Thread: 8.8 swap done abs not working

1. #1 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    I have a 95 4.0 ZJ that I did a 8.8 swap on and I can't seem to get the ABS to work now. The ABS work prior to the swap and if I connect the two stock sensors the light will go out at startup. I cut the two stock sensors off and connected both browns to the red wire to the sensor and both black wires to the green wire on the sensor. I then reversed them and it still did not work. I checked the speed sensor and it showed opened with my meter so I bought a new one and still have the same issue.

I bought the 8.8 from a guy how had it in his ZJ and he had already removed every other tooth off the reluctor. I searched and I can't find anything else to try, what am I doing wrong?

My wife and I both drive this and it will be driven in the snow so I would like the ABS to work.

2. #2 Re: 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    You will never get the abs to work with the 8.8 axle installed. Factory used individual wheel speed sensor in the rear, ford uses a tone wheel off the carrier. Plus, you would have to get the exact same wave length from the ford sensor to mimic the jeep sensor. When i did my 8.8 swap, i cut off the sensors, removed the fuse and relay from the ABS to get the light to turn off.

Good Luck!
    94zj locked and loaded

3. #3 Re: 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Tom Z did get his working back in the day, not sure what he did though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. #4 Re: 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    DJJordache did it too, and I seem to recall (years ago) that he had a thread detailing exactly what he did to get the ABS to work. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the post...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

5. #5 Re: 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

6. #6 Re: 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    I read that post and that's how I wired mine up but it still does not work. He did this to a 90 XJ and I have a 94 ZJ, my ABS did work before the axle swap and if I wire both sensors back up the ABS light goes out after start up.

It has to be a signal/sensor problem because the light stays on at start up before I even move.

7. #7 Re: 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    yeah but did you read the other part of CUTTING EVERY OTHER tooth off to make it 54 teeth?
    and yes I did it on a 90XJ and my 93ZJ and have heard of others doing it the SAME way with success

edit: maybe the sensor in the 8.8 is bad...

edit 2: http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post130097
    showing how I did it on my ZJ
    Last edited by DJJordache; 08-16-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

8. #8 Re: 8.8 swap done abs not working 
    Yes mine already had every other tooth removed, I mentioned that in my first post. He even had part of the jeep harness connected to the 8.8 sensor plug when I bought it from him. He just cut the wires when he pulled the axles from his ZJ.

It does have a new sensor in it because the old one was bad, it showed open when I connected my meter to it.

When I start it up with the old jeep sensors connected the light goes out.
    When I start it up with the new 8.8 sensor connector the light is on, this tells me that the initial abs check fails and I think it is because the 8.8 sensor I have has a different reading than the stock jeep ones.

I wonder if the auto parts store speed sensor isn't giving the same readings back that a factory ford 8.8 speed sensor would give.

BTW thanks for the help, I've read your post a few times to see if I missed anything.
    Last edited by obrut; 08-18-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Thread Information