Thread: 96 zj issue no crank

1. #1 96 zj issue no crank 
    Tried to post in the tech 4x4 but don’t have permission , and I need some help . So I’ve done what I know and then just started throwing parts at it . So here’s what I’ve done with zero success

New neutral safety switch - it looks to be just a tone ring style sensor . Is there a wrong way to install this other then just thread it in and plug the wires into it ? Also it does have power to the switch

New brake light switch

New ignition switch , still old tumbler

Issue is I have power at the cluster and everywhere else including they starter . I do not have power at the solenoid on the starter with the key on or with it turned to they start position .

I can make a pigtail and jump the starter relay and it fires right up
    I can cross the hot on the starter with the solenoid and it fires right up .

When I turn the key to start position the brake light on the dash comes on and it does nothing .

I’ve tried to start the Jeep in park and in neutral both with brake applied and not applied and nothing .

So with the wire coming up from the starter solenoid I’ve disconnected the pigtail and used a multi meter and am not getting power to that wire . All fuses seem good and have power . At the engine side fuse block
    I do have a abs light but abs isn’t connected
    And they only in cab fuse that seems to have an issue is the back hatch .

At this point I’m kinda lost where to go . Can I just bypass they key switch and do a push start . Jeep only sees dirt for hunting and the occasional rock crawl . Not a daily

One last thing at this point I feel like
    It’s worth mentioning anything to help
    Diagnose and in hopes someone on here gives me some knowledge . They shifter is tough to move out of park . It’s possible but at times is tough . Could that cable that goes up to the steering column have anything to do with a no crank situation. . I believe it’s call a shift interlock system . Is it bypass or removable .

Sorry for such a long post I just tried to give as much details as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Parker_; 01-02-2020 at 09:27 PM.

2. #2 Re: 96 zj issue no crank 
    ........crickets I wanna go jeepin. So is there a chance that the actual
    Ignition tumbler . Part that they key inserts into could be the cause ?

3. #3 Re: 96 zj issue no crank 
    It could be a problem with the security system. I'm not sure that the security system in the ZJ is that sophisticated, or not, though.

Yes, the cable from the column is just a shift interlock and uses signal from the brake pedal to unlock the shifter. This may be linked to your issue of it being hard to get out of park.

You have main power to the starter relay, and the circuit out to the solenoid is good if you can jumper the relay. The next thing to check is for signal and ground on the other two pins, as those are what close the relay and engage the starter. I don't have a wiring diagram handy to tell you which is which, though, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4. #4 Re: 96 zj issue no crank 
    Quote Originally Posted by Yjsaabman717 View Post
    It could be a problem with the security system. I'm not sure that the security system in the ZJ is that sophisticated, or not, though.

Yes, the cable from the column is just a shift interlock and uses signal from the brake pedal to unlock the shifter. This may be linked to your issue of it being hard to get out of park.

You have main power to the starter relay, and the circuit out to the solenoid is good if you can jumper the relay. The next thing to check is for signal and ground on the other two pins, as those are what close the relay and engage the starter. I don't have a wiring diagram handy to tell you which is which, though, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I went through it all and couldn’t find a single thing wrong . After 4 days of disappointment and throwing parts it’s now a push button start . Key turns it off still and have a dead man switch with a relay etc going to a distribution block . While not ideal I’m over it lol . It’s time to drive the damn thing instead of work on it lol

Thread Information