Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
ZJ 231 Swap - Page 5

Thread: ZJ 231 Swap

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    oh, sorry about that, i missunderstood you. But isnt the front shaft like way skinnier then the rear shaft? How much do you think a dual cardan shaft would run me from tom wood or something like that. And would I be able to adapt it to my 8.8 when i do my install on that down the road in a few months?

2. #102 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Chuck View Post
    Now my 249has the long input shaft andthe 231 has a short shaft ....what really is the issue here??? Is it just a sealing problem??? I know it engages....I was messing w/ it when I had the 231 in for the DS measurement.

Let me know.
    Can anyone answer this? My "new" 231 has the short shaft (that came from a 94' ZJ) and bolts up just fine to my rebuilt tranny- (like the quote from above) even though my 249 was a long shaft. I'm betting that you can go shorter, just not longer.

Basically, I want to know if I HAVE to do the input swap here. If I do, can someone explain why?

Also, since this 231 came from a ZJ, I'm thinking I don't need to change the shifter tab. Thoughts?
    Last edited by cooperzj; 05-23-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: additton
    My Junk
    ! ______
    / ] ] ]\___\,__
    L--|-|-|---[]|||[]
    ()_)....()_)---)_)

93' 5.2L, 35" Cooper Discovers, Custom Bumpers, CB, SOA rear, 8.8, 4.5" front springs, Warn M8000, 231, some other junk.

3. #103 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Here the answer:

You have to swap it. It doesn't seal correctly if you don't. Ask me how I know. I have about a quart of Tranny fluid on my driveway to prove it.

So, I'm taking the 231 off and swaping inputs with my 249.
    My Junk
    ! ______
    / ] ] ]\___\,__
    L--|-|-|---[]|||[]
    ()_)....()_)---)_)

93' 5.2L, 35" Cooper Discovers, Custom Bumpers, CB, SOA rear, 8.8, 4.5" front springs, Warn M8000, 231, some other junk.

4. #104 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by cooperzj View Post
    Here the answer:

You have to swap it. It doesn't seal correctly if you don't. Ask me how I know. I have about a quart of Tranny fluid on my driveway to prove it.

So, I'm taking the 231 off and swaping inputs with my 249.
    Dave and I both, from wheeling heaven, 2-fisting beers, say...

NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!!!!!
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

5. #105 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Well my 242 went to shit and I have my hands on a 231. Haven't read much on a TJ tcase (mostly XJ's).

Will a TJ 99 231 (4.0/AX15) swap into a ZJ 97 242 (4.0) spot? Any problems? The guy swears it will but I don't want to go through all the hassle just to find out he's wrong.

TIA
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

6. #106 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    As long as the input gears match up it should be fine. And if they don't, it's not hard to swap them around.

7. #107 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    You may also need a new shift tab as stated in previous posts.
    My Junk
    ! ______
    / ] ] ]\___\,__
    L--|-|-|---[]|||[]
    ()_)....()_)---)_)

8. #108 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Go ahead and kick my teeth in for this, but...

I know why the 231 is prefered over the 249...viscous coupler=shit, but why is it better than a 242? Just curious, I have 242s in both my ZJs, they seem tough, I've only killed one...and that was all my fault.

Commence beating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

9. #109 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    231's are lighter and smaller i believe, couldnt be positive though.

10. #110 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty View Post

I know why the 231 is prefered over the 249...viscous coupler=shit, but why is it better than a 242? Just curious, I have 242s in both my ZJs, they seem tough, I've only killed one...and that was all my fault.

Commence beating!
    Aftermarket support being #1 - full sye (no H&T)

For some reason my 242 bent the output shaft by only breaking the pinion u-joint on the rear D/S. I didn't even tear up the rear shaft on rocks, just came down on the rear tires and that's what let go. Last year I tore up the rear shaft a bit on Holy Cross and Spring Creek, but in no way taco'd it. The H&T seemed to hold up fine, but the output shaft wobbles causing some serious vibes above 50 mph. (My chain started to slip occasionally too).

With that being said, I'm going 231, I'm not throwing $300 into this one just to do it again in 6 mo. But, would I have made the swap just for the sake of it... no.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

11. #111 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post
    231's are lighter and smaller i believe, couldnt be positive though.
    The 231 is smaller/lighter, as for which one is stronger, I've seen the argument go both ways.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

12. #112 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    231 is smaller, lighter and stronger, more aftermarket support and also easier to find.

There is really no arguement on what is stronger. New Venture puts out the specs for their cases and it's right there in black and white.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

13. #113 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 

Commence beating!
    Damn guys...I'm a fucking idiot for this..my bad.

I honestly searched for 231 vs. 242, in all possible "search" configs and came up with shit....anyways, got around to searching for 242 sye and that search popped up like six threads answering my question.

My bad.

End of the day..imma ride my 242 till it implodes, then getting a 231HD. Thanks.

~dirty
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

14. #114 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Well I made the swap, but not without a hitch.

It seems that the non tapered input shaft on the 231 wouldn't fit in the place of the tapered input of the 242. So, instead of breaking down the tcases, I just used a grinder and tapered the 231 to look like the 242 input. I used a drill with a socket to spin the output nut and it worked pretty slick. (took off about 1/4")

1997 ZJ/4.0L NV242

1999 TJ/4.0/5 spd NV231

It's all back together and no vibs up to 80 mph. Also, the 242 linkage bolted right up to the 231. The shift indicator was the only other thing that didn't plug in (expected).

All in all, a direct swap.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-23-2008 at 12:02 AM.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

15. #115 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Was stick out length of the input the issue?
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

16. #116 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    Was stick out length of the input the issue?
    The overall length if the input wasn't a issue (with the taper), but there was a ring around the tranny shaft where it would hit about 1/4" and stop before seating (it wasn't a seal, just a metal ring after the splines).

I should have taken some pics, it would've been easy to see the problem/fix.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

17. #117 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I have a 95 ZJ with a 3" Skyjacker Lift, the 249 Tcase, and the 5.2 v8. My VC has gone bad and I have ordered a 231 Tcase from a 95 ZJ through Orielly's Auto Parts. I have not received or seen the Tcase I have ordered yet so I don't know if the input shaft lengths are the same. Since they come from the same year and model should these be a direct swap?

I am hoping I don't have to swap a driveshaft or anything.
    Last edited by 88gtman; 08-02-2008 at 04:38 PM.

18. #118 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88gtman View Post
    I have a 95 ZJ with a 3" Skyjacker Lift, the 249 Tcase, and the 5.2 v8. My VC has gone bad and I have ordered a 231 Tcase from a 95 ZJ through Orielly's Auto Parts. I have not received or seen the Tcase I have ordered yet so I don't know if the input shaft lengths are the same. Since they come from the same year and model should these be a direct swap?

I am hoping I don't have to swap a driveshaft or anything.
    Just depends what input shaft they put in it, they vary depending on what transmission they come behind. Only way to tell if the shafts match is to measure and compare them.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

19. #119 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Well, for those of you who think they can figure out a t-case input shaft design without pulling it, think again...

I have a worn out 242 in a '93 Heep Grand 'Larado with the AW4 tranny & 4.0..all stock. I bought a 231 with SYE from Shorty_ZJ (Thanks again! if you read this!), it came out of a '93 Heep Grand 'Larado with the AW4 tranny & 4.0..all stock.

Behold....new 231 on left, old 242 on right....motherf&^%$#r!!!!!!!

New 231.... (I put on sandals after opening a beer...after I saw this.)

Old 242...

Anywho, thanks for the write up BigDave, it was help full, and you are right...t-cases are heavy...moreso by yourself.

So there you have it...."It's a Jeep thing, nobody understands."

EDIT: I thought maybe it would still go, lol. (Desperation) It doesn't, stops at exactly the differences in measurements. For the record, spline count is identical and taper is present on both. FYI.
    Last edited by dirty; 09-15-2008 at 08:34 PM.

20. #120 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Time to swap input shafts! Really not that hard to do if you have a good set of snap ring pliers.

21. #121 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Time to swap input shafts! Really not that hard to do if you have a good set of snap ring pliers.
    x2. Snap-on snapring pliers work fairly well. And the Autozone brand ones work surprisingly well too.

22. #122 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    there has to be something more to that....
    ZJ's didn't use the vacuum shift indicator... did that come out of a XJ or something? are you sure shorty doesn't have a V8?
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

23. #123 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    x2. Snap-on snapring pliers work fairly well. And the Autozone brand ones work surprisingly well too.
    Thanks fellas...yea, I know. I was just hoping to avoid all that...that's the only reason I drove to Denver for a darn t-case, haha.

Oh well, that was a fun trip anyways, thanks to the Colorado crew!

Hey, if you don't mind onther question...should I swap out the front drive outputs too...the 231 looks short to me? Or is that a "put it up there and see thing"?

24. #124 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    there has to be something more to that....
    ZJ's didn't use the vacuum shift indicator... did that come out of a XJ or something? are you sure shorty doesn't have a V8?
    You know what, he might have had a V8...I never actually met Shorty...only his brother Steve, lol. We had talked about the Stroker I built so maybe I assumed he had a I6. I know he did have a '93 with an AW4 though. Still, I think they should be the same, lol. Darn Heeps. Good thinking though!

25. #125 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Thanks fellas...yea, I know. I was just hoping to avoid all that...that's the only reason I drove to Denver for a darn t-case, haha.

Oh well, that was a fun trip anyways, thanks to the Colorado crew!

Hey, if you don't mind onther question...should I swap out the front drive outputs too...the 231 looks short to me? Or is that a "put it up there and see thing"?
    Swap complete...hope it "goes." Took lots of pictures...

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17376

And to answer my question about front output yolk, duh, you can't swap them they are different sizes.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Thread Information