Thread: Coil Bucket Repair HELP!

1. #1 Coil Bucket Repair HELP! 
    Hoping to get some advice after blowing out a rear coil bucket on driver side frame last weekend. I put off the limit straps for too long. Coil Came out and was not in a good spot when the weight of the jeep came back down.

Has anyone had to repair their frame side coil buckets on their ZJ?? I am thinking that the XJ coil conversion brackets from claytons will be the closest. TJ relocation brackets look like they wont locate the spring in the correct spot. I Cant be the first person to have done this.

Any help or advice is appreciated!
    98 ZJ 4.0, 5.5" on 33's. Stock Dana 30/Ford8.8

2. #2 Re: Coil Bucket Repair HELP! 
    I don't think the XJ coil buckets for the front are the same size as the ZJ rears. I do believe that the TJ and ZJs use the same OD spring, so that will limit your choices. Could also just get a coil bucket that is used on the axle and put it upside down on the frame.

Sorry I'm not more help. I haven't had to change coil buckets; when I noticed that my droop was enough that I might lose a spring I put in limit straps.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

3. #3 Re: Coil Bucket Repair HELP! 
    Thanks Ken I appreciate the response.

I'm looking at using the rear coil conversion brackets the claytons makes for the XJ. Unfortunately the way the ZJ buckets mount to the side of the unibody Frame rail is going to force me to get custom on it, fair bit of rot back there as well which is part of the reason it failed.

Thanks again, Ill see if can post some pictures here after the repair is complete.
    98 ZJ 4.0, 5.5" on 33's. Stock Dana 30/Ford8.8

4. #4 Re: Coil Bucket Repair HELP! 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I don't think the XJ coil buckets for the front are the same size as the ZJ rears. I do believe that the TJ and ZJs use the same OD spring, so that will limit your choices. Could also just get a coil bucket that is used on the axle and put it upside down on the frame.

Sorry I'm not more help. I haven't had to change coil buckets; when I noticed that my droop was enough that I might lose a spring I put in limit straps.
    I thought XJ springs were the same diameter as ZJ springs. You can do a front to rear on a ZJ and the the XJs use ZJ coils for a lift? TJ rears are the ones that are much larger in diameter.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

5. #5 Re: Coil Bucket Repair HELP! 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I thought XJ springs were the same diameter as ZJ springs. You can do a front to rear on a ZJ and the the XJs use ZJ coils for a lift? TJ rears are the ones that are much larger in diameter.
    Yup. XJ front, ZJ front/rear, and TJ front are all the same overall diameter, just different lengths and spring rates. TJ rears are a larger overall diameter.

6. #6 Re: Coil Bucket Repair HELP! 
    Well crap. I was wrong. Sorry for the bad information.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

Thread Information