Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Pearce Bomber

Thread: The Pearce Bomber

1. #1 The Pearce Bomber 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    As the title suggests, I'm building a Bomber Chassis. Frankenjeep is long gone to the scrap pile in the back yard. Comes in handy from time to time too. I had stared out designing a chassis on Bend Tech, even started building it. But made design changes along the way that I ended up regretting. And then do to time constraints related to work I was never able to focus on it as much as I'd like. I couldn't stand being out of the sport any longer and needed to make a change in plans. Bomber Chassis. It's what I really wanted mine to be anyway. Before I get into that, I will say I had a lot of fun designing a chassis with Bend Tech and then producing some of the parts. I will do this again one day. Using that software to produce detailed bending instructions, notching, and exact dimensions is awesome. And it really does work.

I wasn't going to make a build thread, but work has me out of town a bunch so I have free time to kill in the evenings. Started out building a chassis table of sorts from scrap steel off a job site. Unfortunately no pics of what I actually started. That phone is gone, bottom of canal I believe. But here are nearly all the parts for a Bomber Chassis. Crate broke during transit. Lost 6 tubes. Randy is now offering a DOM Bomber chassis. This is new as of the end of last year. Previously you could only get a chromoly kit. Perfect timing for me!

Starting to lay out parts to get an idea of tube location.
    www.grandslamsoutheast.com
    SOLD: 98 ZJ, 6" Long Armed, Locked 33" MTR, HP 9" and HP D30
    My Build Thread
    94 YJ, tons and 40s, no leafs, 5.3/4L60e
    04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4, Smarty Jr

2. #2 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    I'm going to transplant all the parts from the old rig into the new with the exception of seats, exhaust, and radiator.... for now. The 5.3 is going to get an LS6 intake. Needed more room up top for packaging. Randy's rig is pretty easy to put together. There are marks laser etched into the tube where tubes come together and everything is numbered. If I remember right is 90 pieces.

I got the seats pretty early. Old Corbeau and new PRP with removable cushion. So comfy. And totally customizable colors and material.

So first thing was getting the sub frame set up. This was a little challenging, had to be sure all was square All the tubes are CNC notched and bent so it goes together really nice but this is a critical part to be square. The tube with heim joints is how I had the 5.3 mounted to build the first chassis around. The lower frame rails are 0.188 and transition to .120. The kit varies in size tube depending on location for weight savings, but I plan to add more since I like to roll so much.

Once all squared up you can start to build the back. There's a thread on PBB that takes about doing this way and it's spot on. Get the back squared up and work your way forward. Fortunately I got creative with some scrap deck boards to help!

And I had the assistance of these awesome clamps from Northern tool. Great set of extra hands.

3. #3 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Next was getting the rockers in place. Another challenging point. Because of the CNC bend and notch you can align everything to fit just right and all tubes match perfect. There were only a few occasions where tube had to be forced into place.

Man photobucket really sucks now to work in, lol. slow and full of ads.

Back to the rear again. You'll notice leather brown painted tube from the old rig supporting the new. This is where I got the most creative to set tube in place without an assistant. My bad for moving away from my help and back to FL, LOL. I have to say, I had as much fun being creative to hold tube in place without extra hands as I did building it.

4. #4 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Then again moving forward from back to front to the A pillar. The absolute most difficult part of this build is getting the A pillar located right on the rocker. So much comes together right there. I got within 1/4" or so to perfect on one side and a little better on the other. But was out as much as an inch before spending a full weekend aligning over and over again.

5. #5 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Trey had the resources to help me out big time with sleeves to go from 0.188 to 0.120 wall tube to continue the build forward. Than dude!

And continuing on to the front end.

My Build Thread

6. #6 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Then we finally get to the top half where I had to have an extra set of hands to get it right. This thing is awesome.

Still missing the 6 pieces. Insurance claim is going slow but won't stop me from continuing the build. They are some roof, hood and dash pieces.

7. #7 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Next came fitting the drivetrain in. Tight fit! Took several maneuvers to get it in there. Probably should have lifted in from the bottom but wanted to see if I could do it this way.

Then add on the BlackBox and Atlas and there is the tight fit.

8. #8 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Seat mock up! I'm pretty sure I'm going to flip the headers. Not sure yet if they will point back or front. Leaning towards the front but need to see how things turn out after I mock up the LS6 intake. That's this weekends project.

View from the drivers seat!!

9. #9 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Sweet!!!! Looks like a great build so far!
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

10. #10 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    So sick! Looking forward to the updates on this guy.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

11. #11 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Thinking I might go this route with the exhaust now that I have the LS6 intake on. Need to mock up the axles and coilovers a little more first. And look at hydraulic steering component mounting. I still may try to find a way to get a radiator up front too. It's amazing how much room you gain with the LS6 intake. These headers were going to work perfect for my original design in the normal orientation and I think they'll work out well flipped on this one.

12. #12 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    First, you are obviously going to tie another tube into those secksy fishmouths to complete the node.

Now with that out of the way, yes, you have the headers mounted correctly. Commence operation exhaust up and over. Looking awesome!

13. #13 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    looking really good dude.

14. #14 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Have a few updates. Finally got the tube that was lost in transit. And mounted the engine and trans. It sure is a tight fit. I chose to keep the BlackBox so it took a little maneuvering. The engine is clocked to the passenger side to flatten the Atlas. Moved the front of the engine a little passenger side for clearance.

Reused the old cross-member. Worked well for me. So with a little modification it keeps working.

15. #15 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    And then I spent some time getting the axles located just right. At this point I'm just waiting on a few joints to arrive and start building links and tabs. Very inspiring to see it like this. Gobs of clearance. Rev limiter noises have been made from the drivers seat!

16. #16 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    I'm going to give the QA1 Rock Ends and weldable sleeve a try. The rock end is forged heat treated chromoly. The race is a lot more durable than a Johnny Joint as well. Visually I'm far more impressed with them over a JJ.

17. #17 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    What link material do you plan on using? What's the WB with the axles as located?

18. #18 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    The rear links are the old front links, heat treated chromo. Wheel base started at 110", but to make the old fronts work it grew to about 111". Still undecided on the front lowers. In part because I don't yet have confidence in the lead time of another heat treated chromo set. I know I can get a set of WOD aluminum when needed.

19. #19 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Well since photobucket wants $400 a year for 3rd party hosting I will no longer be using them and all my build photos are gone. Fortunately being a member here has its privileges and can still add updates. Got all my link brackets figured out. Just need to order aluminum lowers.

Name:  0813171625s.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  44.2 KB
    My Build Thread

20. #20 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Because I don't remember what the last thing I posted was, here's how it looks pre links.

Name:  0528171719s.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  39.9 KB
    My Build Thread

21. #21 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Name:  0128181513l.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  43.8 KB

Been a while. Looks a little different.
    My Build Thread

22. #22 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Name:  0120182006l.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  47.7 KB

23. #23 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Nice. Sitting on its own. On to the all important details

24. #24 Re: The Pearce Bomber 

25. #25 Re: The Pearce Bomber 
    Been a while and trying to see if I can post images from something other than photobucket.

ohh maybe it works...

My Build Thread

Thread Information