Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s)

Thread: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    This is my post on a 2000 WJ 4.7 for a customer that doesn’t work on his own stuff but wants the perfect Mexico runner...

First he got some iro critical path 7”, 4:56 gears, spartan rear locker custom rear 44hd skid and iro truss
    Along with some Hanson bumpers.. (of which are terrible)

And a custom 31 gal fuel tank...

So all his tools would fit he wanted me to leave a little space in the original tire well

And because of the new tank it needed a new gauge to work with the sending unit and to keep the old one reading to not throw off the jeep computer I tied it to the side of the new sending unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 07-31-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

2. #2 Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    So far everything runs great... in town
    Get it out on the highway and let the heat problems begin

It had a winch mounted to the front and license plate to the front of that so of course the air flow was blocked hence the main over heating issue so the license plate was moved and the fairlead lowered to let more air flow and I cut out the center of the cross bar to allow even more flow

View from the lower openings on the bumper.

Not enough so I removed the winch, cut out the back of the grill and that at least at this point takes care of the engine overheating...

Now the bigger issue
    The fuel is vapor locking something fierce killing the engine after the jeep gets heat soaked and has run at highway speed for at least and hour at which point I release air pressure at the fuel rail and then it will start back up again but will happen more often once it’s done it until I cools

The codes that come in and don’t like to stay clear...

Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 07-31-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

3. #3 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Just curious if I put a inline fuel cooler... but maybe that’s not the problem.
    It’s frustrating enough he’s considered going back to the stock tank but I’m not entirely certain the tank or pump are the cause.
    Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. #4 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    So I’m on a 2 hour test drive and it has done fine at interstate speeds but when I started to slow down coming into a town almost to my turnaround point it vapor locked, died and after 3 attempts to restart I got it to fire drove it to the nearest exit and when I got it to a safe place it died again and refused to start at all with major pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail I’m just trying to make it run again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. #5 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Fix the evap leak (P0455). I had that code on my WJ and it would surge and die occasionally. There was a crack in a hose near the evap canister.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

6. #6 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Also the lean fuel system code could point to a fuel delivery issue. Maybe the non factory fuel pump can't keep up?
    -Ted Z

7. #7 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    I forgot to add that running lean will contribute to the overheating problem. Also ditch that silly aftermarket grill, it too could be hurting air flow.
    -Ted Z

8. #8 Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    Also the lean fuel system code could point to a fuel delivery issue. Maybe the non factory fuel pump can't keep up?
    I just matched the new pump with the same 140psi rating the Jeep calls for
    Or should I go with a higher psi so it’s never maxed?

I forgot to add that running lean will contribute to the overheating problem. Also ditch that silly aftermarket grill, it too could be hurting air flow.
    I’ve told them to but they don’t want to spend $$ for another grill
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 07-31-2018 at 07:18 PM.

9. #9 Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    So I made it back to town and again highway speed was fine until I slowed down at all then it choked and died. Release all the air from the rail wait a few then it would start and go but die again upon slowdown. Now at lower rpm it won’t even go 1 block without dying
    I’m inching my way back to the shop...
    and it’s only 98°! 🤨
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 07-31-2018 at 08:20 PM.

10. #10 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Do you have a way you can put a gauge on the fuel rail and read it while you're driving?
    -Ted Z

11. #11 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Do you have a way you can put a gauge on the fuel rail and read it while you're driving?
    Not that I know of but I’ll check tomorrow.
    It doesn’t do it at all until the jeep has been driven for at least an hour in hot weather... then holy s@#$&#!!!

12. #12 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    How is the tank vented? Whats the gpm of the pump? And whats the condition of the fuel pressure regulator?

When it dies do u have pressure in the tank?

Also check to make sure there isnt a leak on the fuel pickup. You could be sucking air into the fuel system.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

13. #13 Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    How is the tank vented? Whats the gpm of the pump? And whats the condition of the fuel pressure regulator?

When it dies do u have pressure in the tank?

Also check to make sure there isnt a leak on the fuel pickup. You could be sucking air into the fuel system.
    Tank is vented out a tube parallel to the filler neck (factory wj)

I’m told the gpm was matched to the stock but I’m curious if it wasn’t or if it was just pressure that was matched

Pressure regulator is the filter as stock to the wj

No pressure in the tank I did check that and even left the cap off for a bit to see if that would help

Double checked and resealed any and all connections on the pickup side and not finding any air draw
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 08-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.

14. #14 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Also there is another thing going on with this heap...
    it may be something to do with the fact it’s a 2000
    but 4:56 gears and 33” tires should work together to return to stock configuration right?
    Speedo is off by a few mph but it won’t drop below 2500rpm at 70-75 mph and just in general seems to set at higher rpm no matter what.
    Could it be the trans in need of a change?
    4.7 and barely 100k on the clock

15. #15 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    A question I have about the overheating is did run hot and vapor lock before all the mods? And if the customer says no, are they telling the truth?
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

16. #16 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    A question I have about the overheating is did run hot and vapor lock before all the mods? And if the customer says no, are they telling the truth?
    All unknown as he bought it in Kansas drove it to our shop in November and we put the main lift/bumpers on in January-February and it’s been here most of the time

17. #17 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Did a few more mods to help this

Found a stock replacement pump so it matches lph and psi rating and mounted it to the tanks sending unit and removed the other inline external pump that was added

18. #18 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    The external pump may have run out of oomph after having to pull fuel up and out of the tank for so long. They are often designed for pushing more than pulling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

19. #19 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Test drive today went well no more vapor locking new pump in tank did the trick it seems!

And now the cruise button won’t operate... this freakin Jeep

20. #20 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    I just had to replace the brake light switch on mine. The cruise was acting up intermittently and I noticed the brake lights were staying on at times. New switch fixed both issues.

21. #21 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Yjsaabman717 View Post
    I just had to replace the brake light switch on mine. The cruise was acting up intermittently and I noticed the brake lights were staying on at times. New switch fixed both issues.

I had my 02’ do that but my cruise still came on just wouldn’t set.
    This one won’t even come on

22. #22 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Gotcha.

23. #23 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Noticing a rear driveline vibe at highway speed so I checked angles and corrected to match each other at 9.6° and 9.5° but seems to have made it worse... t-case 1 1/4” drop kit messing with that?

24. #24 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    If it has a slip yoke the t case and pinion need to be parallel.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    01 WJ

25. #25 Re: Project shrimp boat (bubba gump’s) 
    Quote Originally Posted by fluxcap View Post
    If it has a slip yoke the t case and pinion need to be parallel.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    As what I’m trying to get but it’s worse now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information