Thread: JK Rubicon 44's

1. #1 JK Rubicon 44's 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    So I've been trying to casually keep an eye out for JK Rubi 44's for when I start moving stuff over to the 5.9 for a number of reasons. Selectable lockers and redundancy with Pam's JK among the top reasons. Mounting up bracketry and such isn't a concern at all. I would think with the number of people tricking out JK's that these would be pretty easy to come by but I can't even find a stock set to get an idea of what the cost will be.

I know I'd probably be better off building some junkyard axles, but trying to keep down on the number of parts that I carry.

For those that have done the JK axles, are you getting just the 30/44 combo or are you actually finding rubi 44's?

2. #2 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    As I am sure you are aware the JK axles are wider 63" WMS to WMS and have a different bolt pattern 5 on 5 compared the ZJs. Bolt pattern change would be a plus for you to be same as the JK, but the ZJs are like 58" WMS to WMS so you will need to factor in wheel offset or deal with almost full width axles under the ZJ. They are basically the same as a WJ which is why JK axles in WJs has been popular for some time now.

Otherwise the JK 30 is a HP type axle and is pretty well supported by the aftermarket suppliers. Seems Rubi axles are expensive when you do find them.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

3. #3 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    ZJ's are a little closer to 60" WMS if I remember right. The 8.8's are closer to 58" and that's why many run (myself included) run 1.25" wheel spacers on them. I'm not really concerned with the width, as much to Scott's chagrin I am going to hack the shit out of the fenders on the 5.9 lol.

Pretty well set on doing it, just stumped as to why I can't find any.

4. #4 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Found this thread searching ZJ WMS to make sure I was remembering right, LOL'd at the names in it. https://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9230

5. #5 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Well I am certainly for the idea of putting the wider axles under your 5.9, there is no shortage of full width 65" axles under a ZJ as it is. JK axles are also high pinion which is a plus in my book. I like the idea of designing it from the beginning. I have seen JK axles pop up now and then, Rubi versions they ask too much money, where the HP30/44s are realistic. Maybe check some of the shops and let them know you are looking for a take off set. They may have a project that the owner will eventually need to part with their axles.

PS: I have a plasma cutter!!!

That thread was from 2003 BTW. LOL
    Last edited by Mtn WJ; 04-03-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

6. #6 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The JK 30/44 combo is certainly more price effective, but that's not really an upgrade at all over what I currently have. I would imagine a more stock set of axles would be a fair bit cheaper than the one you texted me too.

7. #7 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Suppose w JK 30/44 you really would'nt have same level of compatibility with your JKUR either.
    Last edited by Mtn WJ; 04-03-2019 at 12:53 PM.

8. #8 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Maybe expand your search perimeter...I bought my JK44 front from a guy in texas. He was actually able to ship it to me by way of FedEx. An empty housing is JUST under 100 lbs. He just wrapped in in plastic wrap and they shipped it like that! He zip tied the knuckles to it. Then I bought an ARB for it and geared it locally. Since I am not running a JK rear axle I was not as concerned with having the stock JK locker, your needs may differ. Lots of people want to pay big money for intact JK axles and while I don't remember exactly what I paid for the housing I do know I bought it CHEAP!! In a separate transaction I also bought very lightly used RCV axles from the same guy, but you would have lots of axle choices if you do buy an empty housing.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

9. #9 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    JK wheels have a higher offset to accommodate the higher axle width. I'm running 1.25" adapters with my JK Rubi wheels and they sit flush with the fenders on the stock 30/35 combo. Depending on your budget I've heard the axle assemblies are actually fairly reasonable from the dealer parts department. It's something worth checking into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10. #10 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Found these, price is definitely in the ballpark of what I was expecting. His post doesn't make any sense though as he says that the axles are still in his jeep but then somehow has pictures of them on a pallet. https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/...865400968.html Timing isn't great either so I'm gonna pass.

11. #11 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I believe he posted an ad with two pairs not that long ago...perhaps he sold the set on the pallets and this set is still under a Jeep? Unless you are going to use the E lockers I would look for something cheaper and sans the lockers.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

12. #12 Re: JK Rubicon 44's 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Gotcha, I hadn't seen the other ad. My plan was to use the e-lockers.

Thread Information