Thread: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60

1. #1 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Mochisme's Avatar
    I went out the other night and while sitting in a left turn lane the WJ just died with no warning of any kind. Tried restarting several times and it turned over but no fire or even attempts to fire. A minute or so later it started right up and everything was fine. Well it was fine for a while, then after making several stops over the course of about three hours I started home and was driving 60 on I-5 southbound and it died again with no warning. Coasted to the side of the road, scratched my head, turned the key and she fired right up and on home.

The next day I take it into the shop that maintains my vehicles and explained to them what happens and they scratched their heads. I drove around to get the engine warm, then left the WJ there for them to play with and it died on them sitting idling on their lube rack. They noticed a light on the dash I had never seen before (My steering wheel is in the way and blocks it) it is a key with a circle and line over it. So they said they thought something was wrong with the chip in the key, and recommend I use the 2nd key and see if that solves the problem.

Well so far it has, but I have never heard of a chipped key going bad before and was wondering if any of you have. I talked to the shop foreman at a Jeep dealer today and he said that yes they do/can and ask me to bring it in to have it checked for codes as my little hand held code reader can not access all of the WJ's error codes. Never heard that before either.

So if you have any knowledge and/or experience with this, please tell me how to cure it.
    Ted

2000 WJ Stock, Towed behind the Motor Home
    2000 Monaco La Palma 34' Class A Motorhome

2. #2 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Definitely plausible that it's an issue with the Sentry Key. I have to imagine there's some type of battery in the key itself and it can only last for so long.

3. #3 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    I ask about that and was told that there is no Battery in the key, just a micro chips that something next to the switch has to find to allow the key to work.

I have a key with no chip and I had one made for my 98 ZJ so I could unlock doors. They both set off the car alarm if use to try and start the car.
    Ted

4. #4 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    It's an RFID key there is no battery they collect energy from the interrogating EM field, and then act as a passive transponder to emit microwaves or UHF radio waves. Like anything electronic they can go bad. Throw your key across the room or drop them and things can break.

5. #5 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I am having trouble s with my skim system as well. From what I've read the system will not shut the Jeep down while driving. The symptom seems to be start run 3 second s and die. The key talks to an antenna that talks to the ecu and all 3 have to agree.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    01 WJ

6. #6 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Well I just got back from the local Stealership and they say:

Pulled vehicle in, scanned for dtc, found dtc for serial link external failure, and pcm status failure. Suspect intermittent problem with the skim module. Recommend replacing the skim module and skim keys and fobs.

DSGEN SKIM MODULE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED W/KEYS Cost $1,057.77

WOW, I about choked.... They stated that yes this could shut the engine off at any time as the skim module was not seeing the key so it shuts down as an anti-thief feature. Well unless someone here can come up with something different, cheaper, better, I will have to shell out that money as I do not need the WJ quitting on me especially while at GSW or any other trail type activity.
    Ted

7. #7 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I'd start prowling through some junkyards before throwing down that kind of coin.

8. #8 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    That is what I did for a replacement headlight Dave, $450.00 from the Stealership, $35.00 for a Junkyard. But this SKIM Module is a different breed of cat as they explained it to me. It is programmed with the vehicle's VIN Number and so is the key. That was the first thing I said when I saw the price "I will go to a junkyard and get a whole Steering Colum and keys, that is when they threw the VIN at me, which kind of kills that idea, unless someone know that it is BS.
    Ted

9. #9 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Ever had an aftermarket alarm installed? I've always been wary that they might cut (or almost cut) a wire off with the pinch splice connectors some installers use.

I'd start by disconnecting and reconnecting the pcm, I wonder about a corroded/chaffed wire. The SKIM module itself is in the steering column, if you pop the two plastic shell halves apart that cover the column, it is on the bottom with a little hoop that goes over to the ignition

If the SKIM light is constant, it seems like another issue as normally the light flashes when SKIM is pissed off
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

10. #10 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    There are 3 companies that will charge between $175 & &400 to delete the skim. I think if my problem persists that is the direction I will go.

01 WJ

11. #11 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Would you mind sharing who? I've been looking for a company to delete skim off a Dakota PCM I have for years haha.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

12. #12 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    Autocomputerperformance.com I think is the least expensive. I caught my rig on fire near the passenger side a pillar while copying your rocker removal. Then no issues till pulling out dash to replace heat heater core. I think I between those 2 issues just have a wiring problem but am tempted to spend the money to delete the system because the tow bill to get off Pritchett would be pretty nuts.

01 WJ

13. #13 Re: 2000 WJ dies while tiding and while doing 60 
    I found some interesting stuff on the Jeep Forum last night including some posts from you fluxcap. I am going to do a bit of checking here shortly if my preferred repair shop can program these critters like described on JF, and if so to the junkyard I am headed.

Another interesting thing I found there last night was that we can get NEW in the box headlight assemblies for under $50.00 on eBay. I busted the parking light section of mine getting out of a record snow fall in Sisters, OR a while back. Stealership wanted $450.00, but the parts guy suggested checking a junkyard, which I did and got a partly fogged one I have to clean up for $35.00, but I would have jumped on the NEW one from eBay in a heartbeat.

I will post up what I find out today on the SKIM Module. As for getting towed out of Pritchett, if you were that for GSW the other guys would get you out with no tow bill, but your example is a valid one for others.
    Ted

Thread Information