Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Lady Liberty Project: KJ

Thread: Lady Liberty Project: KJ

1. #1 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    So I have ventured into uncharted junk yards once again and rescued a kJ from Jeep hell
    She’s got a new engine and a bunch of other done to the powertrain so for a few hundred bucks I wrapped myself in another money pit.

As I got her

Although some of the body panels are a bit rough the ifs suspension was wasted (of which would be torn out anyway).

c

And the build began

A wee cutting and stitching

Plated and boxed the front “frame ears”

"ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

2. #2 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Time for a big boy axle

And some sexy

And built a front crossmember using the current one and adding to it so I can mount lca in a double triangulation 4-link

Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 05-25-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

3. #3 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    And some uca brackets trying to keep them in a good path

Could almost set it on the axle and it all still clears

Nice flexibility with the links

4. #4 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    I decided to build in the bumper and tie the cage in to reinforce the unibody

I’ll have to pull the grill to install or remove the winch but hopefully I’m not doing that to often...!

Rusty rockers get cut and raised with 1.5”x3” .250 wall box tube

Added a bit more to the cage

Tied the coilover towers to the fender rails

5. #5 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    More cage stuff

Tying in the roof

Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 05-25-2019 at 10:00 AM.

6. #6 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Time for the rear axle
    Pulled out the 8.25 and cleared all the old brackets

Rear sterling 10.5 got trussed and brackets

I used some channel to build an inner frame

And time to build a rear crossmember

Test fit

Added the upper brackets and welded her in

7. #7 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Rear links again double triangulation

Painted

Using my old 37s to get an idea for clearance

Then a belly skid is happening

Rails on the bottom as slide points between uca brackets
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 05-25-2019 at 10:34 AM.

8. #8 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Now I have a new problem...

the rear coilover won’t fit between the frame rail and the tire... so to cut out a notch and box it or mount it another way?

9. #9 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    John Boulder
    Ted Z

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    01 WJ

10. #10 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    If you go inboard the tank looks to be in the way. Cut and make a new sub frame to mount to.

You have been busy! Looks nice!
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

11. #11 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    So this is what’s happening... to late to change now lol

Inside for tying cage to shock mount
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 05-25-2019 at 09:52 PM.

12. #12 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    [QUOTE=Ted Z;356845]

13. #13 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    This is ridiculous and unnecessary. Which is why I love it.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

14. #14 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by ELLLLLIOTTTTT View Post
    This is ridiculous and unnecessary. Which is why I love it.
    Precisely... and yet some say that about grands...

15. #15 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Very cool build! Although those axles doubled the weight of the KJ.....

Looks great!
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

16. #16 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Solid KJ build. They have just overall underwhelmed me in encounters with them at work. But, like was said above, some said that about the ZJ and WJ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

17. #17 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Sorry I'm late to the party. All I can say is wow! Keep it up.

With regards to the rear coil over mounts... you need to come up with a way to plate/box the inside of the unibody frame rail to replace the material you removed. Something like the rear TJ coil over mounts that notches the frame.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

18. #18 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    I’m in process of moving shops right now but still sneaking in some time on this thing
    I have this back piece so far and plan to box it in a bit inside the frame and above
    While thinking I need an opening to remove the shock

And this on the outside in the fender well

And

19. #19 Re: Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Whoa. Rad. This is awesome.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

20. #20 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Got a bit more done on the B-section but of course progress is slow mainly because I’m moving to a new shop and I’m helping to close out a business
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 06-10-2019 at 04:48 PM.

21. #21 Lady Liberty Project: KJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    With regards to the rear coil over mounts... you need to come up with a way to plate/box the inside of the unibody frame rail to replace the material you removed. Something like the rear TJ coil over mounts that notches the frame
    Any thoughts on my “box” idea? And tying the cut out area to the cross bar section of the cage?
    I would like to close it off to the outside for family reasons like water, dirt, fumes and not dropping stuff trough there while driving
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 06-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Thread Information