Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

zj build "chief" - Page 2

Thread: zj build "chief"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Instead of trying to mess with the locker I decided to say screw it, so I went to the local pickapart and found a factory limited slip, the jeep it was under was pretty clean. Didn't look beat up or offroaded to heavily. So I pulled it out and paid 75 bucks for it. NoT bad seeing it came with a matching ring gear. Gotta love having spares right?

Plan for tomorrow is fill up the diff and romp on it a little bit. I still have yet to really test my driveline I wonder if it gunna hold up to the abuse
    98 grand cherokee laredo rolled and rebuilt, 4.5 lift bald 37's, locked dana35/ dana 300 tcase and soon to be 8 lug 44 chevy front axle running 4:10's building a 3 linked chevy 44, and triangulated 4 link 14 bolt rear

96 grand cherokee bone stock.. has death wobble #JEEPLIFE

2. #27 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Thanks I was waiting to see some input on angles.. one question I do have is how far over should I put the axle side link tower? Should I run the arm straight or try and triangulate the upper towards the center of the jeep
    98 grand cherokee laredo rolled and rebuilt, 4.5 lift bald 37's, locked dana35/ dana 300 tcase and soon to be 8 lug 44 chevy front axle running 4:10's building a 3 linked chevy 44, and triangulated 4 link 14 bolt rear

3. #28 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    run the upper arm as straight as you can with a 3 link. if not when you step on the brake, the axle will want to roll and the angle of the arm will try to force it sideways. the track bar stops the sideways motion, but if your bushings or joint on the track bar are loose or worn you will get clunking and inevitably death wobble.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

4. #29 Re: zj build "chief" 
    It's slightly angled already when I tacked in the 3Rd mount I tried to aim it at the stock location as best I could.. with the wider axle it shouldn't be too far towards the center.. this is my first link build I just hope it will be as stable as I like it.

5. #30 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Took the jeep out for a spin behind my new house. There's lots of trails right at the end of my street and everything is green thanks to some california rain

The lsd preformed flawlessly with no more popping or binding.. thank god
    Last edited by FOUR.GO; 01-12-2015 at 09:48 PM.

6. #31 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Staff
    what do those 37's actually measure. they actually look small on there.

they also dont stick out muc. any pics of what you did in the front to get them to clear when your turning?
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer

7. #32 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Not sure.. they are pretty worn though. I just put longer bolts in the knuckles they still rub on the controll arms and on the spring perch when I stuff it. I don't take it out very much so it rubbing isint a very big deal I did cut out the front number and under the headlights. This is the best shot I have of it.. I'll take some more when I wake up tomorrow morning and measure the tire. The rear fenders are trimmed as Hugh up as I could go.

8. #33 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Soooo homemade driveshaft didnt hold up too well tonight.
    Ended up spinning it right in the middle of the tubing... what are you guys running custom driveshafts building it out of?

Then to make things worse. The guy towing me out if the trail dragged me into a ravine where I nearly rolled it. Tore off my whole front headlight assembly and grille.. God dammit. Lol but I can't be too mad. He got me home heres a carnage pic

I'll take some more in the morning when there's light outside.
    Hopefully it's nOT too bad

9. #34 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    what do those 37's actually measure. they actually look small on there.

they also dont stick out muc. any pics of what you did in the front to get them to clear when your turning?
    I rub at full stuff. I measured the tires today I'm at 35.5 so a little smaller than 37's. I started with jk rims and spacers and got rid of those for some unique rims with a little more back spacing. They still rub in the rear but minimal.. mostly when i have someone or gear loaded up in the back..or when I hit a deep rut going fast. as for the front. They rub on the controll arms and upper spring perch when there stuffed and pinned to one direction. I just stay concious of my turning radius and cut it short a little so I don't bind or rub on them..

went out tonight with a friend that has a rough country long arm on his xj, and smashed on him tI'll I twised the driveshaft. He said mine looks ReAL smooth through the bumps. I can't wait to long arm it..
    Last edited by FOUR.GO; 01-15-2015 at 08:47 AM.

10. #35 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Staff
    how did he tow you into a ditch?

were you not behind the wheel?
    EPIC POLYMER RACING

11. #36 Re: zj build "chief" 
    It was a washout on a downhill left turn and I was getting towed backwards.. he just wasn't listening to me and thought he had it. Turned too sharp and dropped my rear passenger tire in and kept pulling which just pulled me further down the ditch

12. #37 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Anything on the custom shafts? I was thinking .120 wall should do the trick this time.. but what's the bset material??

13. #38 Re: zj build "chief" 
    I'd say you need dom, larger diameter will handle more torque. 2" .120 wall would prolly be just fine imo
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

14. #39 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Is there any reason not to go .25

15. #40 Re: zj build "chief" 
    If it's a trail rig only I'd go with .25 wall. But that's a big increase in rotating mass, so bearings in your t case and diff will get that much more beat up from the extra weight bouncing around.
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

16. #41 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Staff
    Anything over .120 is tough to keep balanced. And it is very hard on bearings and u joints. I run 3" x 0.120 dom tubing. It can take a decent beating. I had a long chat with Tom woods at gsw2007 about drive shaft material because he wouldn't sell me.250" unless I had 1410 u joints.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING

17. #42 Re: zj build "chief" 
    It's pretty much trail use only right now.. I do drive it back and fourth to my buddies house for welding about 5 miles away.. I think I might try the .120 and see how it holds up I'd rather replace a drives shaft than torture a t case

18. #43 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Started tearing down the rear axle today. It's a 14 bolt 9.5 inch ring gear 4:10's and 33 spline axleshaft I believe. It's 8 lug and drum brakes. Which is where I need your guys help! Anyone know a swap that will allow me to run disk brakes? Preferably something I can fund at the junk yard... I don't want to buy a kit

Started taking off all the brakes.. making sure ring and pinion wernt blow. Up or missing teeth.. I'll start grinding off all the brackets tomorrow to make way for the 4 link.

Also took some more accurate pick of hoe my links should turn out, let me know what you think

StI'll waiting on mone for heims and a couple more brackets and I should have the front buttoned up soon

19. #44 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Cone on guys... 14bolt SF rear disk conversions... ready go! lol I've been researching a little the FF guys buy brackets get frontrotors and use some caddy calipers for the e brakes. Will the same work for my semi floater? Also read one guy took a h2 rear axle with an e locker out and got a 9.5 with disk breaks?? Is this true? Would hunting for a new axle be worth It or is there an easier way? an e locker would be pretty nice

20. #45 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Little update. Ordered some lower link mounts and track bar brackets.

Not sure if I like where the track bar is or not.. I think I want to move it further outboard in front of the coilover. (Making the trackbar longer)

Also got rid of the stock light setup for some CREE LED pods I got for 40$
    not bad for such little lights..

21. #46 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Got out to the garage this morning to see what I could do about making the track bar longer.. I ended up taking a grinder to the front of the link mount to make some clearance. I need to get some 2.5 springs for my coilover to see if they will fit in there. The lower spring perch fits so I'm hoping the springs not much wider

22. #47 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Any suggestions for spring Rates? Thinking about going 200/350 dual rate I'm running 14"FOAS not much weight up front battery's been relocated. No headlight housings/header panel I'm new to the coilover world Andy advice helps

23. #48 Re: zj build "chief" 
    Read the mallcrawlin topic of the month over coilovers for some good stuff and follow the pirate link. If I ever go coilovers I'll definitely be following that guys advice on longer/softer coils.

Keep up the good work man

24. #49 Re: zj build "chief" 
    The jeeps been sitting awhile while I gather parts for the front end.. brackets and such.. I ran into a problem with the link mounts I ordered. I'm gunna reorder this time with a 10 degree pitch so I can put a bend in the lower links to keep the heims straight in the clayton Crossmember. I stripped out the front axle and half assed mocked up the dana 44

With some 35's I had laying around..

Also picked up a will wood proportioning valve to replace the abs system and make room for the shock towers. I will be flaring the new brake lines soon and hopefully running 220v to my garage and burning all this in.

In the mean time... boys will be boys. I built an RC crawler course in my backyard equipped wi rh a dump and bump.. rock garden and some muddy trenches and hill climbs

If anyone in the socal area has a crawler come over let's have a beer and crawl!

25. #50 Re: zj build "chief" 
    I've been neglecting my jeep the last few weeks playing with this little crawler and figured it's time to get in gear with this project. I put some rims and tires on the front 44 to line up the axle a little better to see what it will look like.36 military tires 16.5 rim Also picked up some stainless steel brake line to route my prop valve. I had a buddy redo my driveshaft with a chromalloy tube. he just sent over the pictures today looks pretty decent. So in the next week or two I'll be putting the stock axle back under it to get it to the shop and burn the new axle and links in. As of now the only big thing I need is some springs. I've called PAC a few times and can never get ahold of anyone... anybody on here a vendor for them or that can get my order in would help alot! Let me know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information