Thread: 1995 Grand Cherokee

1. #1 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    I really hate to do this, but I think it's time that I just part ways with this. I just didn't enjoy building it as much as I thought I would. It has potential, I just didn't want to take the time to figure out my mistakes.

1995 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) Limited with the 5.2L V8. To start I'd like to try and get $1000 for it as it sits.

Here’s what it has.

Motor:
    • 5.2L V8 with around 160,000 miles. Can check actual mileage this weekend. Ran pretty good before I parked the Jeep.
    • 50mm bored out throttle body by 'The Fastman' (https://www.thefastman.com/throttlebodies5x.php).
    • Block hugger headers from Novak with a natural finish (Mopar / Dodge Small Block V8 Headers). I think I have some 3” pipe that could go with it for the exhaust if needed. I know I have a 3” Magnaflow cat if you want that.
    • MSD 8.5mm (at least I think they’re 8.5mm) spark plug wires that are not installed but I'll include them.
    • MSD ignition coil (I think I already installed that but if not it’ll go with it).

Transmission:
    • 46RH Automatic
    • The current transmission is burnt up and either needs a rebuild or just to be scrapped, but I do have a spare 46RH to go with it with no extra cost. I also have a Dodge NP435 with a Dodge bellhousing which I believe came out of a Dodge that had the 318, so it should have the same bolt pattern as the block. That transmission could go with it for a little extra, would be good for a manual swap.

Transfer Case:
    • Stock NP231, nothing fancy about it.
    • There is a homemade t-case skid made from 1/4" plate. Kinda looks like doo doo, but it does the job.

Suspension:
    • The rig is set up for Clayton's longarm system. 3 piece cross member with brackets, unibody stiffener rails and rear frame brackets. I'm keeping the control arm joints, but you can have the actual control arms if you want. They're 2" OD .25 wall DOM lowers, 1.75 OD .120 wall DOM uppers, and a single upper for the front. They are a radius arm set up and are threaded, you'd just need the joints.
    • Front was going to be set up for coilovers (I’ll mention more about that in the ‘issues’ section), rear is set up for a 4-link with triangulated uppers and currently has 3.5” RE springs that will go with.

Body/Frame/Unibody:
    • Has dents and scratches, rockers are kinda smashed in, front/rear fenders are trimmed.
    • Windows are still in good shape, none are cracked or chipped.
    • It has cargo rails on the roof!
    • Has front frame rail plating, 1/8" I believe (maybe 3/16", can't remember).
    • As mentioned in the suspension section, it has Clayton’s unibody/frame rail stiffeners welded on.
    • The rear driver side of the unibody is a little tweaked from smashing it down on a rock, so the rear hatch will rub a little when opening. All other doors open just fine though and I haven’t noticed any cracks in the unibody around that area.

Interior:
    • Interior is in fair shape, headliner is starting to peel off on the front passenger side. Floors are pretty muddy.
    • Leather seats (the good ones). They are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. No tears, does have some mud on them though but I’m sure they can be cleaned.

Miscellaneous Stuff:
    • I was going to do the ‘Kung Fu – One Ton’ brake conversion (Kung Fu Brakes One Ton Brake upgrade), but never got around to installing the booster and MC. The booster is single diaphragm from an 88 Cherokee, and the MC is from I believe an 85 E-350. Those will go with the Jeep. Or I can get the stock ZJ booster and MC and reinstall those.
    • Headlights are custom. They look funky but they work way better than the plastic crap that were originally on there. I used these to help pass inspection. There are also ‘rock lights’ that are tied into the fogs. They just point down in front of the front tires.
    • There are also other misc items that will go with it, I’ll have to go through the garage this weekend to see what all I have.

Here are the issues.

• It hasn't ran since the beginning of 2009, so little over 6 years. The gas tank has a little under half a tank of old gas, so it’ll need to be emptied or I guess you could try to get it running with it. I think with fresh gas and a little work the motor will start right up with no issues.
    • All axles have been pulled, the axle and tires in the pics will NOT go with it. It’ll just be the body and drivetrain.
    • There are 2 holes cut into the engine bay for coilovers, they’re cut where the coil springs used to go so your only options as far as suspension goes are either air shocks or coilovers, unless you can think of something else. I was going to run coilovers but had issues with the hoops being in the way of the brake booster and master cylinder. You could probably try using towers instead of hoops, that was one thing I was going to try but I ended up running out of interest in the project. I do have 2 sets of hoops you can try out if you want, those will be included.

The main issue is getting it out of the garage which will be up to you. I will help you get it out, whether it be ideas or just labor itself, but you will have to supply the trailer/flatbed/tow truck, or whatever is going to be used to get it out of the garage. I already have some ideas on how to get it out but if anyone else has any others please let me know.

I know that’s a lot of info, so if you want cliff notes just let me know and I’ll give you a quick run-down. I just wanted to include enough to give an idea of what’s present and what needs to be done. This Jeep has a lot of potential if built by the right person. I hate to get rid of it, but I just got in way over my head and lost motivation for it over time. I also don’t have the time to deal with it anymore since I live in Austin now. If there are any other questions or if you want more pics, post up or PM me. The Jeep is in College Station, TX and as mentioned I will NOT deliver it or meet halfway given its current state. I forgot to mention I do have the title for it.

Thanks for looking.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

2. #2 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    New price, $800.

Here's a link to some pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehap2ym8x...AqjtFjs9a?dl=0

If it doesn't sell as a whole in a couple of weeks I'll part it out.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

3. #3 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    I want to buy it just for the window art!
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

4. #4 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    Let me know next time you're up there, I can swing by and lend a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

5. #5 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    <circling vulture> sooo when are you going to part it?
    how about you load up this POS in your Cummins firetruck and tow it to Katy for me
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

6. #6 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    <circling vulture> sooo when are you going to part it?
    how about you load up this POS in your Cummins firetruck and tow it to Katy for me
    Haha when I get some time to go back to College Station I'll start parting it out, which might be in a couple weeks. If I can get a trailer and figure out how to roll it onto it I wouldn't mind towing it down to Katy if you're serious...
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

7. #7 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    sure if you wanna dump it and run I'm cool with that haha I could chop as needed and throw the rest in the work dumpster...... but depends on your all GONE at once "convenience charge"

but I don't need the engine (my stroker has more power than 5.2L) or trans (might take 231 Tcase as a backup) but I don't need most of your ZJ.
    I just want several of the smaller things, ALL door lock actuators, maybe window motors, wiper motors, wiper cowl, tail lights if intact, rear license plate housing area, maybe hood, steering gear box, wiper bottle pumps, radio bezel surround, VIC, maybe make drivers chair an office chair, center roof console, maybe headliner, all roof grab handles, 1 roof rack crossbar, etc little stuff

AKA pick the carcass clean for spares then use it as an RTI ramp haha
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

8. #8 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    Haha alright, I'll shoot you a PM and we can work something out.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

9. #9 Re: 1995 Grand Cherokee 
    Figure I'd just continue this thread rather than start a new one. Mods feel free to move this to the "parting out" forum if needed.

I'm going out to College Station this weekend to start picking apart the ZJ then scrapping the body, if anyone wants any parts from it let me know. Some things have already been called for by DJJordache, see his post above. I'm going to hold whatever he wants until I hear back from him, if I don't hear back from him after a while then I'll post what he wanted up for sale.

Post up for PM me with what you want and I'll try to pull it. I'm only going to ship smaller items, not going to ship the motor, transmissions, transfer case, doors or anything of that size unless you're local, then we can arrange to meet up or something. I'll most likely go out there 2 weekends so if I can't get what you want pulled this weekend I can shoot for the another (not sure when that will be though).
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

Thread Information