Thread: lift help?

1. #1 lift help? 
    New to jeeps I'm used to building leaf sprung ford's so I'm hoping yall can be a big help.

Bought a 93 grand cherokee and have the running gear stripped out with a 8 lug 44 front and a 14 bolt rear waiting to go in. But I have a few questions, I know I'm going to need some type of setup similar to radius arms so I had planned on using tubing with weld in bungs and heims to keep the axles positioned and to help with axle wrap.

Planning to use either 7 inch coils from iron rock off road or 8 inch coils from someone else but I'm not sure if this is going to be sufficient enough to cram the 40" boggers I've got, any opinions?

Have already ordered frame stiffener kit from iron rock off road and trying to decide what length limit straps and shocks to run. Any input would be really appreciated, like I said this is my first coil spring project so I'm new to it and really really starting to miss my lead springs haha.

2. #2 Re: lift help? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    1. Search
    2. 40's on a 44? Hope you like trail repairs
    01 WJ

3. #3 Re: lift help? 
    Been running 40's on a 44 for years with upgraded shafts. I have searched but everything comes up to a 3 or 4 link and I'm asking if I can do it a different way.

4. #4 Re: lift help? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Most Grands are radius arms in the front. Look at what claytonsoffroad.com offers or Iron Rock Offroad.
    01 WJ

5. #5 Re: lift help? 
    Building with heims is no different than building with bushings or with Johnny Joints or whatever. The tech in the search will still apply. I'm running all heims on my arms with the exception of the front uppers that I kept bushings. The fronts on mine are radius arms, with a heim where the "upper" attaches to the lower.

I don't have a write up to refer you to, but again, there are plenty of builds that use front radius arms and heims at every joint. Or, if you can't find anything for front radius arms it's not overly complicated. I believe my "upper" is about 15" long C to C.

If you're asking about doing radius arms for the rear, you'll need to look to a different forum. Anti-squat numbers go to shit when using rear radius arms, plus you're limited by using a panhard bar to center the axle. 4-link generally eliminates the panhard by triangulating the uppers, the lowers or both.

Coils aren't that hard to build with, just different.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

6. #6 Re: lift help? 
    Ok so as of now this is what I have came up with.

7 inch front coils/8 inch rears from Clayton offroad
    Offset coil buckets from IRO
    Weld on control arm brackets for the axles
    Have a 14 bolt and a 8 lug 44 front

Now here's where I need some help, do I need to run a drop bracket for the control arms and if so does anyone make one for the zj? I haven't been able to find one. Or would I just be better off making my own long arms?
    Last edited by 93bogger; 01-19-2016 at 03:59 AM.

7. #7 Re: lift help? 
    Methinks you need to do some reading and searching. For one thing, drop brackets are the devil. For the second thing, drop brackets with that heavy of a tire/wheel combo are inviting a metric shit ton of trouble.

It will take some time, but for starters you should search on this site "radius arms" "long arms" "suspension calculator" "long arm brackets" "triangulated long arms" and go from there. The questions and statements you're making are 101 type questions, and you need to search to find what you're looking for. Once you've done that, and you can ask a question that starts with "I've searched, this is what I found, here is my question" then you will get a specific and useable answer. Right now you're using the shotgun approach.

Pirate is another good place to search for information.

Look for build threads by Kraqa, Aprilzwarrior, Agitated Pancake (WJ, but good tech), JohnBoulderCO (WJ but good tech) FtCollinsZJ and UTChavok among others as a starting point. These guys did their builds in stages, and they have a lot of detailed info on them. You have a lot of reading ahead of you, but there is a lot to be learned by searching.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but right now you don't know what you don't know. Hope this helps and is useful for you.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

8. #8 Re: lift help? 
    Go to Pirate4x4. Search. Search some more. When you've spec'd everything out take that design, throw it in the trash and search some more. Then, and only then should you start to fab your own longarms. There is nothing worse than finding a flaw in your design when you half way through welding brackets to your axle housing... ask me how i know...

You've already got the axles to boot, id go with a 3 link in the front and a single or double tri 4link in the rear. But don't take my word for it.

9. #9 Re: lift help? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by snaps View Post
    Go to Pirate4x4. Search. Search some more. When you've spec'd everything out take that design, throw it in the trash and search some more. Then, and only then should you start to fab your own longarms. There is nothing worse than finding a flaw in your design when you half way through welding brackets to your axle housing... ask me how i know...

You've already got the axles to boot, id go with a 3 link in the front and a single or double tri 4link in the rear. But don't take my word for it.

The force is strong in this newb . . .

Thread Information