Thread: Axel swap for dummies...

1. #1 Axel swap for dummies... 
    Educate a newb on axle swaps for the WJ.

I Came here from another sight that the members had no idea what they were talking about, solution for everything was plasti dip it, or put a lowering kit on it.

So im not a complete newb, i know a little about vehicles went to school for Auto body restoration at one point. I mig weld, and have done all my own work since i owned the jeep.
    I have an 03 WJ 4.0l 42re/nv-242 dana 30 frnt 35 rear(3.73). I currently run a 3" short arm lift on 265/75/16. I have slowly over the past 4 months pieced together all parts for a 6" lift except, still need a double cardon front DS. As soon as shocks come in from kolak the 6" will be installed.
    It will eventully run 35s(ish), mostly mild/moderate trails, and beach driving, occasional mild rock crawling at uwharrie ohv trails.

I Am looking for The following info, and any other suggestion, starting points are gladly excepted.
    -Any other axels 3 link direct bolt in beside the d35/44a
    -whats the minimum width, and max width axels you would recommend on a wj
    - which axels/carriers offer easy to find ring an pinon, axel shaft/ lockers
    -may be a stupid question but if you build one at a time and swap it in one at a time, will that effect lift. example: if i build a rear first and swap that in, will it cause a rake in the vehicle height
    -whats the best route, completely new axel already built, or buy a used/junkyard axel and replace spider gears, axel shaft, etc

Thanks In advance.
    Last edited by NC_PreRunner; 05-17-2015 at 01:46 PM.

2. #2 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    All that I can say is have deep pockets. If you are looking for a cheap solution there isn't one. You can either polish the turds you have now which in my mind is wasted money, re-evaluate what type of wheeling you do and how hard you are on the vehicle. Plenty of people get by with those axles beefed up a bit and 35's. If your not tough on the vehicle I wouldn't worry about it to much till something happens. If you know you have a bit of a lead foot or might possible go even bigger in tire size then axles might be needed. You could hunt for a year and never get a good deal on a set of Rubicon axles. Even then you are only marginally stronger then what you have now but well enough for 35's and a little abuse. Then you would still have to install brackets on the rear since your current setup is different. You will not find any axle that will bolt right in. You will have to either fab or buy prefabbed axle bracket kits. Most of the kits are going to run $300+ per axle. You would think building a junk yard axle would be cheap even if you took your time and did all the work yourself but you would be wrong. It quickly adds up. The last time I put axles under my Jeep I spent and easy 3 grand on the front axle alone then an easy grand on the rear. That is being extremely generous on the numbers to. It was a lot more but that's around the minimum you are looking to do a set of say full width axles from a early to late 70's Ford. So that would be a Dana 44(true 44) and a Ford 9" or Dana 60. Those number are including it having a locker,alloys, and possible brake upgrades. Then you could like I said before hunt around for a set of JK Rubicon axles and pay something in the range of 1,000+ and axle and you would still either have to change your plans for the suspension you want to run or buy a bracket kit for the rear. You might be able to make the front work depending on what lift you have cobbled together but most likely would need a bracket kit or complete revamp of what lift you want to run.

So in short you can either spend a good chunk of change building some axles and hoping you get it right or you can empty you pockets a bit more and buy from a a place that prebuilds them to your needs like DynaTrac, Currie,etc. Expect to pay in ups of $2000+ just for housings. You want axles that are bolt in ready to go you are talking $3000+ and axle.

So think about why you think an axle swap is for you,evaluate your wheeling to see if it demands it, check your pockets......and dig into Google

Look at that......first hit is for a bolt in rear Dana 60 that they say is ABS compatible for under $2000....!!!!!
    And a front 60 for just over $3000 though it doesn't say that is ABS compatible
    Last edited by Wil Badger; 05-16-2015 at 11:57 AM.

3. #3 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Thanks for the input,
    I dont mind spending the $, but i get your point about evaluating the necessity of it. This is something i debated myself.
    i Live on the Coast of NC, mostly Beach driving, and mud trails, nothing that i would say is extreme by any means. There is some Mild rock climing in a nation park about 3hrs away, only time ive been was stock, so i didnt attempt to much.
    Now that im getting more into offroading i want the ability to go there a couple times a year without sweating about breaking the d35.
    I would also like to go to some of th grand slams, once i get a cappable rig.

Is the D35 cappable if trussed and upgraded a little, or is that a complete waste. i know they sell shaft upgrades for it,and i could steghten it but if it had 34-35s and a locker would that really matter. Id rather spend now, build slow than constantly having it towed out of trails.
    How much of an upgrade is the 44a over the 35? and how does that aluminum carrier hold up? I dont mind the money aspect but at the same time i dont want to spend a few months and 2500 on the d35 for it to just break on my first trip.

I dont mind fabing up the brackets myself for the new axels with a 4 link setup, straight bolt up is not a necessity just curious if there were any.
    I was sort of leaning towards 44s but have also head of people swaping in 60s, and a ford 8.8 (but heard this was rare).
    Dana 44 should have more than enough options in gears, and lockers from what ive read. i figure I will need at least 4.56 gear ratio with that size tire, and id like a selectable locker, cable, air etc.
    Last edited by NC_PreRunner; 05-16-2015 at 02:24 PM.

4. #4 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    In all honesty if you are a mild wheeler I would find a 44a for cheap drop it in and make or buy a truss/skid plate kit for it and call it done. I have beat'n on the front 30 with 35's pretty hard and you would be surprised what they can handle. A few simple upgrades and it will live. Put some actual shafts in it maybe some weld on inner C stiffeners,etc,etc. Knowing the the way I wheel I know not to waste money on the stock axles.

5. #5 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Alright I'm gonna see what i can research about the building up a 44a.

And also a Dana 44(true), trying to figure out if the tj 44,and jk rubicon 44 are all same widths(i assume tj would be far narrower).
    Then there are a couple ford 9" for sale locally on C.L. that would need full rehaul.
    Besides the 44a being cheaper, it seems like the true 44 would be the best option since I want to eventually get into more hardcore offroading.

Ill start looking into it, i've already found a few good write-ups on here.

6. #6 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    An XJ or TJ 44 would be your easiest route, I have a built XJ 44 under my 97 with the v8 and have beaten the crap out of it without issue, up front I have an hp30 that I left open and handles the 35's just fine. The JK44 would not be the same width and would require new brackets and the lug pattern is not the same.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

7. #7 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    This may be the route I take black_zj, Just wondering if the abs system is able to be used, and if not if it will effect my state vehicle inspection.
    Also i think the JK lug pattern should be the same, but the others should be the ones different. My wj is 5x5, not that it matters all that much.

Ive found on C.L. a JK 44 rear 4.56 gears, eaton locker, poison spyder dif cover. 1000$ needs brake, I would have to fab up some proper brackets, and i assume move/modify the coil spring perches. but this could be a good base to start from...
    Last edited by NC_PreRunner; 05-17-2015 at 09:21 AM.

8. #8 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by black_zj View Post
    An XJ or TJ 44 would be your easiest route, I have a built XJ 44 under my 97 with the v8 and have beaten the crap out of it without issue, up front I have an hp30 that I left open and handles the 35's just fine. The JK44 would not be the same width and would require new brackets and the lug pattern is not the same.
    Its for a WJ. He's going to need new brackets with almost any axle.

9. #9 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Swap in a 44a with a a spartan run the 3.73's since they are easily attainable. If you choose to go further come to a firm decision and do the front first! I built a 9 then decided a 44 was not strong enough for what I wanted to do so I am going to be building a 14b after I get my front 60 in.
    01 WJ

10. #10 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Yeah was talking to people on a facebook group also, quite a few run locked, 44a trussed, with no issues.
    I was under the impression it wasn't that much better than the d35 but i stand corrected.

Since I can buy it, truss it, regear, and lock all for a fraction the price of the Dana 44 I suppose it would be the best route (like wil badger said already). It will save me a lot of time and work, not having to measure and fab up custom brackets as well. Ill probably go with 4.56 gears, my current 3.73 feel sluggish with 32s. And a cable locker so I can just switch it b4 hitting the trail.

Thanks again for all the tips,
    after looking through the site at some of your builds, I guess an axle swap question is about like a BB question to you guys. lol

11. #11 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Its for a WJ. He's going to need new brackets with almost any axle.
    I missed that part, I guess being up for 19 hours had something to do with it. Someone else I was talking to a few years back said you can buy chromoly shafts for the XJ 44 in 5 on 5in lug pattern if I recall correctly. But otherwise there are a few documented JK axle swaps he could read up on.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

12. #12 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I have the 44a with a skid and Spartan locker 3:73gears and it all seems to work pretty well just maybe truss it in the near future.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

13. #13 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    There are no selectable lockers for the 44a.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

14. #14 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    I thought arb came out with a locker for it.

sent from my phone.
    Attached Images  
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

15. #15 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Well hot damn.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

16. #16 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    I believe it's the same carrier as the new JKs minus the bigger pinion. Thick gear 44 carrier, believe it's also the same for the rodeo 44
    Last edited by Wil Badger; 05-26-2015 at 10:12 PM.

17. #17 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    ARB has an air locker. Cant seem to find anything else but lunchbox lockers.

18. #18 Re: Axel swap for dummies... 
    I imagine you've already done whatever it is you were going to do axle wise but I wanted to point out that the dana 44a has a pinion shaft nearly identical to the dana 60 and a ring gear only a little bit smaller. This axle is in my opinion a better choice than an iron 44 because it has 30 spline non c-cliped shafts straight from the factory (ZJ variant has c-clips). With a skid plate, you should be more than fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snaps; 01-27-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Thread Information