One of my winter projects for the ZJ is going to be building a storage system for the rear of the ZJ. With the spare tire out of the cargo area I've got more room back there, and I already pulled the back seats out a LONG time ago so I should have plenty of room. I want the configuration to work for both typical day trips, as well as longer expedition style trips.

I already have a trap door system where the back seats used to be. Basically the floor of the rear cargo area continues up to just behind the front seats, all made of plywood, with two trap doors to access the area below. This is where I keep spare axle shafts and other items I may not need to access as frequently. There are tie down points on the top and side to strap down coolers and other items as well.

My thought for the rear cargo area was a combination fridge/drawer system. I'd like an ARB or similar fridge on the left of the rear cargo, and then drawers on the right to hold tools, smaller spare parts, and potentially fluids as well. Like the back seat area I will put tie downs on top of this as well to strap down any additional items that may not fit elsewhere.

My only concern about putting the fridge in the back is it would be impossible to get to from the driver or passenger seat on normal day trips which I think could get quite annoying. I could rework the storage in the back seats to better accept the fridge, but not sure how easy it would be to get to with the doors in the back. I could just put the fridge in the back and use a small cooler closer to the front, but to me that defeats the purpose of having the fridge in the first place, at least on day trips.