Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build

Thread: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Hey MallCrawlers, I was hoping to do a little build thread of my 01 WJ. This was my first time ever seriously modifying any of my vehicles so please be gracious. I have learned a lot along the way and yes there are things that I wish I had done differently but overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Ok, so for starters, the rules for the build were 1. Had to retain being comfortable because I want my friends and family to enjoy wheeling with me and not be dying of heat or uncomfortable. 2. All the parts were chosen because of their bang for the buck. I am enlisted and don't have a huge budget to blow on this as it is plus I'm just beginning so no need to get over my head. And 3. Put capability over aesthetics. Yes, I may decide over two things because I like the look of one more than the other but the bottom line is that usefulness is the priority and looks come after. So, without further ado, here she is when I bought her almost a year ago. 116,xxx miles, 4.7 V8 Laredo, all maintenance records in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. #2 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Ok, so to start off the first thing I did was paint that ridiculous chrome grill satin black. After that I decided to do the lift, tires, and wheels all at the same time. After seemingly endless hours of research I ended up deciding on the Rough Country Long Arm kit, 4.5" Clayton springs and trackbar, and 4.5" bilstein 5100's. Now, I understand the persona around Rough Country and the fact that that was probably the worst long arm kit I could have chosen. But, I don't have the ability to weld in my current place of residence and the kit was only $1000 plus what I spent on springs, shocks and trackbar. So I didn't really have much other choice. Anyway, for tires I decided on the 31x10.5R15 BFG KM2's on American racing 15" wheels. I installed the lift in my buddies garage and took pictures with my phone, so I apologize for the quality.

3. #3 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Nice, got any other plans?

4. #4 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scsigman View Post
    Nice, got any other plans?

I have a bunch of plans. I'm actually not even caught up with what I've currently done. I'm on a standstill though because I'm overseas right now. When I get back I'm hoping to find a 242 transfer case and swap that in.

5. #5 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    I ended up getting the dual steering stabilizer kit from Rough Country...remember how I said there were some things I would have done differently? Ya, this is one of those things. Now I know though. Anyway here it is. Before and after.

6. #6 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Nice color!
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

7. #7 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    [QUOTE=CrimsonBoat;354681]I have a bunch of plans. I'm actually not even caught up with what I've currently done. I'm on a standstill though because I'm overseas right now. When I get back I'm hoping to find a 242 transfer case and swap that in.

242 isn't a hard find. Shouldn't take you long to find. What else did you end up knocking out, before you had a pcs, tdy, or deployment overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using

8. #8 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    I went up with a couple friends to Corral Canyon in Southern California. Ended up spending about 16 hours on one trail (I think it was called the sidewinder or something) because my buddies truck snapped both tie rod ends...one at a time...in super inconvenient spots on the trail. It was a good time though. Goldilocks performed very well I think. Smacked my transfer case skid pretty good and bent it up into the transfer case. Still trying to fix that.

9. #9 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Looks like a solid start! The rear set up on the Rough Country kit is weird because they use the factory rear upper mount. I wonder if you could upgrade down the line.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

10. #10 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Oh, you need rocker protection ASAP.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

11. #11 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    That's what I did as about to say!!!

12. #12 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Have you had any rubbing? Since it doesn't look like you trimmed at all.

13. #13 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Alright, last one and then we are all caught up. I got a winch mount from hk offroad. It requires you to cut out the forward cross member of your frame and replace it with the winch mount. I decided on this specific one because it mounts back further than anything else on the market. Since removing my bumper and installing it I have actually slightly improved my approach angle. I've also put two rigid industries lights mounted up behind the radiator skid.

14. #14 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO View Post
    Nice color!
    Thank you, I love your Jeep.

15. #15 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    Ya, I've been looking around and I'm not really sure what I'm going to do about that yet. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

16. #16 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Have you had any rubbing? Since it doesn't look like you trimmed at all.

Before I took the bumper off I had the slightest rub when turning hard. That's not a problem anymore though.

17. #17 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    [QUOTE=Scsigman;354684]
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonBoat View Post
    I have a bunch of plans. I'm actually not even caught up with what I've currently done. I'm on a standstill though because I'm overseas right now. When I get back I'm hoping to find a 242 transfer case and swap that in.

242 isn't a hard find. Shouldn't take you long to find. What else did you end up knocking out, before you had a pcs, tdy, or deployment overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using
    Ya, I just need to go jumpyard hopping. As of now I'm up to date. Now she's just sitting in storage until I get back.

18. #18 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    I went with iron rock off-road for my sliders. There are to many to choose from so it all comes down to your style. You could also try rocky-road.

19. #19 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    I went with iron rock off-road for my sliders. There are to many to choose from so it all comes down to your style. You could also try rocky-road.

I have seen the iron rock ones and I like those the best but $500 for some bent tubes? I don't know how crazy I am about that. I feel like they could be made for a fraction of the price.

20. #20 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I'd go IRO or Kevin's Off Road. Can't go wrong with either company. And it may seem like a lot for some bent tube, but there's a lot of r&d and manufacturing costs that go in to these products. Sure, we could all make our own for cheaper, if we already had benders, welders, plasma cutters, etc etc etc. It's also a pretty niche market that both companies really go out of their way to support.

Great start on your rig too, when you're back stateside you'll have to come out to Grand Slam West with us.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

21. #21 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    I'd go IRO or Kevin's Off Road. Can't go wrong with either company. And it may seem like a lot for some bent tube, but there's a lot of r&d and manufacturing costs that go in to these products. Sure, we could all make our own for cheaper, if we already had benders, welders, plasma cutters, etc etc etc. It's also a pretty niche market that both companies really go out of their way to support.

Great start on your rig too, when you're back stateside you'll have to come out to Grand Slam West with us.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking about making some and just cutting the tubes at an angle. I used to be pretty good at welding but haven't done it in years. I guess I would have to look into how much I would actually save from doing it myself. The only other thing I'm concerned about with those sliders is that I am not sure how high they mount and if I could make them mount higher by manufacturing my own.

As for GSW, I would love to come out. Even though I'll probably have the smallest tires there...

22. #22 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    I was thinking about making some and just cutting the tubes at an angle. I used to be pretty good at welding but haven't done it in years. I guess I would have to look into how much I would actually save from doing it myself. The only other thing I'm concerned about with those sliders is that I am not sure how high they mount and if I could make them mount higher by manufacturing my own.

As for GSW, I would love to come out. Even though I'll probably have the smallest tires there...

I mean I guess you could try the hobby shop on your installation, the hobby shop on ours just never have welders.

23. #23 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    I mean I guess you could try the hobby shop on your installation, the hobby shop on ours just never have welders.

Last time I checked my hobby shop had a welder and I think you can pay one of the mechanics there to weld your stuff for you if you don't know how. Something I'll have to look into when I get back.

24. #24 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar

We offer lots of trails at GSW where 31's are just fine.

WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

25. #25 Re: Jeep WJ "Goldilocks" build 
    CrimsonBoat, where are you stationed?
    I was stationed at the Naval Base SD. I went in & out @ the W 8th Street Gate.
    I spent a 'few' weekends @ the hobby shop back in the day.
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information