you can do the crack, Double Wammy, Golden Stairs, and Body Snatcher on the way out of Golden Spike.

Pritchett is also a cool trail, you can run it to the rockpile and then turn around and come back--that eliminates the 20 mile freeway ride back to town (but also eliminates the high speed baja track). Yellow Hill, The Rock Pile, and Rocker Knocker are all on Pritchet.

Hells Revenge is kinda cool--you can do Escalator, Mickeys Tub, the BIG tub (whatever it's called--it's a huge bitch), Tip over Challenge, and Hells Gate. with the exception of the big tub, most of that stuff is pretty mild but it's all slickrock so it's kinda cool trail to see. You can also do dump bump, potato salad, and Lions Back if you want while youre back there.

For the rigs that want some challenge, we can run Upper Helldorado, and the shorter rigs (that dodge wouldn't make it) we could run Coyote--although I may not be the best to lead through that since I still can't explain how I made it without breaking something.

If we have some buggyish folks, we can do Upper Proving Grounds too.

Well, it's a long ways out. Let me know when the dates are in stone and assuming my rig still works, I'm down. Otherwise I can come down, drink beer, and point where to turn.

Cody

Ok Brentt, I've been trying to read most of this post but cant get my eyes of your damn avatar {both of them} damn.

If you need a guide to run Johnson Valley I would be more than honored to show you guys around. I can get the local socal JV group out there, and have some serious fun. I know I dont have to say this, but as you know the rigs gotta be set up for not breaking major stuff. Hard lockers, and minimum tire size I would suggest is 35's. My 37's are starting to seem small with all the guys I see on 40's out there now. Just give me a heads up when you get closer to planning your trip. I'll try and get Bassett to come down also. Be cool to finally meet you guys.
    Chris L

PS Dude you have to send me the full size version of that avatar :lol:
    00TJ, 37's, air locked, shaved Hp60/44, antirocks front and rear yadayadyada

Brent--
    You said your want two day in JV and 4 for the rubicon. I would switch it to 3 days in JV and 3 for the rubicon. Rubi can be done in 2-2.5 days. Johnson Valley has some of the hardest trails in the country and would be better spent with the extra day there. We could warm up on sledge hammer on the first day, then run outer limits on the second day and aftershock, then run Jack Hammer on day 3. After that the rubicon will seem like a fire road.
    Check out trails pics here.
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/37FE5474EBF73B4

Chris-L, we are all going to have RV's of one sort or another. Is there a place that is within a short distance where we can stay?

We don't want to be anywhere near a "party" crowd. Just isn't our style. We are Alaskans and sorta recluse.

We have a great camp spot near the drylake bed far, far away from the partiers. It's where we always stay and set up a base camp. All the trails are with in 2-5 miles from camp. In JV you wanna travel very light, so that's why we leave most heavy extra's at camp. Like spare tires etc. We just briing safty seal kits and spare axles etc. Camp is always just a few miles away.

Boone rd is the way in to the lake bed and you can drive RV's bigger than busses to the place we camp.

So are you hitting Moab first? Hell, maybe I'll tag along and hit JV and the Con with you dudes.

I'll just go ahead and invite myself

Cody

Yep Moab for 6 days, JV for 2-3 days, Rubicon for 4 days and then Bend Oregon for 2-4 days.

If the rubicon is still shut down like it is right now, we will only spend 2 days there. Run in and out in one long fuckin day.

You can tag along with us I don't have a problem with that. I will pass it around the group and make sure nobody has any screaming objections (shouldn't be).

We will all have RV's of some sort and all our Jeeps will be on trailers. You could probably grab a bed with a guy who is bringing a fairly good sized motorhome.

Oh and bring your beer drinkin shoes, there are three proffesional drinkers in the group and then 4 of us who will just wait till your drunk and toss you into the fire......(we don't drink).

As Chris suggested, you should allow for 3 days in JV and 3 in Rubicon (if you only have 6 days between the two).

Rubicon is not "closed down". You cannot enter/camp on the slabs at the Little Sluice or Spider Lake. That is the extent of the closure.

Can you still swim in Spyder? Where else would a guy camp while on the trail? We are making shit kits in prep for the trip...lol.

You want to run the Rubi with us?

I don't think you can swim there as of right now.
    1994 ZJ w/ 5" body lift and 33" Thornbirds

I think that would be a fun trip. I probably would bow out of Bend and just take i 80 back home, but who knows.

As for the beer drinking shoes, that won't be a problem. I'm by no means a professional, but I've been known to toss down a 30 pack in a given day/eve.

Cody

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information