Thread: Project Hugs Version 4.0

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. #101 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    Well crap. Not having decent brakes really sucks, I went through it with a CJ7 I used to have.
    96 ZJ 4.0, AX15, V8 axles, welded rear diff, some lift

2. #102 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjammer View Post
    Well crap. Not having decent brakes really sucks, I went through it with a CJ7 I used to have.
    Yup, it does. I miss driving it, but they are simply not safe. I've just kinda been letting it sit because of the frustration and being tired of throwing parts at.

On an amusing side note, my wife got in to move it yesterday and almost ran it into the utility trailer. She turned the key without pushing the clutch pedal forgetting it's now a manual.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. #103 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    Tried bleeding the brakes again today with a pressure bleeder. Prop valve is still gutted, stopping power is still garbage. Going to try another master cylinder next, not sure where else to go with it.

4. #104 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    I really hope the new master cylinder fixes it for you. On the CJ7 I had the apply piston in the power booster was adjustable, having it set wrong led to either brakes that would drag, or a very low weak pedal. I don't know if a stock power booster would have that adjustment, or if adjusting it would help, but it might be worth checking while you have the master cylinder off.
    96 ZJ 4.0, AX15, V8 axles, welded rear diff, some lift

5. #105 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    Thanks for the insight, I'll have to take a look at that.

I was looking at master cylinders again and the one I purchased last time has had the description changed to read power brakes as opposed to 4 wheel disc. It also lists both ports as being the same size and I'm 99% sure they were different sizes, like the one that came off. Both masters Advance lists have a 1" bore, so no difference there. What a headache this has been.

6. #106 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    Did some more work on the brakes yeaterday. Started at the master cylinder and worked through the whole system. Plugged the ports on the master cylinder, solid pedal. Reinstalled the seal in the proportioning valve and connected the rear circuit, pedal is still solid. Next I disconnected the RF circuit from the tee and blocked it, pedal was still solid. Added the RF circuit and the pedal was mush. Ok, narrowed things down. Just to be sure I blocked the LF circuit, still mushy. For a final test I disconnected the hose from the RF caliper and blocked it off, solid pedal. Off to Advance to exchange the caliper I bought in February. Installed another caliper, bled the front circuit out on both sides, test drive, and....still mush. WTF?!?! Time to walk away again and gather my thoughts.

7. #107 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    Question. Have you had someone watch the flexible hose to the RF caliper? I wonder if it has bad reinforcement in it and it's swelling (expanding) as you step on the brake. Just a wild guess, as you've eliminated everything else in the circuit. I'm assuming that when you disconnected the hose from the caliper, that you blocked off at the hard line and not at the banjo fitting.

Hope this helps.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

8. #108 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    Hoses are all new braided stainless. The pedal also pumps up fine with the hose connected to the brake system, but the caliper removed and the caliper end of the hose blocked shut, so the hose does not seem to be a problem.

I'm starting to think I may need to try a caliper from a different vendor? Not sure what else to do at this point.

9. #109 Re: Project Hugs Version 4.0 
    So I started this past round of wrenching with a few tests. Removed RF caliper, removed pads, inserted wood blocks, and then checked the pedal feel. Still garbage, so it's not in the pads, either. Went back to my hose test, started on the RF, again, disconnected the hose from the caliper, blocked it, had a solid pedal. Next I reconnected the RF and performed the same test on the LF with the same result. So regardless of the side, removing one caliper gives me a solid pedal. Just for S's and G's I disconnected the rear brake circuit from the master and plugged the port. No change with both front calipers connected and bled.

At this point I think my next move is to bypass the proportioning, just to see what happens. Everything else has been tested and replaced. This still makes no sense, but I will figure it out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Thread Information