Thread: Clocking the WJ NP242 transfer case

1. #1 Clocking the WJ NP242 transfer case 
    Hello all.

So two years ago I had the bright idea that I could take the drivetrain (4.0, 42re, NP242) out of my step brothers 99 WJ and put it into a YJ.

Long story short the drivetrain is finally in but there's a slight problem. The transfer case needs to be rotated about 15 degrees or so upwards to avoid hitting the skid plate so I can get a better driveline angle. I was told that the 242 can use any clocking ring for a 6 bolt transfer case but there may be an issue with the transmission output seal not lining up once the ring is in. Since leaking fluid all over the place obviously isn't on my list of wants for this ill advised swap what can be done to extend the seal to play nicely with the clocking ring?

2. #2 Re: Clocking the WJ NP242 transfer case 
    ASSuming that is about the same input shaft as the XJ 242 of that era then it has a .840" exposed input shaft. you MIGHT be able to find another input shaft like the earlier v8 inputs that has 1.55" exposed, BUT those had a different gear pitch so those are out for your application. but you might look into what input the XJ used on the models with the 4cyl or the 5speed transmissions and see if those transfercases had the longer input shaft
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

Thread Information