Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
aussie locker binding? popping.. normal??

Thread: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal??

1. #1 aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Ok so I'm new to the lunchbox locker world. I bought an aussie used off craigslist, it installed within spec but when I drive it i get an ocassional bind up. This happens both when turning and driving straight. It's in the rear dana 35 37's and Croom shafts. In now way would I call this "ratcheting" this is a loud pop or bang like I just broke an axleshaft or something. It dosent sound good. This may be normal I just don't know.. everything looks good under the diff cover when I took it off. Someone with experience with theese lockers please let me know what your lockers normal sounds are!!
    98 grand cherokee laredo rolled and rebuilt, 4.5 lift bald 37's, locked dana35/ dana 300 tcase and soon to be 8 lug 44 chevy front axle running 4:10's building a 3 linked chevy 44, and triangulated 4 link 14 bolt rear

96 grand cherokee bone stock.. has death wobble #JEEPLIFE

2. #2 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I have an Aussie in my 8.8 and have had it in there for a while now, and we had one in my wife's ZJ's 44A for a while when we had it too. We put thousands of miles on and off road with both vehicles with the Aussie in them. Never did it do what you're describing. With you having a 35, it could be a multitude of problems, and honestly trying to fix a 35 is pointless. If you want to run 37's, get a real axle before something really bad happens to the 35.

3. #3 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Yea I have a 14 bolt that's waiting for links. The 35 is just for driving between the welder and my garage I just don't like hearing it pop and Crack I can't exactly pinpoint where the sound is comming from but I have no ds to the front axle so I can pretty much count that out the t case is a dana 300 recently swapped in because of that sound. I took apart the 242 and found chunks so I put the dana 300 in. The sound is still there and the same.. intermittent loud clunks. Probably like a 22 is going off under the jeep the suspension also lurches or squats down when it happens.. some are louder than others
    98 grand cherokee laredo rolled and rebuilt, 4.5 lift bald 37's, locked dana35/ dana 300 tcase and soon to be 8 lug 44 chevy front axle running 4:10's building a 3 linked chevy 44, and triangulated 4 link 14 bolt rear

4. #4 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Pull the locker and put the spider gears back in? No point in locker when you're just driving on the road.

5. #5 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Yea I'm in the parking lot of pick a part right now! Lol thanks for the help guys

6. #6 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 

Pulled a factory limited slip out of a zj checked out for 75 bucks... not bad I also scored an extra 4:11 ring gear.. anyone want this stupid aussie? It locks 37's just makes too much noise for me..

7. #7 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    noise while going straight is NEVER good with a locker.

stupid question but are your rear tires the same diameter? the only reason why it should be making noise is it would be trying to engage. so either your drunk and you are actually turning, your tires are not the same diameter, or your locker is installed incorrectly. not much else can affect it.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

8. #8 aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Maybe the ring and pinion aren't the same tooth like one is 3:73 and other is 3:80 or the pinion is missing a whole tooth, Or he has a broken axle shaft!
    Something seems fishy...
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 01-13-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

9. #9 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    I gave up on it lol. I don't need a locker right now anyway. The LSD works bitchin. I took it out in the mud and both rear tires hook up so I'm happy with it.. and no more noise.. it could have very well been the tires being different diameters. Or that I was drunk lol

Anyone want an aussie locker for a dana 35??

10. #10 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    Both ring and pinion are a matching 4:11

11. #11 Re: aussie locker binding? popping.. normal?? 
    I need aussie if ya still got it

Thread Information