Thread: ZJ 231 Swap

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. #126 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    just came across this, but thought i would say something any way. i did a 231 swap in my grand and hated it. it lasted about 2 monts. case and point.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...042308_112.jpg

i later found a 241 DLD out of a 3/4 ton dodge. it was a direct bolt in. i had to use the slip yoke off of the dodge shaft (didnt have the cash for a SYE kit) and a conversion joint, but every thing else just bolted in. the input gear is the same spline count as the grand, and the same length. even the front shaft is the same. the 241 uses a 6 planetary gear, and the mane shaft is 1/2" in diameter bigger.
    If you don't break it, you aren't wheeling it hard enough.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt me when Im doing it!

2. #127 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCK! View Post
    just came across this, but thought i would say something any way. i did a 231 swap in my grand and hated it. it lasted about 2 monts. case and point.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...042308_112.jpg

i later found a 241 DLD out of a 3/4 ton dodge. it was a direct bolt in. i had to use the slip yoke off of the dodge shaft (didnt have the cash for a SYE kit) and a conversion joint, but every thing else just bolted in. the input gear is the same spline count as the grand, and the same length. even the front shaft is the same. the 241 uses a 6 planetary gear, and the mane shaft is 1/2" in diameter bigger.
    Whatever caused that would have shelled a 249 or a 242 too. Not to say the 241 isn't superior to a 231, just stating the obvious. I think you got a bunk 231...I guess this is a problem for all you guys with big engines, low gears, and heavy feet. Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

3. #128 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Alright, I am picking up a newer 242 that has the 23 spline.

It has the electronic speedo.

My Heep is a 97, so the gear cut should be the same, but is there a diagram for wiring in the VIC?

Also is the speedo the same?

I am getting the case for cheap, and my 249 giving me crap.

Do they have different yoke sizes than stock zj's?

4. #129 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by tharlanjr View Post
    Alright, I am picking up a newer 242 that has the 23 spline.

It has the electronic speedo.

My Heep is a 97, so the gear cut should be the same, but is there a diagram for wiring in the VIC?

Also is the speedo the same?

I am getting the case for cheap, and my 249 giving me crap.

Do they have different yoke sizes than stock zj's?
    What vehicle does the case come from? If it's a WJ or XJ the yokes should be the same as your ZJ. I don't think 242s came in Wranglers (maybe the new ones do), but if it came from a wrangler you have to change the output yoke going to the front so it will fit the double cardan joint on your driveshaft. I believe you can rob it from your 249 and put it on there though if you really have to.
    As far as the speedo goes- maybe someone else can answer that. When I put in my 231 I just swapped the speedo gear from the 249 and put it in the 231. Since yours is electronic it may not be that easy, but I'm not sure.
    Do a search on the VIC. I think I remember you're supposed to take it out, disconnect the red wires and connect the 2 black wires or something. Someone's wrote about it though.
    Good luck.
    -RC
    97 ZJ 5.2 V8 with a 231 and a BB.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"
    -Gladiator

5. #130 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rccolacc View Post
    What vehicle does the case come from? If it's a WJ or XJ the yokes should be the same as your ZJ. I don't think 242s came in Wranglers (maybe the new ones do), but if it came from a wrangler you have to change the output yoke going to the front so it will fit the double cardan joint on your driveshaft. I believe you can rob it from your 249 and put it on there though if you really have to.

Almost true. TJ's have the same double cardan front driveshaft that ZJ's and XJ's use. Most WJ's to my knowledge used some bastardized booted CV joints, and probably different yokes too. Now on a YJ 231, you are partly correct as well. The yoke on the YJ 231 is for a single u-jointed shaft, but your 249 yoke will not mate up to the 231 output.

6. #131 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I'm doing the 231 swap on my ZJ too, and have a question about the rear driveshaft length. I searched, but I couldn't find anything with a clear answer.

I've got a '96 with the V8 & 2"bb with the 249/d44a rear, does anyone know the length of the rear driveshaft they used between a 231/d44a?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

7. #132 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by dp96zj View Post
    I'm doing the 231 swap on my ZJ too, and have a question about the rear driveshaft length. I searched, but I couldn't find anything with a clear answer.

I've got a '96 with the V8 & 2"bb with the 249/d44a rear, does anyone know the length of the rear driveshaft they used between a 231/d44a?
    ZJ's never came with a 231 and a 44a. Some had the 231 when the ZJs first came out, but that was when they were still using a 35c rear axle. FWIW when I put my 249 right next to my 231 when I was swapping them, they're exactly the same length to the tailhousing. This was with a '88 231. Maybe some of the newer ones are shorter. I had no trouble with using my stock rear driveshaft though.
    -RC
    97 ZJ 5.2 V8 with a 231 and a BB.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"
    -Gladiator

8. #133 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 

Not to be an a-hole, but the main reason so many do a 231 swap is so they have the aftermarket support of a true slip yolk eliminator...available for the 231, but sadly not the 242. My point being, get a SYE kit, then measure. If I recall correctly, my Tom Woods was 38 inches...from a 231 w/SYE to and old school d44.

I know how budgests go, and how money is tight...but if you are even remotely serious about this you will someday need a SYE, they are like $250 bucks, get it now.

If thats just not do-able, then you are just gonna have to see what might fit. I doubt you will find many who swap out t-cases before they swap the aluminum d44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

9. #134 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar

Forget the 231, buy one of my D300s instead.

To get back on topic, when I did the swap I had to shorten my driveshaft by 1". I was using a 231 out of a 96 XJ. Do the swap and see if you're gonna need a different length driveshaft, have someone shorten/lengthen it if needed, and so there is no down time just drive around in front wheel drive. Just take it easy if you do.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

10. #135 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    The 242 I am getting is out of a 2000 XJ with 55K miles on it!

Stupid question, but do you think I will need to change the yoke, or shorten/lengthen the driveshafts, front or rear with this swap?

I have a 97 with the 249.

Hopefully the front will be the same cause I just got a new shaft, hahaha

Also I probably will need to change the input shafts also right?

Thanks

11. #136 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by tharlanjr View Post
    The 242 I am getting is out of a 2000 XJ with 55K miles on it!

Stupid question, but do you think I will need to change the yoke, or shorten/lengthen the driveshafts, front or rear with this swap?

I have a 97 with the 249.

Hopefully the front will be the same cause I just got a new shaft, hahaha

Also I probably will need to change the input shafts also right?

Thanks
    when i swapped a 242 into my 97 v8 my driveshaft didnt fit anymore, i snagged one out of an I6 with the 242 and it fit fine. Also you wont know if you have to swap it until you pull your 249 and compare
    '98 ZJ 5.9L Ltd
    UC Springs/.5" spacer/MX6 Shocks/SCT Tuned/BBK 52mm TB/K&N FIPK/Amsoil Filter/"Jeep" Valve Covers/Doug Thorley Headers/Random Technologies Cat/Magnaflow/"Kolak" Ignition/Optima Redtop/Lotek Dual Pillar Pod/AEM Tranny Temp Gauge/Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan/RB1 WJ Nav/Vancos/EU Headlights and Turn Signals/Turn Signal Mod/JKS Disconnects

Waiting to be installed
    M1/Insulated Fuel Rails/24lb FMS Injectors/Underdrive Crank Pulley/Walbro Fuel Pump/Prothane Bushings/Hotchkis Swaybars

12. #137 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I sure as hell hope I dont need to change the front DS, I just friggen bought this one, lol

13. #138 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I have a 231 with a Tera Low kit from a 97 TJ and would like to put it in a 98 5.9l ZJ. (TJ AX-15, ZJ 46RE)

I know the input shaft is too long and needs to be swapped to the shorter shaft. Can the shaft from the Tera Low be swapped with the shaft from the 249 to make it work?

My understanding is YES but wanted to get some ideas before tear-down.

Thanks

14. #139 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty View Post
    Not to be an a-hole, but the main reason so many do a 231 swap is so they have the aftermarket support of a true slip yolk eliminator...available for the 231, but sadly not the 242. My point being, get a SYE kit, then measure. If I recall correctly, my Tom Woods was 38 inches...from a 231 w/SYE to and old school d44.

I know how budgests go, and how money is tight...but if you are even remotely serious about this you will someday need a SYE, they are like $250 bucks, get it now.

If thats just not do-able, then you are just gonna have to see what might fit. I doubt you will find many who swap out t-cases before they swap the aluminum d44.
    I was considering the SYE, but I'm gonna try to convince myself to stay around 2" (yeah, right) and wait a while before I spend any more money on the drivetrain. The reason I'm swapping is just to get rid of the toasted vc and have the 2wd/stronger 4x4 options.

15. #140 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by jfowlzj95 View Post
    Forget the 231, buy one of my D300s instead.
    Depending on how successful the 231 swap is, I might!

To get back on topic, when I did the swap I had to shorten my driveshaft by 1". I was using a 231 out of a 96 XJ. Do the swap and see if you're gonna need a different length driveshaft, have someone shorten/lengthen it if needed, and so there is no down time just drive around in front wheel drive. Just take it easy if you do.
    Hopefully either my stock driveshaft or the spare that Jordan has will fit. If not, I'll get it fixed somehow.

16. #141 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Do the swap and see if you're gonna need a different length driveshaft, have someone shorten/lengthen it if needed, and so there is no down time just drive around in front wheel drive. Just take it easy if you do.
    we may end up doing this..... depending on how it comes out....besides if we need to shorten it I know a good driveshaft shop off of 610 that I get my stuff done at

I'm helping him swap tcase 96 249->2001xj 231 since he has never done it before. right now his 231 is almost all put back together at my work b/c I took it apart to check to make sure the internals were all ok on a junkyard tcase.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

17. #142 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    ok sorry i dont have time to read the entire thing and i am in a time crunch. but i have the chance to buy a 231 out of a 94 zj with a 42re
    i have a 94 with a 249 will it be a direct swap
    1994 zj 4.o 3.73's hella 500's custom front bumper homebrewed coldair intake(registered on computer)and a cherrybomb

18. #143 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by stockzjwnc View Post
    ok sorry i dont have time to read the entire thing and i am in a time crunch. but i have the chance to buy a 231 out of a 94 zj with a 42re
    i have a 94 with a 249 will it be a direct swap
    if your talking about the ZJ in your sig then yes it should be a bolt in for the tcase.
    94 231 42RE
    94 249 42RE
    should be the .840" with the internal collar on both, so yes
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

19. #144 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I put in the 231 with a SYEafter blowing apart my 242 back in October... I absolutely LOVE it! My only problem, is that I don't have a "gate" for the 231 or the bezel, so I can't just yank on the handle.
    You only pull it until it engages into the 4x4, then stop pulling.
    The XJ gate didn't fit.
    Anyone got suggestions? or even better, one that may fit?
    Lemme know by PM please... Don't wanna threadjack this more that I already have.
    Thanks guys!

20. #145 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    how about using a 231 gate?

the 242 gate is the same thing too, yes I know they have different part numbers but I have held them side by side in my hands and there is no difference in dimensions of the length of the placement of the 4high nub.
    We're all insane here...

21. #146 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Yo DJ, thanks for the help on the tcase inputs. It's been ages since you gave me some advice on the input lengths and you were right. I picked up a 97ish 231j and that bitch bolted right up to my 96 V8 ZJ. Have to have my driveshaft shortened. I'm not swapping in an 8.8 just yet. For reference my driveshaft length for my 96 V8 is supposed to be 31.75 ujoint center to ujoint center. That's with a RE 4.5 lift with adjustable arms so I'm sure some people's results might be different. Next up is to swap in that Clayton's kit that's been in my garage for ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

22. #147 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Tool View Post
    My only problem, is that I don't have a "gate" for the 231 or the bezel, so I can't just yank on the handle.
    You only pull it until it engages into the 4x4, then stop pulling.
    Didn't I give you a ZJ transfer case shifter and linkage a couple years ago when I lived in Williamsville? If it's not you, then it was Cherokee. Either way, the gate included with the linkage was from a ZJ with a 231.

Regardless, I am struggling to see what your problem is? Do you not want to need to shift the tcase to the right to shift into 4LO? Did Eric change something with your shifter when he put in the 231?
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-22-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

23. #148 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    Yo DJ, thanks for the help on the tcase inputs. It's been ages since you gave me some advice on the input lengths and you were right. I picked up a 97ish 231j and that bitch bolted right up to my 96 V8 ZJ. Have to have my driveshaft shortened. I'm not swapping in an 8.8 just yet. For reference my driveshaft length for my 96 V8 is supposed to be 31.75 ujoint center to ujoint center. That's with a RE 4.5 lift with adjustable arms so I'm sure some people's results might be different. Next up is to swap in that Clayton's kit that's been in my garage for ages.
    no problem I actually did this swap on dp96zj (96 V8 44RE 249-> XJ 01 AW4 231) and it was the same as yours was with the same issue of needing to shorten the rear shaft. I also ran into one more thing during the swap that the nonadjustable shift linkage arm was too long and I had to shorten it by one inch but it was not a big deal after that.
    We're all insane here...

24. #149 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    Didn't I give you a ZJ transfer case shifter and linkage a couple years ago when I lived in Williamsville? If it's not you, then it was Cherokee. Either way, the gate included with the linkage was from a ZJ with a 231.

Regardless, I am struggling to see what your problem is? Do you not want to need to shift the tcase to the right to shift into 4LO? Did Eric change something with your shifter when he put in the 231?
    Hey Jared!
    Yeah that was me you gave the other linkage to...
    You know, I didn't even think about thatgate. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

The problem is, that with no gate in there right now, the shifter is sloppy.
    You pull it back to get it into 4WD, but only pull it until it "feels" like it goes in. If you don't pull it par enough or too far, it either sits in neutral, or grinds being between gears.
    I'd like to be able to pull it until it stops, and know that it was in the correct gear.
    You would still have to push it to the right and back to get into 4LO, but would prevent "missing" the 4WD gear.

It's not so much for me, but my dad and one of my friends who drove it have both had a problem with it. It's something that you need to get a "feel for" and for some people, that isn't an option.

25. #150 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    no problem I actually did this swap on dp96zj (96 V8 44RE 249-> XJ 01 AW4 231) and it was the same as yours was with the same issue of needing to shorten the rear shaft. I also ran into one more thing during the swap that the nonadjustable shift linkage arm was too long and I had to shorten it by one inch but it was not a big deal after that.

I haven't messed with the shift linkage just yet so I'm not sure if everything will line up and work or not. I can manually shift it through the gears without it lining up but I'm not sure what it will feel like when I'm actually in the Jeep. I may have to buy that tab from the stealership.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Thread Information