Thread: Project Red Velvet

1. #1 Project Red Velvet 
    Hey MC Crew! Decided to throw up a thread for my recent acquisition. The aptly name Project Red Velvet has the uber rare bright red interior. Offered only during the '93 model year and in 20 years of Jeeps just the 3rd one that I have seen. One of those being the Tuna Boat that I am sure you are all familiar with. Looking at 84k miles with the 5.2 V8 (the other 2 I have seen are I6's). Recently met its demise at the hands of a tree and has been parked in the garage for the last 6 months. The previous owner finally brought themselves to let it go, so I had to snatch it up. The thread is a bit premature as I still need to get it transported here but I do have the title in hand.

This will be a long project as I have other things to focus on at the moment, so updates will be slow to come. The goal is to restore it to its former glory with minimal impact to the interior. Looking at 35s or better, it will be built as a crawler. Body swapping it is not off the table, it just depends on what that front end looks like once I get everything pulled off. That is not my preference though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Previous NAXJA Colorado Chapter President

2. #2 Re: Project Red Velvet 
    Love it! Nice find and good luck. So much red velour!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. #3 Re: Project Red Velvet 
    Wasn't really ready for axles but couldn't pass up the deal. 05+ Super Duty 60 and '08 GM 14 bolt (8x6.5), new unit bearings up front and I'll avoid the metric pattern nonsense that comes with a 60/sterling setup.

Last edited by 91 Jeep Project; 10-21-2020 at 11:17 PM.

4. #4 Re: Project Red Velvet 
    Well the ZJ wasn't worth the effort to save. The passenger side rail is heavily damaged and the motor is sitting back and left an inch. It would be over a grand just to pull the rail straight and there is no guarantee it would be perfectly square when all said and done. On top of that this Jeep is from Indiana and while undercoated with low miles it does still have rust hiding underneath. My standard for rust is pretty much California. So all that combined made it a pretty easy choice.

So I picked up a '95 limited for less than the cost of the framework. Colorado Jeep its whole life, clean as a whistle, 215k miles and a slipping tranny. Drivetrain and interior will be moving over from the '93. Let the shenanigans begin!

Last edited by 91 Jeep Project; 11-20-2020 at 02:27 PM.

5. #5 Re: Project Red Velvet 
    Sad the first one was too far gone, but glad you aren't giving up on a ZJ.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thread Information