Thread: Extending stock arms

1. #1 Extending stock arms 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I need to extend my stock rear lower control arms by an inch or so. WK arms are made from thick-walled square tubing. Is there anything wrong with cutting the tubing in the middle and sleeving (use flat stock to extend all 4 sides of the tube)? Or will that weaken the arm in any way?
    Alternatively I could chop the ends off the arms and graft onto new tubing. The first option is much easier.

2. #2 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    I vote to cut the ends off and replace with new tubing, It may not be that much more work considering you will hard to find exact fit square tube to fit between the splice and still have to sleeve it.

I would get a set of arms from pick and pull to build the replacement arms from. In either case press in new bushings.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

3. #3 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Pretty much what Keith said. Can't imagine it'd be that hard to build all new arms, you could even just make them adjustable to really dial it in.

4. #4 Re: Extending stock arms 
    One more question on this topic. In preparation for welding, I've cut the ends (complete with bushings, which will be replaced after the welding process) off my stock arms and prepped them for welding. I plan on making a jig by embedding the stock mounting bolts in a piece of wood at the appropriate locations, the bushings (and thus the control arm ends) would then be secured to the bolts to ensure proper control arm length. Will this jig be strong enough, or do I have to worry about metal warpage during the welding process breaking the wood?

5. #5 Re: Extending stock arms 
    I would find some tubing with an ID matching the OD of the stock arms and sleeve em inside the new tubing. Won't have issues of keeping bushings square with that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

6. #6 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Will this work on zj as well? Or is the ca too thin to support the weight/ abuse? If anyone has done it please let me know!

7. #7 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Take a look at a stock Zj arm, they're just stamped steel. You could cut the rubber bushings off and weld them to some tube, but you'd waste the rubber doing that.
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

8. #8 Re: Extending stock arms 
    you can get the front long arm upgrade from Ironrock Offroad for 600 dingers......oh and what the hell are you driving?? kinda helps people answer your questions when we know what friggin vehicle you have.
    Our excellent online GCIH exam dump training programs will lead you to success in the testking.net - 3605 dumps We also offer latest sterling and Rasmussen College with 100% success guarantee. Our Sterling College is rare in IT world.

9. #9 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Quote Originally Posted by tomjery View Post
    oh and what the hell are you driving?? kinda helps people answer your questions when we know what friggin vehicle you have.
    That information is in the second sentence of my original post; aftermarket support for WKs is rather limited, so I don't have the luxury of off-the-shelf options.

10. #10 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    That information is in the second sentence of my original post; aftermarket support for WKs is rather limited, so I don't have the luxury of off-the-shelf options.
    It's not his fault he can't read!!!
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

11. #11 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomjery View Post
    you can get the front long arm upgrade from Ironrock Offroad for 600 dingers......oh and what the hell are you driving?? kinda helps people answer your questions when we know what friggin vehicle you have.
    That's one way to introduce yourself.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

12. #12 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Z what exactly do you want. i can make you a set of arms with poly bushings in them what ever length you want. i have all sorts of jigs for this shit.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

13. #13 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    Z what exactly do you want. i can make you a set of arms with poly bushings in them what ever length you want. i have all sorts of jigs for this shit.
    Thanks for the offer but this project is now complete.

14. #14 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    i guess i'm late to the party.

lol

any pics?
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

15. #15 Re: Extending stock arms 
    Not really pic worthy. I cut the hoops off a spare set of stock arms, bought some tubing that was way beefier than necessary, made a jig and had a friend weld them up. Then had a fresh set of stock rubber bushings pressed in (I hate poly bushings).

I hope I don't have to do that again, as the gas tank had to be lowered to access the bolt on the driver's side of my WK.

Thread Information