Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
42re diagnosis

Thread: 42re diagnosis

1. #1 42re diagnosis 
    Hey guys,

I have the 2004 I6 with the 42re with 160k on it. My reverse went out first a few days ago. I can get into 1st and 2nd with no weirdness, but it shudders hard when trying to get into 3rd. I had noticed the transmission slipping slightly (usually in the higher gears) and had plans to change the fluid and filter soon. I also noticed a new whine sound when in park and over 2000rpms after the reverse went out, or maybe I had my music too loud to notice it before..

I don't think this is related, but I recently put in a 2.5" front 2" rear BB. I had a lot of trouble with the stock driveshaft and picked up one off a 94 V8 from the junkyard. I put in the new driveshaft only 2 or 3 days ago. Does anyone see how this could be related?

No codes were thrown... I dropped the pan to get a look inside and found this

Besides the 3 obvious pieces there are some much smaller shards

Considering my reverse and 3rd gear don't work, maybe those are pieces from the front clutch? Reference chart:

Although these pieces look eerily similar to the snap ring pieces that commonly break in the overdrive units, mine can't make it to 4th gear to engage the overdrive clutch.
    I pulled the plate outlined below and found a broken spring

The fluid was old but not awful looking.. it didn't smell burned.

Anyone able to piece this all together?

2. #2 Re: 42re diagnosis 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    The coil spring/piston parts are from your overdrive, the bits of the ring could be from any of the clusters. I think you're going to need to open it up.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

3. #3 Re: 42re diagnosis 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    The coil spring/piston parts are from your overdrive, the bits of the ring could be from any of the clusters. I think you're going to need to open it up.
    Yeah, that was I was thinking... I've never opened one before. I plan to drop it out and take a look and if it looks like too much, I'll just have to pay someone to rebuild it. I don't have any of the specialized tools

4. #4 Re: 42re diagnosis 
    It's the large snap ring before the overdrive unit. Common problem on 42re. Mine did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm still waiting on the inexpensive shit to break!!!

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

Thread Information