Thread: Wagoneer44 rcv questions

1. #1 Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Senior Member redneckrollercoaster's Avatar
    Dana 44 RCV spindle question...have blessing to upgrade front shafts(blessing involved wife receiving a fake designer purse she wanted) and although full chromoly kits for waggy44 can be had for $500 I really want to go the pita more$ rcv route, as jeep blessings don't come often these days.
    I understand I will have to spend more $ on 30spline warn or yukon lockouts(no slugs for me, I like options) to run the rcv's because of the 30spline outers, my issue is how do I fit the fat outers through the 19 spline spindles? Can I get them machined or do I have to use a different spindle entirely? I am using all 1989 waggy outers, no fancy or swapped out knuckles, and planned on hubs being my weak point with stronger shafts, but upping the outer splines probably will make the r&p the soft spot. But I don't think I'm aggressive enough to ass-splode my diff, or for that matter even require rcv strength. I just hate axle u-joints. I realize dropping over a grand into a 44 is an exercise in turd-shining but it's cheaper than converting the whole thing to tons at this point... So anyone with rcv dana 44 experience I ask of you your .02 on both the folly of even doing this and the spindle question. Or should I just chromo and ctm/superjoint the thing and not think about this crap at 1 a m. Have searched and googled like hell all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

2. #2 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    The RCV outer shafts are 30 spline, but not as big in diameter as your inner 30 spline shafts. They will fit in your standard D44 spindles. You can look up that info on the RCV website, there is a section that calls out the shaft diameters and material.

I went the chromo/ctm route and after breaking both outer stub shafts, I stepped up to the Foote outer shaft. The Foote outer shaft is 19 spline, but it does NOT neck down. It has the same diameter and is 4340 just like the RCV outer stub shaft.

RCV's are nice, but I have witness them break before Warn hubs. Nothing is indestructible.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

3. #3 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Also RCV drive slugs you can take the slugs out and drive on them "unlocked". I'm pretty sure they are the only drive slugs you can do that to. If you're set on locking hubs though the Yukon 30 splines come with a lifetime warranty.

4. #4 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Thanks guys I just freaked out when my 30 spline inner wouldn't fit through the spindle. Almost a deal breaker for getting rcv's- didn't want to have to buy new spindles as well as new hubs

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

5. #5 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Ordered the rcv's and yukon 30spline lockouts last night. Guess i'll find out what works soon enough lol
    Funny thing is i got the waggy axle for free and now i will have more $ in a 44 than i could probably sell the whole jeep for

6. #6 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Where did you get the RCVs? I'm in market now.

7. #7 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    From rcv, through a friend who works at a local shop. Saved me a few $

8. #8 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Right on. That's what I'm trying to do. 1500 for shafts and slugs is a big price tag

9. #9 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Sure is. But it's not all that much cheaper to do chromos with superjoints/ctm/longfields. But having to buy slugs or new hubs does bring the cost up. Hopefully its worth it. Kinda hard to carry spare shafts when they run $700/each.

10. #10 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    You can always keep the shafts you have now as spares.. It's a pain to change in the trail but I did once..

Wish Rcv did cost 2k for my jeep or I would get them!

11. #11 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckrollercoaster View Post
    Sure is. But it's not all that much cheaper to do chromos with superjoints/ctm/longfields. But having to buy slugs or new hubs does bring the cost up. Hopefully its worth it. Kinda hard to carry spare shafts when they run $700/each.

This is true. I have a ford 44 and I can't bring myself to continue to run 19 spline stubs. So my options are rcv with rcv slugs for 1500ish or nitro shafts and joints with their 30 spline stubs and Yukon super hubs for 1400ish. Hmm hard choice. NOT! I'm going RCV!

12. #12 Re: Wagoneer44 rcv questions 
    John was right. No problems getting rcv outers through the factory wagoneer spindles. The only grinding/clearancing i had to do was about an eighth-inch off the lower balljoint stud and i sort of chamfered the bottom of the upper balljoint to make a smoother insertion(lol) for the orange boot, per the instruction vid on the rcv site. I didnt think I'd need to shorten the lower stud and ended up having to do it afterward using a sawzall and a hacksaw and it was NOT fun. Thanks for the input, folks

Thread Information