Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Did I catch a Niner in there? - Page 4

Thread: Did I catch a Niner in there?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #76 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    If it's been sitting for more than a few hours it takes a bit to actually start, seems like a fuel delivery issue to me. If I crank it for a few seconds, stop, then crank again it will fire right up. It's never given me any fits on the 2nd attempt so I haven't made it a high priority.
    Mine did that as well but a good sea foam intake treatment along with crank case and fuel, then I took it on a 2 hour trip with highway speed and it came back to life with no issues.
    Adding octane booster once in a while seems to prevent it from my experience
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

2. #77 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Ordered a few parts for the niner today. Need to get it back to 4WD now that winter has rared it's ugly head. Got a 242 rebuild kit from Novak, as well as the shifter linkage and cup holder from MVF. I'll probably swap the headlights over from the blue ZJ as well so I can see at night since it'll be dark on the drive home now.

3. #78 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The 242 is almost back together, managed to lose one of the washers that goes with the needle bearings so I lost some time there. Luckily I found it and didn't have to source a super tiny part that none of the parts companies even list.

Also ordered a K&N FIPK for it. A seller on Amazon had them for $169 when I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be $269 so I gave it a shot. I put it at a coin flip that the order gets cancelled but it's worth a shot.

4. #79 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Finished getting the case back together. Snagged a new trans mount too since it was out and felt loose. Was only like $12. Cleaned up the bracket a lot too. There is a lot of grime under there. Nice thing about the other ZJ is it rarely goes fast enough while it's running to leak all.over the undercarriage lol. Going to clean up the crossmember and shove the case back in tomorrow. Supposed to get like a foot of snow Monday and Tuesday so that should be a good test if I can get it wrapped up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

5. #80 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Definitely a different mount setup than my 94 with the 231. No snow soon in the forcast for me, so hopefully I get mine wrapped up before the white falls, as well. Good luck, you have far less reassembly than I do!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

6. #81 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Got it back in yesterday, everything seems to work well. Haven't driven it too much though. I dropped the tranny pan as the gasket was leaking pretty bad. From what I found online the pan holds 3 quarts, and I probably leaked another 1/2 quart out the rear of the tranny. I put 6.5 quarts in and the dipstick is still dry, and I didn't have anymore ATF +4 to put in, so I left it in the shop until I get some more. I knew it was leaking, but didn't know it had leaked down THAT much.

7. #82 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Had to jack with the linkage from MVF a bit. My fault really, but the linkage was hitting the mode/range sensor because it was sticking out too far because I didn't put the plug in right so it was flush with the side of the case. Bent the arm a bit and it clears just fine. Swapped the plugs around for the VIC too, works great except it doesn't indicate low range.

Also added a K&N FIPK intake. They seem to have improved on some aspects of the design a bit since I last put one of these on Pam's ZJ in like 06. The intake hat area seems to be beefier now. Swapped my fancy lights Rick made for me over from the blue ZJ too so I can DD this thing again with it getting dark at 430.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

8. #83 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I might just burn this thing to the ground.

Pulled the seat to repair heated seat wires, snapped the left rear bolt off in the unibody.

Tcase is leaking fluid out of the cone, and it's a lot. Getting all over the exhaust and smoking a bit. Good thing I have the truck to DD if I want.

9. #84 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Both of my seats' bolts are broken in that location. They stay in place just fine with three.

10. #85 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Let's just say I've earned the name "Big Dave," I dont trust only 3 of them!

11. #86 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Is it the seal on the shaft or where the cone attaches to the case?
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

12. #87 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I'm pretty sure it's the rear output seal.

13. #88 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the rear output seal.

Check the yoke too, the cap on mine had holes in it and would spray all over, I had to have it welded twice.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

14. #89 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The yoke is all external on this one, it's not the older style where the yoke slips through the seal into the case. The splined section of the mainshaft protrudes out through a seal and then the slip yoke slides on. I ordered a new seal, as well as the little steel thingie that presses on to the mainshaft and protects the seal. Kinda mangled the old one getting it out and I'm thinking that might be contributing to my issue. With the amount of fluid that has come out of the case, and gotten flung all over the underside of the Jeep, it's leaking pretty bad. I even thought the rear diff was leaking because there was a puddle under the pumpkin, but it was ATF that had collected while driving and dripped down. The smoke from the ATF burning off the exhaust was fun too.

Still need to figure something out for the 4th seat bolt. Of course it has to be the outside one where all the undercoating crap is between the rock and the "frame" rail. Thinking I'll just try to get a hole saw in there and cut a hole out an RCH larger than the welded nut, and weld in a new plate with a new nut. There's still some of the bolt sticking out the bottom too, so I may try welding a nut on there and soaking it in PB to see if I can just get the broken piece out and then chase the threads. Hard to find motivation to do this stuff when the 5.9 being down means I get to drive my truck everyday though lol.

15. #90 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Also, the Typhoon should be going away in the next few days.
    Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 12-25-2019 at 03:34 PM.

16. #91 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    I snapped bolts on both of my front seats as well. The driver seat the broken bolt was accessable from below. Penetrating oil heat and vise grips got it out no damage to the threads. Passenger side was above the heat shields and exhaust so that got drilled out and re tapped to 3/8-16. Both bolts were the rear bolts towards the center tunnel.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    98 ZJ; 4.0; 30 X 9.50

My jeep is way better in my head than it is in person

02 WJ; 4.0

My wife's mall crawler will never see a trail (So she claims)

17. #92 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Welded a nut on the part of the bolt sticking out, came right out. Should have just started there, I forget about that blue box in the corner of my shop sometimes.

Notice one of the mounting studs on the driver side hood louver was snapped, so I grabbed one of my spares and tried my hand at repainting it, we'll see how that turns out.

18. #93 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I just cant figure out why this seal leaked, looks totally mint!

19. #94 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Lube it up and throw it back in!

20. #95 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    That's what she said . . . . .

21. #96 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    yes
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

22. #97 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Think I finally resolved the steering issues on this thing. I was inspecting the O-rings on the lines going into the box, and the o-ring on the return line didn't look as good as I thought it should, so I replaced it and it's been working great for a few days now. I'm assuming that since it was the low pressure side the o-ring was letting air past as there was constantly air in the system.

Still have a leak from the tranny somewhere, I think one of the cooler lines is leaking where it goes into the tranny.

Couple other little ticky tacky things it needs, like the driver door latch sticks sometimes. The side view mirrors and rockers could use some touch up paint. So it'll be serving DD duty as much as possible to help keep miles off my truck.
    Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 01-16-2020 at 12:35 PM.

23. #98 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    I solved a sticky door latch/handle or two on mine bynpopping off the little plastic cover in the door jamb and spraying some penetrating oil into the mechanism for the outside handle. It seemed that mechanism was corroded and holding the latch released necessitating slamming the door several times to get it to stay closed.

24. #99 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Mine has the opposite problem, it doesn't always open.

And I spoke too soon on the steering. Drove it around a bunch yesterday and it was fine. Go to lunch today and it started whining like hell again.

25. #100 Re: Did I catch a Niner in there? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Hoping I have the steering figured out. For some reason I added a filter to the system, and had a total brain fart and routed the line way above the reservoir. Pulled the filter out and went back to factory routing on the low pressure line with new o-rings all around. We'll see how it does.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thread Information