Thread: back to wj brakes?

1. #1 back to wj brakes? 
    is this a dumb idea? wj is back to being my daily driver, so i'm looking for some better brakes. i have chevy d44 outers so have the 1/2 ton 2.8" or 2.9" single piston chevy brakes up front and they stop okay but I cant lock up 35s and the pedal goes pretty far down to the floor. when on a long decent down a trail they heat up and then the pedal bottoms out but they will lock up as long as im going ooohhh 1mph.

stock wj dual piston brakes have a combined piston diameter of 4.20 and disperse heat better, and hopefully will get my pedal back to stock-ish. so is it worth it to mess around and try to make a custom bracket to fit the wj brakes back on a chevy 44? my reasoning for the squishy pedal is filling up 1 larger piston with the stock master cylinder is harder to do then filling up to small pistons. or do i try and find a larger master cylinder that will work?

2. #2 Re: back to wj brakes? 
    You need a bigger master cylinder. What are you running for rear brakes?
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

3. #3 Re: back to wj brakes? 
    Sub'd. I don't have an answer but if you find a bigger master that works post it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '99 WJ 4.0, 44/8.8, 35's, body damage

4. #4 Re: back to wj brakes? 
    Rear brakes are from a ford explorer. I use to have the much larger cadillac brakes back there, but had so many issues with them I scrapped them. The pedal hardened up after the 8.8 brakes went in since the caliper is smaller.

I have done a good amount of searching online for a compatible master cylinder that will work with the wj brake booster but so far havnt found anything. Thats why I was thinking if I could get the the stock wj brakes back on there instead of messing with MC and Booster swap.

5. #5 Re: back to wj brakes? 
    Rear brakes are from a ford explorer. I use to have the much larger cadillac brakes back there, but had so many issues with them I scrapped them. The pedal hardened up after the 8.8 brakes went in since the caliper is smaller.

I have done a good amount of searching online for a compatible master cylinder that will work with the wj brake booster but so far havnt found anything. Thats why I was thinking if I could get the the stock wj brakes back on there instead of messing with MC and Booster swap.

6. #6 Re: back to wj brakes? 
    I have 1/2 ton chevy front calipers and factory rear WJ brakes on my 9" and I love my brakes. I believe the 8.8 isn't too far off from a 9" at the backing plate, maybe you could modify factory WJ brakes like I did.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

7. #7 Re: back to wj brakes? 
    I read an old post from a few years ago when you mentioned you had a real squishy pedal after you put in the 1/2 tons. Is that still the case? Maybe i need to bench bleed the master cylinder to firm things up. Feels like there is not a lot of clamping force

8. #8 Re: back to wj brakes? 
    I haven't driven a stock WJ in a while so I have a hard time relating, it may be softer than the stock pedal, but I can still lock up all 4 36"s while loaded down with all my camping gear so I'm satisfied
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

Thread Information