Hi guys,
Haven't posted up in quite a long time simply because of work, being old, being a grand parent, etc. but I have an issue that I could really use some good input on.

A couple days ago I identified a bad harmonic balancer and the noise it was making. After removing the balancer, sure enough it turns out that it wore about a 1/8" x 3/4" groove/hole in the cover right on the timing marks which you can see through. My question is with 260k on the motor (which runs just fine) do I repair it correctly by getting a replacement cover, timing chain, etc.? OR could I get some hi temp JB Weld putty and just plug the hole? I'm pretty sure there's enough area that the putty can grab and I have heard good things about the hi temp putties but my only concern in using them is how well they stick and possibly a chunk getting into the timing cover if a piece brakes off for whatever reason - that's probably a long shot but what do you guys think? I have good access to the area to clean it well and I would really prefer not to have to completely tear into it but I will if the putty is truly a bad idea.

Thanks all, take care.
Mikey