Thread: Build or buy: Headers for the V8

1. #1 Build or buy: Headers for the V8 
    I have the drivetrain pulled from my 5.9 project, and am considering putting headers on.

I have gotten a price for a set of Doug Thorleys, and it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Anybody here make their own? Thinking about buying a random assortment of U bends and elbows, and getting to work. Never built headers before, but I consider myself pretty adept with fabrication.

I can either fully MIG them, or MIG tack, and have my buddy TIG weld them out.

After they would be complete, how does one protect them? Ceramic coating would be best, but is it 100% necessary?

Where would I buy header flanges? Is this even available?
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

2. #2 Re: Build or buy: Headers for the V8 
    Diy header kits are available ...
    http://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust-Header...10607/10002/-1
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

3. #3 Re: Build or buy: Headers for the V8 
    I briefly checked these out when researching a ls swap. I would use high temp header paint and wrap em.
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

4. #4 Re: Build or buy: Headers for the V8 
    I decided to just buy the Thorleys. I have another 360 in the shop though, and I'm thinking of building a set for it. I just got impatient with myself haha. I really want this Jeep on the road.

I have a bigger Miller TIG sitting in the shop, but have NEVER used it. I am going to pick up some stainless and practice. I want to build some really nice 304 stainless headers in the future.

There is a 6 part video series on youtube from StainlessHeaders.com about building custome headers, and it give me much confidence that I can tackle this project at another time.
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

5. #5 Re: Build or buy: Headers for the V8 
    Damn. I was going to offer to come down and 3D scan your block to model the mounts up in CAD so we can cut the flanges out on your plasma table.
    Poetry in commotion.

6. #6 Re: Build or buy: Headers for the V8 
    Quote Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ View Post
    I have the drivetrain pulled from my 5.9 project, and am considering putting headers on.

I have gotten a price for a set of Doug Thorleys, and it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Anybody here make their own? Thinking about buying a random assortment of U bends and elbows, and getting to work. Never built headers before, but I consider myself pretty adept with fabrication.

I can either fully MIG them, or MIG tack, and have my buddy TIG weld them out.

After they would be complete, how does one protect them? Ceramic coating would be best, but is it 100% necessary?

Where would I buy header flanges? Is this even available?
    Have you contact'ed Kolak?? I got a pretty good price on my DT's and also went with his custom 3" full exhaust system...still haven't had time to install them due to working full time and putting myself through Hi Performance auto. school but I'm more than impressed with the design...plus the DT's come with a true 3" flange which is perfect for his custom 3" piping and free's up a ton of power over the factory 2.25" with the terribly designed crushed y-pipe.
    -98' 5.9 Limted ZJ (Race Jeep)- K&N CAI; Firepower Ignition; Ford Racing 4-hole injector's; DT headers; Kolak 3" custom exhaust (stroker motor & hopefully turbo/intercooler set up)
    -96' 4.0 ZJ (wheeler) 5.5"; Bosch 26lb 4-hole injector's; 99+ intake manifold swap; CAI (snorkel soon) 4.56's; locked, chromoly shaft's and Ford 8.8 w/ Artec Truss/axle kit going under soon..as well as a custom 5spd swap + Comp Cam/ Valvetrain installing soon

Thread Information