Thread: Replacing WK Rack and Pinion

1. #1 Replacing WK Rack and Pinion 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Recording this so I can reference in the future (but will hopefully never have to go through this again!)

To get the old rack and pinion out, you need to remove everything that is in the way including skid plates, swaybar, hoses, diff vent line, electrical wiring, oil filter drip pan AND the oil filter (the only oil that will come out is what's in the filter).

Once everything is out of the way, remove the tie rod ends from the old rack and remove the mounting bolts (and hoses and the steering column shaft).

Now that the unit is free, from the driver's side of the unit, push the shaft/screw/rod/ metal thingie that connects to the tie rod end inward, this will free up space on the driver's side (note: the more of the rod will come out on the passenger side). Push the driver's side of the unit upwards toward the frame rail, try to get the end of the unit slightly above the frame rail.

Now go to the passenger side, push the rod BACK to the driver's side, the trick is to get the rod up over the driver's side frame rail, freeing up space on the passenger side. At this point, the unit should come free, with the passenger side going rearward and downward with the rest of the unit to follow. But not easily, you'll need to play around to get the angles just right.

Note: before we hit on the above solution, we did lower the front axle about 1.5 inches, but ultimately I don't think this was necessary.

Note2: the above was on a 2008 4.7l (V8), there may be more room to work with a shorter engine like the V6 gasser. No idea what a CRD looks like.
    Last edited by Z; 06-30-2016 at 11:43 AM.

2. #2 Re: Replacing WK Rack and Pinion 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Does your WK have a subframe/IFS drop bracket? When we tried to replace Aldon's steering rack in the Redstone parking lot in 2015 it seemed like there were so many things in the way. Very frustrating process. I had wrote most of the issues off as a result of the lift. But he above seems to indicate that it was going to be tough regardless of the lift or not.

Also would you still need to pull the oil filter and oil filter drip pan on a V6?
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

3. #3 Re: Replacing WK Rack and Pinion 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Ted, I updated the post to include engine type. Regarding Alden's WK fix, I sure did appreciate the hydraulic lift when I helped Corey B. replace the rack, much more comfortable than on the ground at the Redstone! Having done this a second time, I'm not sure what lowering the lift cradle on Alden's WK bought is, unless it also lowered the diff. The lift cradle itself is not in the way; there are stock subframe stiffeners that cause most of the problem.

Thread Information