Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. - Page 2

Thread: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Measured once and cut twice... Oh crap. At least i have room to stretch it more..Also my air compressor decided that 150 psi was more than it wanted. So it threw me the middle finger and both rods... Why is everything on this craftsman compressor marked china?The air compressor wouldn't have been that bad but i was trying to plate my front end that day. No air = no plasma. Luckily my buddy is moving and gave me his old one. Still lost half a day. Have a bunch of real updates but no more pics. Trying to get it on the road next weekend.
    93zj build. 4.0 aw4, 231, 60s, and 37s. Some cutting and some welding.

2. #27 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Did a whole lot over the weekend and this week with the help of a few friends. Got shocks setup front and rear, bump stops done. Front frame plated, everything torn down for final welding. Tranfer case torn apart awaiting wide chain, hd mode hub, sye, and 6 gear planetary(only waiting on sye should be here tomorrow). Super duty front shaft with 1350 joints cut to fit rear. Rear axle welding completed, battery placement figured out, and a few other things.

It feels like i am getting close, I have 3 days this weekend to try to Get it on the road by Monday. Don't know if ill make it but i will try like hell to.

3. #28 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Well, meager update time. Family and work came up and very little progress has really been made since my high hopes. But still chipping away.

My sye got here late, almost a week late at that. And because i haven't had a day off since then it's still in pieces in a box. Really hoping i can remember how to put humty dumpty back together again..

And since i had some time i decided that the pinch seam on the inner frame rails was pissing me off so i removed it and added more plate. It made my x member mounting better at least. Plated in the frame after notching for control arm clearance, slugged the frame with some 1inch .188 wall dom and used 5/8 bolts to secure my x member. Then finished welding the x member all up.

Does anyone think i need more gussets on anything? I still need to add a skid for the tranny and tc, but that may wait till later.

Also got some speed hole making devices from tmr.

[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/gregorytm/media/zj/20150609_202012_HDR.jpg.html]

4. #29 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Got the 231 all done.

6 gear planitary in.

Wide chain, large mode hub and Advanced adapters shaft.

And all buttoned up waiting to go in.

5. #30 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    You're making great progress! I'm really liking your build.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

6. #31 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    You're making great progress! I'm really liking your build.
    Thanks. Been busy as hell with family and work but its getting there.

Still plugging away.

I had read several places that the vent on my aw4 was in the bellhousing by the front pump and that if i go in semi deep water that it will kill the tranny. After pulling my trans i found this to be untrue. Then i found that i had managed to order the wrong seal for it. So if you have a zj with the aw4 do not waste the time doing this as it is not an issue.

Since i was delayed an extra few weeks i scraped a little cash together and lunchbox locked the front with a Spartan locker. Couldn't do the rest as it has a posi in it.

Started painting and final details on everything for install. Got the diversity shortened and balanced for the rear.

Picked up a powertank from my boss. It's the old model and needed to be hydro tested but i got s killer deal on it.

Got a bunch of little things done but nothing groundbreaking, just tying up loose ends.

Got some time and a few friends coming this weekend to help so hopefully going to have some worthwhile updates soon.

7. #32 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Hey look no stands!

Still needs steering and brakes finished, paint, exhaust, and all fluids, but I'm stoked!

I ended up with a good shackle angle that is adjustable. Added beef to the mounts and finished shock mounts. In the front i made my track bar bracket that is welded to the plated uni and bolted on the bottom and sides. I ran the front bumps on the shocks, not the best setup but for my wheeling style they should hold up. I had to notch my motor mount for steering shaft clearance. I could have sworn i check that during mock up but i guess not. I also capped the sliders and added a hole by each corner with DOM welded in for hi-lift points and double for drainage.

The front currently sits a little higher than the rear but i think it will be even when the battery, winch, and fluids are added. If not then putting rhe shackle in the rear hole raises the rear by about 3/4 of an inch.

8. #33 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Brakes are done and bled, power steering cooler is installed, just need an adapter for the new res and get the exhaust done and i can take her for a test drive!

9. #34 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Serious question. Why the fuck did you go leaf in the back. A link setup is super easy on these and will work much better.
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

10. #35 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    Serious question. Why the fuck did you go leaf in the back. A link setup is super easy on these and will work much better.
    Several reasons already listed.
    1. They work, my buddies cj7 on 60s and leaf springs goes everywhere. An xj with leafs and a radius arm kit i wheel with goes everywhere a tj on long arms goes.
    2. Weight, they don't sag nearly as bad under load. And my rig is used for hunting and camping all fall.
    3. They were cheap and i was on a budget. My rear suspension cost less than any one of my links on the front.

But really i think the biggest reason is that this is my first full one off build on suspension. Call it immaturity or just plain wussing out but i knew i wouldn't mess up leafs. The 4 link or wishbone 3 link in the rear may not be to hard on these, but leaves are Damn near dummy proof. All you need to worry about is shackle angle and a track bar and you are done.

11. #36 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Shouldn't even need a track bar with leaves. CJs don't have one, and I've pulled them off of YJs without any ill effect.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

12. #37 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Shouldn't even need a track bar with leaves. CJs don't have one, and I've pulled them off of YJs without any ill effect.
    Sorry, i mean traction bar also know as anti wrap bar or link for controlling axle wrap.

13. #38 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Well i got the steering cooler and reservior installed and plumbed, bled it(no assist yet i didn't like my mounts so I'm redoing them) also added a mount for my air filter i nabbed off my s10.

Then i tightened down everything, did a quick alignment topped off all the fluids and drove her for a quick test drive. Got her up to a little over 50 on tucson pothole covered roads with no death wobble and nice tight handling and doesn't pull when driving. Flexed her out a little and found a few spots to trim(no pics it was dark by then).

Still need to install the front shaft and get the exhaust done. Also i found a few wires that grounded out to my tails so i kept blowing fuses. But i should be able to do an actual shakedown run on Monday!

14. #39 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Well shakedown didn't happen today because i couldn't put my front shaft in. The bastard joint and new straps for the stupid 7290 joint were almost as expensive as a new yoke. So i just got the new yoke so i could just grab spare jy shafts in the future. But the yoke won't get here till Thursday studio shakedown will happen then. In the mean time i checked all clearances on a ramp, trimmed fenders, got the exhaust done, and fabbed up a t case skid.

Its no flat belly, but it's as high as out can get without major floor mods. The jack is as high as i can get it with no visible flex from the skid. It has a tube that is covered up by the plate on the drivers side of the t case that goes from the main tube back to the x member. 1 3/4 .120 dom and .25 bottom plate, .188 on the side and plate on the frame. Still need to drill and tap a few bolts in the side but im happy with it.

15. #40 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Took it up to get emissions done today and to get a piece of the exhaust fixed. Did 80 on the freeway with no issues. Though i want too go get some beads for the tires as i threw a weight already.

Found a test spot and checked flex. Need to add a bit to the rear bumps but everything works great and stuffs well. Rear tires barely hit at full bump, fronts have just over 1/2 inch clearance at full stuff. And she is so much more stable!

16. #41 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Double post
    Last edited by bentwrench; 07-17-2015 at 10:00 AM.

17. #42 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    First run yesterday went great, so much more stable and i hardly even scraped. And you would never guess that it was July in az, the high was 85 and it was beautiful out! The wj we went with its on Claytons, tons, and 37s.

Now time to enclose the rear fenders and paint everything. Then just wheeling. Cage will bee the next step and hope to start that in the next few months.

18. #43 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Looks good man, and fun. And judging by the video you posted on pirate it hooks up well too.

19. #44 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by CRJEeP_wj View Post
    Looks good man, and fun. And judging by the video you posted on pirate it hooks up well too.
    Yeah it did great, has a slight tendency to squat but im really happy with the setup. The spare, recovery gear, and power tank drops the rear almost an inch too.

Here is that vid. I wish she had gotten some of the harder lines i did, but ill get it next time.

20. #45 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Thats Justins WJ? It looks like it.

21. #46 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Looks like everything works well. Good work, now enjoy the 'wheeling!
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

22. #47 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by dubj View Post
    Thats Justins WJ? It looks like it.
    Yes you know him?

23. #48 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Another video

24. #49 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    Quote Originally Posted by bentwrench View Post
    Yes you know him?
    Yeah, we met at GSW 2014.

25. #50 Re: The Danger wagon. my hunting/trail rig. 
    More fun last weekend

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information