Thread: Track bar nut... WTF???

1. #1 Track bar nut... WTF??? 
    Guys

So I just replaced the OEM track bar bushings (that was a pain) with some aftermarket ones and upgraded with Kevin's offroad hardware, on one side. And here is why.

I have stock axles right now and everywhere I looked, when you remove the axle side track bar bolt, the nut should fall out. Well it didnt. as a matter of fact it feels like its welded in there, but i do not see any welds. its like gremlins are holding it or something. A thought was to cut the nut shorter (if possible cause there is very little space available) redrill the bolt for 9/16 in and upgrade that was, but since its DD, I ran out of time. I can't use the new hardware with the old bolt, because the new one is much bigger and came with its own nut.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Any solutions? Or just what the f*** is going on with that axle????

Thanks guys

2. #2 Re: Track bar nut... WTF??? 
    Did you get the bolt out? If you did, can you get the bolt back in? If yes, don't worry about it. There is a "flag" welded to the nut that orients it, and sometimes it gets bent and jams the nut in there.

If you are not able to get the bolt out (I wasn't the second time I did bushings, too much rust on the threads), I used a die grinder to grind the bolt/nut off and then replaced the nut/bolt with the same size. You can hold the nut to tighten it with an open end wrench at just the right angle but it's a pain.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

3. #3 Re: Track bar nut... WTF??? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Put the bolt back in for a couple threads and tap it with a hammer, see if you can break it free.

4. #4 Re: Track bar nut... WTF??? 
    I got the bolt out with no issues. Went ahead an tried the bolt and tapping it with a hammer, it still wouldn't come loose. Even stuck an 18 mm in the little hole and on the bolt and tried to rotate, still wouldn't budge. So I just put the OEM bolt back in and tighened it to 8o ft-lbs and left it there. drives good so far so one side of the track bar will have to stay with OEM hardware and the other will be upgraded lol. That jeep will get new axles anyway. Speaking of, anyone got a pair of D44s for same by chance??

5. #5 Re: Track bar nut... WTF??? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I have a 9 inch rear for sale.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    01 WJ

6. #6 Re: Track bar nut... WTF??? 
    How much? is it barebone? or with brackets installed? Gears?

7. #7 Re: Track bar nut... WTF??? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Look at the for sale posts here. 4.56 or 5.38. has brackets locker alloy shafts etc. I also have an IRO WJ rear axle swap kit and truss if you wanted.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    01 WJ

Thread Information