Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

ZJ 231 Swap - Page 3

Thread: ZJ 231 Swap

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball
    I just picked up my 231 yesterday and the owner had to keep the speedo gear housing for his Atlas, will the one from my 249 just plug right in??
    However, if i am not mistaken, there is an adjuster on the speedo housing that may need to be adjusted. if it is too tight it will apple core the speedo gears.

2. #52 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Yes the speedo housing rotates to adjust for the speedo gear size.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

3. #53 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by robselina
    Okay, found the shift cover part number its #5521.7369

Now as for the tab:

Is it #12 in this pic?
    I got with my local Jeep dealer and he didn't have a clue. He swears up and down that the 231 did not come in the ZJ and that the part number 5209 8319 is for a whole transfer case priced at $1000.

I'd like to get this swap done this weekend. I have a 231 out of a 92 XJ that had an AX15 and it is the short input shaft. I also have a xfer case out of a 92 Dakota that has the long shaft. I don't know what my 249 is yet but I will first thing Saturday morning. I just want to make sure I have everything I need, including this "tab", so I can do the swap.
    Thanks y'all.

4. #54 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    i just cut the one we from the 249....

works perfect for me, shifts better than the 249 ever did
    94 ZJ 4.0L
    3.5" RE lift
    1" spacers
    231 swap
    33-10.5 TSL radials
    tomken rear bumper with tire carrier
    claytons original pinch seam mounted rock rails
    ARB bull bar

5. #55 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    What did you cut? Is the hole to hole measurement the same and you rounded the outside? Got a before shot? 'course, I guess I could go look at my wifes ZJ.

Thanks.

6. #56 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    yeah the wholeoutside is an oval before, no before shot, sorry, something was in the way before, the tab couldn't move past it, so we took that L shaped slot out of the bottom left
    94 ZJ 4.0L
    3.5" RE lift
    1" spacers
    231 swap
    33-10.5 TSL radials
    tomken rear bumper with tire carrier
    claytons original pinch seam mounted rock rails
    ARB bull bar

7. #57 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Okay, I just finished pulling the 249 out of a '95 ZJ. It has the long input 23 spline.

I have two other transfer cases in my garage.
    #1 231J out of a '91 XJ with short input
    #2 231D out of a '92 Dakota with long input

The inputs of the dakota and the ZJ are the same. Is there any reason I can't combine the 231j and 231D? or Can I put the entire 231D strait in?

I want to get this done tomorrow.
    Thanks Everyone.

8. #58 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    if the inputs are the same you can throw it in...linkage will need some adjusting though
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

9. #59 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    It's all good. Thanks to everyone for the info and the advice.
    The final outcome was as follows.
    95 Grand Cherokee V8 with np249 with long input.
    I used the front half of a 92 Dodge Dakota 231D with a long input and the back half of a 91 XJ 231J. I also used the shift linkage off of the cherokee and adjusted the upper linkage a little. I used the speedo out of the 249. the only thing that doesn't work is the sensor that tells you what position your tcase is in. Oh, darn.

Everything bolted up great and it doesn't make any sound going down the road. Again, thanks for the advice all.

10. #60 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I'm thinking about playing this game in sort of reverse. I have a NV249 that was recently worked on by the Jeep dealer (came from a still driving but not street legal tee boned '93 ZJ with 4.0L AW4) New chain and resealed. I tried the figure 8 test, but couldn't turn the ZJ far enough to the right to tell (one lower arm on the front diff was bent with the bracket) but it seemed to work fine. No-one near me in Seattle wants it for $100 but lots are interested in the NV231 in my '93 XJ (4.0L with AW4 also). Since it's the wife's rig, making it full time 4x4 isn't much of an issue because our driveway is a 6 mile class 1 trail.
    My big question is "Do I need to mod the driveshafts or are they the same length?" I have the ZJ front shaft, but the rear was bent and probably a different length anyways.

11. #61 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    The 231 out of a 91 cherokee and the 249 out of a 95 ZJ were the same leangths and had the same outputs. It should work providing you follow all of the info provided in this post.

12. #62 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I just swapped out my 249 in favor of a 231 from an 01 TJ. Fit perfectly except for the rear DS being too long (I'll address this by doing what swampboy did).

The only other problem I can see is that I think the 231 is clocked a little differently. If the front drivers side flexes any, it looks like the front DS will come in contact with the crossmember. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking of cutting and rewelding the crossmemeber a little bit, but i'm worried about strength issues. Any advice?

13. #63 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver85327
    someone was asking about a 242 write up so I thought I would provide it. It even comes with a burn out pic at the end. Enjoy.

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html
    Damn Swampy, your ZJ is super SMOKIN'!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    What a fucking concept, eh? How dare you bring logic to this thread. What are you, some kind of asshole?

14. #64 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Just curious if anyone knows as to what other cases will bolt to the trans (46/5.2) in the ZJ other than the 231...what about the 241 or hd version or 271? ?

15. #65 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    someone has done the 241 but you don't hear much about this swap b/c they are harder to find and more expensive to get. Heck, it's easier to find a 242 AMG out of a H1 than a used 241. with $$ anything is possible
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

16. #66 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Anyone know what's involved with the 241, after reading this i wonder how many more shots that case is gonna take before it grenades, and i was gonna add another 75 hp to it....i'll wait and see what's what with the 241 or hd install

17. #67 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    After reading this thread, I still haven't made up my mind about whether to go with a 231 or a 242. Living in the Northeast, a FT 4WD option is really nice, but the 231's extra strength does sound like a good idea. The idea of a 242HD sounds like the perfect solution. What did they come in? Are there other issues that would make one more difficult to swap?

I know there are vendors who can sell you a fully built 242HD with all the right shafts/splines/etc to bolt right up to my current DS's and trans, but they want something like $1,200, (fully waranteed mind you, but still a lot of money!)
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

18. #68 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    There is always the NP208J from a Full size FSJ. ('80 to '88 as an option with auto and standard equip with manual trans) I haven't test fit the one I have to the 42RE I have (to see if it needs a clocking ring for a spacer) but it's factory fixed yoke and stronger than the NP231.

19. #69 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline
    What did they come in? Are there other issues that would make one more difficult to swap?

I know there are vendors who can sell you a fully built 242HD with all the right shafts/splines/etc to bolt right up to my current DS's and trans, but they want something like $1,200, (fully waranteed mind you, but still a lot of money!)
    they came in the durango 98-2000 probably others...
    they even have 23 spline input and 27 output. they also have .840 input length which is the same as the 96-98 ZJ 4.0L and maybe some v8's, but the input should be able to swap if it's not right for your application.
    the bad thing about it is that it has NO speedo hole b/c the durango has the speed sensor at the wheel if I remember correctly.. and the rear driveshaft length might have to change since the durango case has internal slip vs the ZJ 96-98 242 external slip but might be ok if you have a 249 since they are internal slip already
    Last edited by DJJordache; 07-06-2006 at 08:56 AM.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

20. #70 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I test fit the NP208J to the 42RE I have last night. If the centering nub wasn't there (on the trans output shaft) it would bolt right up. A thick clocking ring would allow it to work.

PS: If anyone needs a NV249, it ends today(sold for $50!)
    Last edited by carnuck; 07-07-2006 at 03:00 AM.

21. #71 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache
    they came in the durango 98-2000 probably others...
    they even have 23 spline input and 27 output. they also have .840 input length which is the same as the 96-98 ZJ 4.0L and maybe some v8's, but the input should be able to swap if it's not right for your application.
    the bad thing about it is that it has NO speedo hole b/c the durango has the speed sensor at the wheel if I remember correctly.. and the rear driveshaft length might have to change since the durango case has internal slip vs the ZJ 96-98 242 external slip but might be ok if you have a 249 since they are internal slip already
    I guess that's the same as a regular 242 TC. '99 on used the electronic speedometer. Anyone know any pre-'98 applications for the 242HD???
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

22. #72 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    241 and 241HD should be fairly common, that's Cummins powered Dodge trucks have, maybe the gassers too?

I swapped from a 249 to a 242 then to a 231, never changed input shafts, shifter linkages, etc and I've never had a problem. 242 was from a ZJ and the 231 from an XJ.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

23. #73 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    ZJs went to electronic speedos in '94 AFAIK. I have the VSS from one in my parts collection.

24. #74 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by carnuck
    ZJs went to electronic speedos in '94 AFAIK. I have the VSS from one in my parts collection.
    I think the concern is for us ZJ guys not to try to use one of the later TC's that have no speedometer hole at all. You can easily switch a sensor, but if the case has no hole, you have no speedo.

Take a look at this chart:

http://www.drivetrain.com/transferca...AND%20CHEROKEE

Support Our Troops!!!

25. #75 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    No offer of a 241? i wonder if then you wouldn't be able to use a 241 or 241hd at all?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Thread Information