Thread: Taurus fan does great at idle, not so great on highway

1. #1 Taurus fan does great at idle, not so great on highway 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Added the Taurus fan on the ZJ before GSW and was really happy with it, until I took the ZJ on the highway. Using the DC Controls box to control it, all of that works great. I was able to sit at idle in 100* ambient with the a/c on full blast and barely get to 210. Kick the a/c off, and it would hang out around 180-190. But when I got out on to the highway, even with the a/c off, the temp would climb up around 230*, even in pretty easy scenarios like going down a long grade. The ZJ NEVER had cooling issues on the highway with the factory mechanical fan.

Only thing I can figure is that at the higher vehicle speeds, there's an airflow issue. I'm just using the shroud that comes with the Taurus fan, which doesn't cover the whole rad, but that shouldn't matter too much at highway speeds. I do have hood vents, wondering if they're adding to the problem.

My thought at this point is to test a few different things. Basically a combination of a couple different things. First, I'll unplug the fan and see if that does anything. Also, I'll try sealing off the hood vents, and a combination of both.

Anything else I should look at or consider?

2. #2 Re: Taurus fan does great at idle, not so great on highway 
    what I have done with the Taurus fan is to trim the Taurus shroud and graft it into the stock ZJ shroud and then it will drop in as an assembly, thus covering the entire radiator. BUT I have not tested it because I screwed up and centered the fan in the shroud, so when I went to install it hit the water pump snout. now I got another shroud to do it again but will re-index the fan to more on one side off of center.
    I have GTP hood vents and removed the rear hood weather stripping on mine also. NOTE: I'm at basically sea level so that is another factor I have in my favor for cooling.

So just checking but there are no other changes in that area, besides the Taurus fan swap from the mech fan that would effect airflow? The PS brace should not matter on this unless it is pinching the lower rad hose, then it is a water flow issue too
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

3. #3 Re: Taurus fan does great at idle, not so great on highway 
    Have you tried shutting fan off at highway speeds?

4. #4 Re: Taurus fan does great at idle, not so great on highway 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    I built a custom shroud to cover the radiator. It was metal and way too heavy.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

5. #5 Re: Taurus fan does great at idle, not so great on highway 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cwm View Post
    Have you tried shutting fan off at highway speeds?
    I haven't yet. Hasn't been warm enough again yet where I've had the opportunity to test it. But I'm going to unplug the fan and also have magnetic covers for the vents to mess around with and see if any of that helps.

Coolant flow is just fine, as it doesn't overheat when parked with the a/c on full blast in 100+ temps. I think if the shroud was causing the problems too it wouldn't work well at low speeds since it's more dependent on the fan at that point than it is going down the highway. Hoping it's warm enough this weekend to really test it out.

6. #6 Re: Taurus fan does great at idle, not so great on highway 
    So how do you have it set up? is it on a temp probe ? If so how and were do you have it? The last one I set up was on a 3 position switch and 2 50 amp relays so it was low when running or i could turn it off "winter cold morning get the heater working" off" and high for summer get the ac working fast and cool"
    If you using a temp control perhaps thats your problem and it your cruising at highway speed you might have an air block because fans are slowing the air flowing through condenser and rad if you can turn them off and it works there you go !

Thread Information