Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Silverton, CO July 4, 2014

Thread: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Cody and I were discussing this in a separate thread, and I want to make it happen. I've heard watching Silverton's fireworks display from up on one of the trails in the area is pretty awesome, so I figured we could plan the trip around that. I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff we could do in the area too for the 4th, plus a bunch of great wheeling. I've run quite a few of the trails in the area, and am open to whatever as far as that goes, just want to make sure we do Black Bear and Imogene.

We could camp in one location, or move campsites every day/couple of days depending on what people want to do. I would like to avoid hauling my camper over Black Bear or Poughkeepsie though. Given the time of year it will likely be pretty busy in the area, so probably the more remote campsite the better.

Who's in?

2. #2 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I'd love to do this trip, but can't this year due to a major release on July 1 and the subsequent "Oh shit, we forgot..." period for the rest of July.

3. #3 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Kyle and I would be in (2 rigs), though its a bit out yet. I would do something like leave on Thursday late morning early afternoon and drive back Sunday AM. I agree considering the holiday to camp on the trails in remote spots. We do it that way anyway on holiday weekends.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

4. #4 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    There's a good spot I've camped in before just west of the intersection of Mineral Creek and Poughkeepsie. Plenty big for multiple rigs and in a good location to hit a bunch of different trails. I don't know that I would take your pop up in there Keith but if you used your tent cots you'd be fine.

5. #5 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Well, I sold the pop up a couple months ago because we like doing the tent cots too much. I might buy another pop up to build and sell it. I made decent profit on the last one. But for wheeling trips it will be the tent cots.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

6. #6 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    We might be in for this...I am almost finished with the Clayton's front LA's on mine...and we are about to embark on an engine swap on the 5.9...it appears to have thrown a rod on the #8 cylinder.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

7. #7 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    What Jeep are you taking Dave?
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

8. #8 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    ZJ. I'd take the tow rig down there before the WK2, need a hitch to pull the camper.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

9. #9 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    We might be down for that if work allows. Maybe drive down the 4th to Ouray for the big events then up the mountain Silverton for some wheeling then back on Sunday

Build it. Lock it. Crawl it.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

10. #10 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    I could probably make this happen, and Dave if you need to park your tow rig at my place again you got it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

11. #11 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    wow, this is tempting
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

12. #12 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    We are going to be down there, we are there most every Independence Day an associated weekend. We group camp at the Red Mtn RV & Campground in the meadow. Great view o the fireworks and central location to get to the trails. I would be interested in doing a joint run--that has a new meaning now in CO--with the group if timing works out. That said, Black Bear usually isn't open until the end of July and in the last ten or so years I think Poughkeepsie has only been open a couple of times that early in he season.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

13. #13 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    I'd definitely like to do this.....but I'm strongly thinking of doing it on the GS. I'm just not that amazing with that big heavy pig on rougher roads, so I'm somewhat leery of it.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

14. #14 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Not to hijack, but Cody have you watched Long Way Around and Long Way Down? Having the GS reference in this made me think that you would really enjoy these movies. Netflix has them, great for binge watching.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

15. #15 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Ya I've seen them. Pretty awesome stuff. I can't afford to drop my bike all around the world though
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

16. #16 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Senior Member redneckrollercoaster's Avatar
    I'd definitely be down! Sorry, just saw this thread. And you wouldn't have to pull over the Bear, there's always Ophir Pass. I have done that in a loaded 2wd van with a compressor behind it. Hasn't been a very good winter as of March, so trails may open earlier this year. Be glad to put eyes on them for y'all a few weeks ahead, as the forest service website down here doesn't update very often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

17. #17 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Here's what's open around Silverton/Ouray as of last week

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

18. #18 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    So is this happening this wkd? I've got my two boys this wkd, so is this relatively kid friendly? Any details would be good since I've never been in the area and only have a moderately built zj. Looking at getting there Thurs and leaving sun.
    98 4.0 Grand Cherokee, custom work in progress 4.5", 32's, WJ knuckle conversion, and some bolt ons.

19. #19 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    I will be up there with some friends, probably run engineer and imogine. Haven't heard if anyone from MC is coming or not. It's a good time getting up out of the heat regardless. My kids always enjoy it

20. #20 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    And most of the trails up there can be done in an old subaru. Not so much extreme as beautiful and sometimes precarious

21. #21 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    We won't be making it down, too much other stuff came up. We're going to try for at least a long weekend later in the summer though.

22. #22 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Myself and passrunner (Todd) will be around however I will not have a built jeep just the WJ wich is still stock

Build it. Lock it. Crawl it.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

23. #23 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Maybe see you fellers out there. Message here or text me if you want to run a trail a certain day. Pm me for cell#

24. #24 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Quick change of plans here too, Had a crazy week here at the office and I won't be able to make it up this weekend. Someday I'll make it out with you guys.
    98 4.0 Grand Cherokee, custom work in progress 4.5", 32's, WJ knuckle conversion, and some bolt ons.

25. #25 Re: Silverton, CO July 4, 2014 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    We may be heading down the weekend of Aug 16/17 if that works for anyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information