Thread: Aftermarket Alarm No Start

1. #1 Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    Hey guys,

I've been MIA for a while, but I'm back! We still have one of our ZJ's, the 1997 Limited. Back in 2006 when we bought it, my wife's mother purchased and had installed an aftermarket alarm and remote start to the vehicle. Well, here we are in 2016 and the damn thing is a royal pain in the ass! It is currently in a trouble mode or something that has immobilized the truck and won't allow the starter to activate.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just want to gut the thing from the vehicle. I do not know who the manufacturer is, nor do I know all of the ends and outs of the system. It was spliced into the factory harness at numerous locations and the wires were concealed in the original looms. I'm sure there's a "brain" of sorts but I haven't been able to locate it. If someone has experience with these things and has some suggestions on how to disable it, please let me know.

Thanks fellas.

- Jordan

edit: A little more information.. the remote is non-functional because the antenna which mounts on the car broke years ago, and we have not been able to track down a replacement using any of the part/serial numbers from the device itself.

Also, it's a 1997 so disabling the factory alarm with the purple wire with yellow tracer is not an option (I don't think) to try and trick the aftermarket alarm into thinking it's good to go. From what I remember that isn't a viable solution to disabling the factory alarm in the '96+ ZJ's.
    Last edited by JordanA; 02-17-2016 at 03:23 AM.
    Krash80: And my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs empty.
    CurtP: What does your house have to do with any of this?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

2. #2 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    You need to locate where it's spliced into the starter wire and splice the fac!tory starter wire back together. It sounds like someone did a quality install from your description. I hate the things and always remove them at the car lot I work at.

3. #3 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    So you think that it would be as simple as that? For whatever reason I was thinking it was probably spliced a few places, including the ignition (key) wire. I hadn't thought about it being sliced into the actual starter wire. Thanks for the reply! I could use any more help you can offer, such as where the splicers typically are (what systems), etc. I appreciate it!
    Last edited by JordanA; 02-20-2016 at 07:31 PM.

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

4. #4 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    I'm 90% sure they would have spliced into the starter wire under the steering column or there abouts. Once you pull the panels, it shoud be relatively obvious. Post some pics of the wiring once you have it opened up.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

5. #5 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    Will do, Ted. Any idea how much of the system would need to be pulled to render it basically useless? If I pull the starter wire connection/splice, I'm guessing it'll still be connected to the factory alarm and such. Driving with the alarm blasting would be better than no driving at all!

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

6. #6 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    The way most aftermarket alarms work is that they put a relay on the starter wire. If you pull the starter interlock, you will have to resplice it together, so the signal can make it to the starter solenoid. If you pull the power from the aftermarket alarm, it shouldn't function at all. the factory alarm wont arm unless you have the factory key fobs working as far as I know.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

7. #7 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    Thanks, Ted. Our factory alarm has worked in conjunction with the aftermarket for years, so I assume the key fob for the aftermarket unit was controlling the factory unit as well (factory key fobs stopped working about 9 years ago or so). We often have to use the "key in door" method to dis-arm the factory alarm.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

8. #8 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    I hope to get this torn apart on Monday, so expect an update soon!

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

9. #9 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    The starter wire is the usually the only actual cut and splice in an aftermarket system. All the rest of the connections are usually just tapped into the existing wires, not interrupting them. There's also usually a fuse in the power wire to the aftermarket systems, so the easiest way to disable it is to pull the
    fuse. This may disable the starter, so it's still a good idea to undo the starter splice.

10. #10 Re: Aftermarket Alarm No Start 
    Still no progress here. I need to get my ass in gear.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thread Information