Thread: 02 ignition problems - starting at the key

1. #1 02 ignition problems - starting at the key 
    I have a 2002 WJ, with 112,000 miles on it. Drove around all day under normal operation, until I get home and turn the key to shut the motor off. When I jumped back in 10 mins later and tried to turn the key forward I noticed there was no turning 'friction' - 'tension' - 'spring- back' to the key. The key goes in and free spins to on but does not engage the starter to crank up. Electronics are on but no connection from key turning to starter.

I went ahead and tried a new lock, thinking it had something to do with the tumblers. This is not the case and I have eliminated that possibility of contributing to the problem.

The light on the dash above the check engine did come on it looks like a key with a slash through it.

Micro chip issues?
    Inside the steering colum there is a slot with a distinct shape for the ignition lock to fit in, could this be faulty issue?

Thanks.

2. #2 Re: 02 ignition problems - starting at the key 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Pretty sure that's the sentry key light, but it wouldn't prevent you from starting, it would just stall it out after a couple seconds.

I think the whole ignition switch is the issue.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

3. #3 Re: 02 ignition problems - starting at the key 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    Pretty sure that's the sentry key light, but it wouldn't prevent you from starting, it would just stall it out after a couple seconds.

I think the whole ignition switch is the issue.
    Thanks for the reply -
    I think the ignition switch is the issue too. I'm gonna have an expert take a look due to lack of time. I'll let you know what it takes to fix it behind the lock cylinder is the ignition actuator which could be the problem but its a tiny mechanical part far beyond my skill level.

4. #4 Re: 02 ignition problems - starting at the key 
    It was the ignition actuator pin that caused the vehicle not to start. Had this replaced three days ago and now today after work I go to start the motor and the wheel locked up while backing out. It did not unlock until i read on my phone if you force it hard enough it will release. Tried this and shut the motor off, and now it wont start back up again.... I'm stumped.

Thread Information