Thread: Keeping ABS with a Rear TJ Rubicon D44 and Rubicon vs ZJ reardisc brakes

1. #1 Keeping ABS with a Rear TJ Rubicon D44 and Rubicon vs ZJ reardisc brakes 
    So I've started collected the parts for my next build. It will be more of a street friendly expedition style build. 4-5" lift, 33s, locked F/R, Clayton LA. For the rear axle I picked up a TJ/Rubicon D44. After gettng it home I noticed that ti doesn't have any ABS. ON reasearching it looks like none of the TJ Rubicons got ABS or for that matter any TJ with rear D44 and discs brakes.

I've read comments that people have used ZJ brakes to upgrade their TJ brakes but that was usually when they had drum brakes. Has anyone here compared the two systems? Part numbers are different and the TJ rotor is just silghtly larger than the ZJ. I'm thinking that the ZJ brakes should be better as its a heavier vehicle but we all know how bad ZJ brakes suck. For the front I'm planning on WJ knuckles/brakes.

Ideally I'd liek to keep the ABS as other people than myself will be driving, both on and off road, however if its not easily possible then out it will come.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

2. #2 Re: Keeping ABS with a Rear TJ Rubicon D44 and Rubicon vs ZJ reardisc brakes 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    I don't know if it'd possible but look at putting the ZJ tone rings on the TJ axle shafts. The ZJ is a C-clip and the TJ isn't so that might be the biggest obstacle. As I recall, the abs pickups are mounted to the ZJ backing plates.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

3. #3 Re: Keeping ABS with a Rear TJ Rubicon D44 and Rubicon vs ZJ reardisc brakes 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    You will need to have the TJ axle shafts milled/turned down so the the ZJ tone rings can be pressed on to the TJ axle shafts in the appropriate location for the sensors. That is how my XJ iron 44 was setup when we built it. Also, you will need to drill and grind out the bolt plates so the the sensors can be added to the shaft housing. Also, measure the distance between the sensor and tone rings before you take them apart. If they are too far off, they sense the speed different and at almost stopping, the computer will release the pressure a bit and you will have some coast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

4. #4 Re: Keeping ABS with a Rear TJ Rubicon D44 and Rubicon vs ZJ reardisc brakes 
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do you want ABS? Are you required to by law ? The reason I'm asking is when I put my custom 60 in the rear of my ZJ, I pulled all the sensors and then pulled the fuses that control the ABS. I don't get any warning lights and my Jeep brakes just fine. I didn't bother pulling the actual ABS stuff near the master cylinder though.

Oh, I'm running 33s.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

5. #5 Re: Keeping ABS with a Rear TJ Rubicon D44 and Rubicon vs ZJ reardisc brakes 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Driving or stopping on snowy roads is the main reason I kept mine as I was DD my ZJ when I upgraded to the i44.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

6. #6 Re: Keeping ABS with a Rear TJ Rubicon D44 and Rubicon vs ZJ reardisc brakes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do you want ABS? Are you required to by law ? The reason I'm asking is when I put my custom 60 in the rear of my ZJ, I pulled all the sensors and then pulled the fuses that control the ABS. I don't get any warning lights and my Jeep brakes just fine. I didn't bother pulling the actual ABS stuff near the master cylinder though.

Oh, I'm running 33s.
    Quote Originally Posted by cLAYH View Post
    Ideally I'd like to keep the ABS as other people than myself will be driving, both on and off road, however if its not easily possible then out it will come.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the TJ axle wasn't a c-clip.

BTW if you've disconnected your ABS but left the pump and valving in don't let the MC run dry or you risk getting air in the ABS pump and the only way to clear it is with a scanner and it does a self diagnostic before allowing the you to enter the bleed procedure. If the sensors are disconnected it won't let youdo the bleed procedure.

I had this problem on my last build with a custom rear D60 and front D44. I had to hook the sensors back up just to enter the bleed procedure in the scan tool. If I disconnect the ABS on this one its all coming out.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

Thread Information