Thread: Steering Column Removal and push button start

1. #1 Steering Column Removal and push button start 
    I have had a 95 Grand Cherokee 5.2 sitting on my property for years. It will be entered into local Tough Truck events. Issue is no key can be found and the steering column is busted in many places. Thoughts are I have a solid racing column in my garage, put that into the grand and then wire a push button start.

Anyone done this?
    Simple as its in my head, still new solid column, wiring push button start?

2. #2 Re: Steering Column Removal and push button start 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I don't see why not, I think you'd just need a toggle for ignition on/off and can have the starter as the button. I wouldn't bother trying to do true push button by today's standards where it's truly hit one button and let go, you need that "run" toggle to keep it simple.

3. #3 Re: Steering Column Removal and push button start 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    I don't see why not, I think you'd just need a toggle for ignition on/off and can have the starter as the button. I wouldn't bother trying to do true push button by today's standards where it's truly hit one button and let go, you need that "run" toggle to keep it simple.

^this
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

4. #4 Re: Steering Column Removal and push button start 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    The 95 ZJs were OBDI which is not really compatible with a true push button start system like with newer cars. Like suggested you can use toggles or a basic key set up like used on hot rod builds and then just put a push button for the starter solenoid. I had a 49 Ford F1 that was push button start via an aftermarket ignition key and a momentary starter button from a tractor. Worked great. I only did it this way because I wanted to put a button in a hole that was on the dash.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

Thread Information