Thread: ZJ 231 Swap

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. #176 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Great writeup

2. #177 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Ok so it's been awhile since I've been on here and the jeep has been sitting and I'm finally ready to do this , the 8.8 swap and the hp30 swap. I've read this thread about 100 times and Im slightly confused. I have a mystery year xj 231 case and my 94 xj 239. Can I make just these two cases work by swapping the input and planetary gear or do I need to buy a new gear for the 231 to match the input shaft from the 239 ? Also ifi have adjustable rear links do I need to shorten my drive shaft or can I just make it up there?
    "Say fuck you to Mother Nature, and kick her in the face! "
    94 Limited- 4.5" ghetto lift, Ghetto 33x12.50 Mud Kings, Ghetto wheels, Crappy stickers, some dents, custom front bumper(too be mounted), Kevins rad. support.
    Looking for 1980s VW Rabbit truck

3. #178 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I've been trying to figure this out using the search button, and maybe I haven't read far enough, but here is my question.

I have a '96 ZJ, and my np242 just blew up. the CV joint seized up, and the energy transferred, ripped the TC apart. I want the guy doing the work to put in an NP231. I need to know what year vehicle came with this TC, and it has to bolt right on and work for this guy to warranty his work. I've read about input shaft splines needing to be 23 count, and lengths. I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff, and need the specifics for this swap to be successful on a '96 ZJ with the 4.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any information about my rig is needed I will try and get that ASAP. My mechanic has found a direct replacement 242, for $550, but since I want to run lockers, and tires 35" and larger, I've read the 231 is the way to go. Thanks for any help that is given.

Andrew
    Saepe Exertus, SempFidelis, er Frater Infinitas
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

4. #179 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    I should also note that my rig has an automatic, and I'm not sure of the exact model. I think the AX15's were a 4 speed. Not sure if overdrive is considered a 4th gear or not. Also my front drive shaft needs replacing, along with whatever else twisted. I do plan on a SYE, and rear DS, because I have a 4.5" lift, and don't want the vibrations I was getting... I did read through this whole thread, and though the 4.0 was mentioned. The entire thread basically has been discussing 5.2's, and 5.9's going from 249's to 231s, and 242's. The '96 4.0 going from a 242 to a 231, specifically is what I need to know. Again, any information bestowed upon me is greatly appreciated.

5. #180 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC MAD HATTER View Post
    I should also note that my rig has an automatic, and I'm not sure of the exact model. I think the AX15's were a 4 speed. Not sure if overdrive is considered a 4th gear or not. Also my front drive shaft needs replacing, along with whatever else twisted. I do plan on a SYE, and rear DS, because I have a 4.5" lift, and don't want the vibrations I was getting... I did read through this whole thread, and though the 4.0 was mentioned. The entire thread basically has been discussing 5.2's, and 5.9's going from 249's to 231s, and 242's. The '96 4.0 going from a 242 to a 231, specifically is what I need to know. Again, any information bestowed upon me is greatly appreciated.
    any np231 with the same length imput shaft out of a jeep will work

6. #181 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Thank you for the quick reply. I hope that's true, but i need to be sure. Do all 96 4.0 ZJ's have the same input shaft lengths on the 242's? if so which 231 , and from which year/model vehicle come with that same length? They guy doing the work orders rebuilds from a parts supplier, and it would make things easier for him to track down the part if I can give him the correct year, and model vehicle to order of from. Hope that makes sense. Time is sensitive, because he will start charging me to store it, untill I can get this info to him in a timely manner. again thanks for your reply. still waiting for more feed back on this. And any other factors I may need to be aware of, for an easy install.

7. #182 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    lets put it this way, pull your 231 from any 96 or newer jeep XJ/TJ and its a bolt in affair, any 231 rebuild kit for a 96 or newer will work just make sure it has 23 splines on the input and the same length input, and you dont have an ax15 because they are a manual, yours is more than likely a 42RE, good luck.

some refrence material......http://www.jbconversions.com/product...1j/rebuild.php
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/52270_104.htm
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm
    Last edited by cowboy63b; 03-01-2012 at 01:17 AM.
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

8. #183 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    So one from a '95 ZJ 4.0L won't be a direct swap in affair? And a '96 XJ will. I was told on another forum, the 95 ZJ was the one to get, so that's what I told the mechanic. He's being a baby, and telling me how he does things, which is order the same part, take old one off, and put new one in. I know this job isn't hard, which is destroying my confidence in this guy, who came so highly recommended. I told them they might have to swap out the input shaft, but that should be the only problem. they were like whoa, so there may be issues? Anyways, let me know if I have to call this guy back, and tell him nay on the '95 ZJ, or not. also will I have any issues with the drive shafts? most likely need to replace both. I have a 4.5" lift, and do plan on getting a sye. Thanks for the help so far. I do greatly appreciate it. Wish I had the time to do this myself. it honestly seems like it would be a good install for me. Too bad I just don't have the time, and space.

9. #184 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    A 95 ZJ 231 might be a direct swap. There were 3 different inputs.

96 was when the input was standardized.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

10. #185 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Thanks guys

11. #186 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    So the swap took place, and the sye is installed, and the custom drive shafts as well. Now here's my problem. The damn thing won't shift at all. I don't have the right linkage with that bracket/shift selector thingy. Forgive me for not using the proper wordage. Anyways does anyone know where I can buy one? I'm done looking through junkyards for now. I need this thing before the snow falls here. A part number, and any heads up/slash advice would be appreciated. I was originally told the darn thing should still shift, but I would have to know where to stop it. Which I do, but it won't budge. It is a rebuilt TC. So I hope there isn't something wrong with it. I think the guy who installed it, did it wrong, and maybe things are binding. Sigh... I'll be standing by, patiently, waiting for a response. Thanks for your help in advance.

Andy.

12. #187 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Have you gone under the Jeep and tried to manually shift it with your hand? That would the first thing to check in my book. If you can't move the selector by hand then my guess would be something is wrong inside the case. Also don't forget to choke the wheels and put the parking brake on.

13. #188 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Badger View Post
    Have you gone under the Jeep and tried to manually shift it with your hand? That would the first thing to check in my book. If you can't move the selector by hand then my guess would be something is wrong inside the case. Also don't forget to choke the wheels and put the parking brake on.
    No, I haven't. I did look, but don't remember how things are suppose to look. I'll try to move it tomorrow. It's dark, and cold as hell. So when I go to move the selector, I should have the shift linkage disconnected? Or should it move fairly easily?

14. #189 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Ive seen someone re-install the shift linkage upside down. They installed a junkyard case themselves, then brought it to me to figure out what was wrong.

I agree with checking it by hand. I would disconnect the linkage so that you can determine wether its a case issue or a linkage issue. If the case shifts by hand then its obviously a linkage issue, if not than its a case issue.
    01 Laredo 4" claytons, 33x12.5-15 MTR K's, ARB/M8000, 231hd, lockright

15. #190 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    ok so im able to pick up a 231 and i just want to make sure i have this right, theres a chance it may swap right in no problem other than the shift tab and bezel then theres a chance i will have to swap the input shaft from my 242 into the 231 as long as its the same gear cut and if its not the same gear cut ill have to either find one or buy one. am i understanding this right?
    Jacob
    1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and IRO OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's
    Artec trussed 8.8

16. #191 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    yes
    01 Laredo 4" claytons, 33x12.5-15 MTR K's, ARB/M8000, 231hd, lockright

17. #192 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    ok good, too bad i cant get it for less than $200
    Jacob
    1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and IRO OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's
    Artec trussed 8.8

18. #193 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    i got my 231 for my 97 zj out of a 2000 xj for 140$ pulled and delivered to my door, i forgot to ask the guy what year it was before we made the deal, i guess i got lucky, it bolted up but it was about an inch longer than the 249 so i had to make the rear d/s work

19. #194 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Just picked up a 98 Zj 5.9 last week. Have a 231d out of a Dodge ram probably 96-97. Is this a swap able unit? Thanks!

20. #195 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    I think the output spline count is different. You may be able to swap parts to make it work, but it is not a direct bolt in. It does have the wide chain and if you have it apart find a 6 planetary gear set for additional strength.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

21. #196 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Ok, thanks! Transfer casehas just been taken up space in my garage. My drivetrain buddy is going to help with the swap, so as long is can be done we can do it. I just didn't want to open a can of worms or gut mine and the other doesn't work... I can go pull a Xj 231 from the junkyard for 100 Bucks, but will have to open regardless as I will be rebuilding anyways, so Which Way would you guys go?

22. #197 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    After a little research it looks like you are correct the output is different so I may just have to get a different yoke put on when I get the driveshaft shortened Right

23. #198 Re: ZJ 231 Swap 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Or add a SYE?
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Thread Information