Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hp Dana 30 /zj question

Thread: Hp Dana 30 /zj question

1. #1 Hp Dana 30 /zj question 
    So I got a clapped out old xj for cheap has a 231 t case I知 gonna snag and a hp 30 I知 new to building jeeps so my question is this can I run this style axle and shave the mount for the passenger side off ? Also what does this solenoid looking thing do ? Is it a locker of some sort ?

And anything else u guys can chime in that I might need to change on it for my zj would be great thank you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. #2 Re: Hp Dana 30 /zj question 
    That's an early style axle with the vacuum disconnect. The "solenoid looking thing" is the vacuum actuator which is activated by a switch on the transfer case. That slides a collar linking the two piece axle shaft on the long side together. It was a way Jeep tried to reduce rotating drag for fuel economy while eliminating manual locking hubs. You can replace the two piece axle shaft with a one piece shaft, but the cast section that houses the vacuum actuator is still a weak link in the housing. It also makes it hard to add brackets for any type of long arm setup.

What mount are you wanting to shave on the passenger side? There are three between the upper arm, lower arm, and track bar. What are your plans for the suspension? Usually if you shave an upper it's on the driver's side to prevent interference with the front driveshaft.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Yjsaabman717; 01-10-2020 at 10:46 PM.

3. #3 Re: Hp Dana 30 /zj question 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    I'd find a different one. You can buy kits to fix that one, not worth the time and energy unless it was already under your rig.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

4. #4 Re: Hp Dana 30 /zj question 
    Quote Originally Posted by Yjsaabman717 View Post
    That's an early style axle with the vacuum disconnect. The "solenoid looking thing" is the vacuum actuator which is activated by a switch on the transfer case. That slides a collar linking the two piece axle shaft on the long side together. It was a way Jeep tried to reduce rotating drag for fuel economy while eliminating manual locking hubs. You can replace the two piece axle shaft with a one piece shaft, but the cast section that houses the vacuum actuator is still a weak link in the housing. It also makes it hard to add brackets for any type of long arm setup.

What mount are you wanting to shave on the passenger side? There are three between the upper arm, lower arm, and track bar. What are your plans for the suspension? Usually if you shave an upper it's on the driver's side to prevent interference with the front driveshaft.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I have a 3 link long arm set up . For the front and 4 link set up for the rear . So that one wouldn稚 be needed . It looks like I値l just be staying with the d30 I have then . I have an iro over axle truss and I知 pretty sure it痴 not gonna work with that actuator . O well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information