Thread: NV247J for NV242D swap

1. #1 NV247J for NV242D swap 
    I recently purchased an 03 Limited with the 4.7 HO and 247. I have plenty of knowledge on the 249 to 242,231,etc. swap from owning Xj's and Zj's. The WJ is pretty new to me. I have done some research and I know the Dodge 242D is pretty much the 242HD found in the V8 WJs but my main question is wiring of sensors. Is the sensor different? If so what needs to be used or can be used to fix it? I could careless if it doesn't register right on the dash as long as it doesn't throw a code for not being plugged in.

2. #2 Re: NV247J for NV242D swap 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    There is no speedometer sensor on the WJ tcase or the 242D. I don't think there is a sensor for the mode on the WJ, The dodge might have one, or a vacuum fitting for the axle disconnect.
    Rear drive shaft length might change, front might change if you have the rezeppa style.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

3. #3 Re: NV247J for NV242D swap 
    A little late to this party, but the info might be useful still.

I did the 242HD swap on my '00 that originally had a 247. The swap itself is just like any other t-case swap, so I won't bore you with the details there.

Yes, the 242HD has a mode sensor/switch that will indicate on the dash when you're in 4 full time or part time and I below 4 low as well. Depending on the year of your WJ there are 2 different connectors used. There's a small jumper harness that goes between the main wiring harness on top of the t-case and the mode switch. If you're pulling your t-case from the junkyard be sure to grab this harness from the donor vehicle. The vehicle side connector is the same on all year WJ's, it's just the switch side connector that's different.

All WJ's will have the pigtail for this jumper harness off the main harness that's on top of the t-case, just note that there is a dummy connector/plug in the end of it to prevent dirt/water contamination.

Beware of the 242D t-case, while it's mostly a direct swap, by '00 or '01 the 2WD mode was removed from the t-case entirely leaving you only with 4 full time, 4 part time and 4 low as the options to select.

4. #4 Re: NV247J for NV242D swap 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Good information, thanks for posting.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

Thread Information