Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Project Hippo - Page 8

Thread: Project Hippo

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. #176 Re: Project Hippo 
    So I've started thinking about this. There have been a few threads talking about fitting a 5.3L LS motor into a WJ. Now the Polar Bear thread I'm reading now is a ZJ. Those Magnum motors are pretty old and crappy. But WJ's (and this one) had the 4.7 that seems to be okay. Right now its running fine and quite smooth to my surprise but the gas mileage is pretty horific. that could be due to 236K miles, big tires, more weight etc. So here is the question. Since the price is not that much different between getting a crate/rebuilt 4.7 and pulling a 5.3 with all the junk, what is the better route?

This is a food for thought in the future because i do not know how long this motor will last still and want to have a plan for the future. What do you guys think?

2. #177 Re: Project Hippo 
    First thing to consider is if you have emissions inspection where you are and if the vehicle will need to pass it. If it gets plugged into an emissions test machine you'll have to make sure you can have the ECU for the LS reprogrammed to the VIN for the Jeep. The swap will also require much more time and fabrication, which can lead to even more money spent.

The 4.7L will be a direct swap and could be done in a weekend or two, everything will bolt right up and plug right in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. #178 Re: Project Hippo 
    I have the 4.7 now, but it does have as I've mentioned 236K miles. would getting a brand new one make it faster? I was planing on replacing the transmission too.

4. #179 Re: Project Hippo 
    There are ways to make it quicker (accelerate better for street driving) as opposed to faster (higher top speed). What are your goals? What size tires are you running? What gears are in the axles?

5. #180 Re: Project Hippo 
    I have not seem much aftermarket support for the 4.7.

I have right now the 4.7, 45RFE, NP242, D44's with BFG 35's (metricly sized) and 4.88 gears. I want to make it more highway friendly for long trips to Moab or even trails nearby.

I will admit that I have been spoiled by the ride of my diesel Grand, but none the less I want better fuel economy and better power.

6. #181 Re: Project Hippo 
    Junior Member Lifetime Supporter kg6mov's Avatar
    IIRC you can swap the 4.7 for one of the hemi’s, keep the computer and have it retuned. That would be a shorter path to bigger power than the 5.3.
    1996 ZJ Green Laredo 5.9L, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
    1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, junked.
    1998 XJ 2dr 2wd, for now.

7. #182 Re: Project Hippo 
    I heard hemi swap requires a lot of modification like frame rail widening and its taller than the 4.7. Not true?

8. #183 Re: Project Hippo 
    A little update. Didnt have much time to work on Hippo but I did finally weld the tabs to the bottom of the shelf so it stops from leaning backwards.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Not soon that I start thinking or repairing my little Comanche, the power steering pump went out. Time to upgrade the whole thing in my opinion. Well by whole thing I mean the pump and the steering gearbox. The gearbox ill get from bluetop, but the pump im not sure. Is there an upgrade for the WJ steering pump? Or does a new pump will suffice with 35s?

Its been fine so far but my concern is the reliability. Also, can I use the tranny cooler for the PS fluid? If so, how do you connect it up? on high pressure or low pressure side?

9. #184 Re: Project Hippo 
    I'd get a Waggy 4-bolt steering box if I were you. Easy enough to drill the extra hole in the frame, and it makes the whole box stronger. The only "gotcha" is to make sure that you get a box that will accept your current steering lines. There is a break in the years of the Waggy boxes where one had a metric thread and one a standard thread if I remember correctly, easy enough to match up what you have to what you need.

I replaced my stock pump with another stock pump. I have the power steering fluid running thru the stock towing package external cooler, I believe I ran it from the gearbox to the cooler and then the cooler to the return of the pump.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

10. #185 Re: Project Hippo 
    Ken's cooler setup sounds right to me. You want to cool it after it gets heated up by the pump and the box before it gets back to the pump to start heating up again.

If you go to the 4 bolt box you want to be sure to sleeve the "frame" so it doesn't crush the unibody rail when you tighten the additional bolt.

11. #186 Re: Project Hippo 
    What year waggy boxes should I look for?
    When sleeving the frame are you talking about sleeves for the bolts that would be inside, perpendicular to the frame?

12. #187 Re: Project Hippo 
    Yes. A reasonably heavy wall tube that will take the stress off the thinner unibody metal.

13. #188 Re: Project Hippo 
    What's the biggest difference between wj and waggy gearbox? I looked at mine and evidently it's already a 4 bolt.

Also the pump is so screwed, that at idle I can see how slow the pump rotates. You can count each revolution lol

14. #189 Re: Project Hippo 
    Sorry for misleading on the steering gear box. I was speaking from my experience, which is ZJ. Still, running a cooler is a great idea, especially with bigger tires. You want to put the cooler after the fluid does all the work and before it goes back to the tank, so that's why I suggested going from the outlet side of the box to the cooler and then to the pump.

There are very few instances where you want to pressurize an oil cooler. You always want it on the return side.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

15. #190 Re: Project Hippo 
    Ah okay, that makes more sense. Any particular cooler you recommend or any tranny cooler would work?
    Good thing there is plenty of room on the ac condenser for one

16. #191 Re: Project Hippo 
    Bar and plate coolers are sturdier and work better than tube a fin style coolers, but also cost a bit more. Hayden makes nice cooler kits that can be found on amazon and eBay fairly cheap. My trans cooler is a larger Hayden unit I got off of eBay for less than $40. The kit includes hoses, clamps, mounting hardware, etc.

17. #192 Re: Project Hippo 
    My ZJ had the factory towing option, which gave it a small external transmission cooler. I put a bigger transmission cooler in place and converted the factory one to be a power steering cooler. It seems to work fine. Prior to running it as a power steering cooler, I cooked the power steering fluid a couple of times, actually causing the death of one pump. Since then, I have not had an issue. Well, except for breaking an ear off of the box, but that's hardly a fluid issue.

Agree that a stacked plate cooler is more efficient, and that is now what I run for my transmission. If you have the room for one, that would be the way to go. But, I've been happy with my repurposed tube and fin cooler for power steering.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

18. #193 Re: Project Hippo 
    My older Ram had a tube and fin steering cooler on it from the factory. I ended up bypassing it when it rusted out and sprung a leak. It was tiny, as in a "U" of tubing with fins around 3" wide and maybe 8" long. I'd go with something a bit bigger than that. Again, peruse eBay and Amazon, and pay attention to the dimensions. My Hayden trans cooler is P/N 1677 and is 11" x 7.5" with 3/8" hose barbs. They have one size smaller than this, 11" x 6", P/N 1676.

19. #194 Re: Project Hippo 
    I like the big trans cooler and according to amazon it fits in the 99WJ oddly enough. So the next items on the list for hippo are:
    -New stock power steering pump
    -New Bluetop steering gearbox
    -new hoses
    -Power steering cooler
    -RAM 1500 Brake upgrade
    -Push front axle forward .5"

Unfortunately the garage door at my parents house went to crapper so no garage for a week at least.
    Anyone got a pic of how they spliced into the low pressure side of the Power steering box? What king of hose fitting did you use?

20. #195 Re: Project Hippo 
    Since the low pressure is only return, just cut the hose and use a hose barb and hose clamps. You'll need two, plus a length of 3/8" hose that you'll have to cut to length. NAPA or any parts store can hook you up.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

21. #196 Re: Project Hippo 
    Hey does anyone have a simple picture of the pressure circuit for the WJs? I cannot find anything that tells me fluid flow or which is high and which is low pressure hoses

22. #197 Re: Project Hippo 
    Start at the reservoir and follow the hose that's clamped to the reservoir back down the steering box. Pick your spot and cut the hose, that is the return. The pressure hose off the pump you'll notice is swaged, not just clamped. Same at the box end. The return may be swaged at the box side, but it is only clamped at the reservoir.

23. #198 Re: Project Hippo 
    Thought I would do an update. So far I'm just collecting more parts. Got the quaterpanel armor painted as well with a little homemade "jig". The paint job leaves more to be desired, but oh well. The color looks good.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Found a neat little tool that you put the spray paint can into and it makes it into a handle. you paint with the hand instead of just thumb/fingers. Makes it easier if you use spray cans a lot and its only $8. Also got the big brake kit. Its here and the calipers are massive haha. Hope they fit. And they should since the brakes on these axles are stock JK's
    [IMG][/IMG]

While I am doing the brakes, also going to upgrade brake lines. Got 32" (or 34") ones from a buddy. The longer ones I got from Clayton actually stretch to max when full lock and full droop.

Steering gearbox is also on order and the new PS pump. Trans cooler is here, just need the fittings. Hopefully next week I can throw some parts on this guy and get back to driving it. Really missing that.

24. #199 Re: Project Hippo 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    nice!!
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

25. #200 Re: Project Hippo 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    so many broken pics...
    I was just trolling through trying to get build inspiration and ^~~~~~~~~^*
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

Thread Information