Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

1 ton zj

Thread: 1 ton zj

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 1 ton zj 
    I would like to start off with saying hello. My name is chad and I'm from Ohio. My rig is a 97 grand Cherokee limited. I got it in Feb of 2013 after selling my first trail jeep.

Build list
    79 ford Dana 60 welded 5.38 gears
    14 bolt welded 5.38 gears
    231 sye case
    Full frame reinforcement
    Exo cage/bumpers
    38x12.5x16 swampers
    Rugged ridge winch
    Tons of nickel and dime stuff

This build is on a local site when I started the build. Tried another Cherokee site but found out its directed mainly towards xj's. Here we go

The day I brought it home. Completely stock

2. #2 Re: 1 ton zj 

Then the fun started

3. #3 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Started by pulling the stock axles. The front had a broken CV joint. But still was able to sell them. Then completely cleaned the frame of all the stock brackets and tabs. That was a job. Took forever. Pics of the rear

Then started on the stiffening plate templates.

I used ¼" thick angle on the outside and 3/16 plate on the inside

4. #4 Re: 1 ton zj 
    The middle section of the frame I used ¼" thick 4" box tube. I plasma cut the seam side off and blew holes in the side for plug welds. This piece went from behind the rear doors up past the cross member

Couple pics of the plates welded in

Once I got the frame finished up past the cross member I started the 4 link rear. All the link parts from Barnes 4x4. 1¼ heims at the frame and poly bushings at the axle ends

5. #5 Re: 1 ton zj 
    I have more pics from my old phone on the laptop if anyone is interested. Just ask and I'll get some more of whatever posted. Built the links out of 2" ¼ wall Dom for the lowers and 1¾" .120 wall dom for the uppers. The brackets from Barnes were great. Made it easy to mount everything.
    The upper link mounts at the truss were homebrew

I stretched the rear 11" and the front 4½"

6. #6 Re: 1 ton zj 
    The offset brackets mount on the bottom of the frame and give me 4" of lift. It is sitting on the stock springs. Planning on a lot of cutting. That'd the look I like. Little lift and cut clearance.

Plating on the front went super smooth. I acquired a 4x8 sheet of 3/16 plate. If anyone is doing this this is definitely the way to do it. Templates transfered over to plate

Plasma cut out and cleaned up

I would mark the bends on the templates and grind ¾ of the way thru bend it the way it should go on and start fitting it

7. #7 Re: 1 ton zj 
    The outer frame well

8. #8 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Forgot to post a few more rear shots

Then work started on the driver side front

Was a little tricky with the motor mount bolts and the steering box plate. But going full hydro but gonna make the orbital mount plate work in the steering box location

9. #9 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Next I started on the spring mounts for the front. The frame was a little to narrow to run the Barnes brackets so I made my own out of ¼" plate.

Driver side

Links in and springs mounted

10. #10 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Next was the pan hard bar. I planned on running 1 1/4 heims to it but the brackets Barnes had wasn't wide enough for those. So I went with the ⅞ for it. Pic of the front brackets and 14 bolt disk brake brackets

Pan hard bar frame side

Test flex

At the oil pan

11. #11 Re: 1 ton zj 
    On its own weight

Test flex. Only about 20" up on the jack but it seemed very unstable on a jack under the tire

No more room on the rear but only about half way on the up travel

Me cheezen for height reference

12. #12 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Got the fenders cut last week. The rear is what I wanted. Front I haven't decided

13. #13 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Got the inner fenders to build in the rear and moving the air box and battery box for extra room in the front.

Got the 14 bolt disk brakes on and ready for brake lines

Took out the 249 and swapped out the front inputs and put it in the 231. To my surprise the guy I bought the 231 from had a 6 gear planetary already in it. :thumbup:

I couldn't get the studs out of the 249 so had to order new ones

Ready for driveshafts

14. #14 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Ordered a custom fuel cell from RCI on Thursday. Its a 30*12*9 but didn't need the pick ups and the sending unit. I bought this jeep sending unit adapter from genright. Should make putting it in a breeze. My pump and regulator are intank and this was the best solution I found since I wasn't able to use the stock tank

That is where I am at with the build. It is coming along great. Hope to have the rest of it done and ready by spring time.

Still to do list is
    Driveshafts
    Fuel lines
    Brake lines
    Power steering pump/Hydraulic lines
    Paint
    Exo cage/bumpers

15. #15 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Senior Member redneckrollercoaster's Avatar
    Badass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

16. #16 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Thanks. I had to build something that could take the whole family out. Once the baby was born I had to start a 5 seater

17. #17 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Senior Member redneckrollercoaster's Avatar
    Looks like you are doing it right! Plated from end to end and all, love the coil buckets. Good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

18. #18 Re: 1 ton zj 
    I thought they ended up pretty nice. Started on filling in the inner fender from the cut. Here's a couple pics of the fender before I started.

Here's the piece I made to fit. Made a template and then a ton of fitting and grinding.

Didn't turn out to bad considering I have never worked sheet metal before. Got the door hole almost done but not ready for a pic yet

19. #19 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Nice work! Love to see new builds on here.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

20. #20 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Awesome build! Im working on the family trail rig also! Got a 6 month old wheeler in the making!
    93 ZJ 3.5" RE Superflex kit, KOR Stealth Rear bumper with carrier, Nates 4x4 Front Stinger bumper, Surco Safari Rack, HP D30 , Ford 8.8 Locked, Trimmed out on both ends with 33" Toyo Open Country M/T's

21. #21 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Where in ohio and what local site? I'm in Columbus and wheel with empire off-road. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say cinnci area and core???

22. #22 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Thanks guys. I'm trying to do it right and only once. my littlest wheeler will be 2 in February. Maybe a few easy rides toward the end if summer for her. She is smaller than my son was at 2.
    Sturdy limb. Hahaha I live south of Dayton. The site is core but not a member of that club yet. Plan to be once the jeeps done. I'm a current member of Miami valley four wheelers based out of middletown. Its a good club since we have private land to ride on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

23. #23 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Sweet. Love the new build and the unibody plating. Keep the pics coming
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

24. #24 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjmartin View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm trying to do it right and only once. my littlest wheeler will be 2 in February. Maybe a few easy rides toward the end if summer for her. She is smaller than my son was at 2.
    Sturdy limb. Hahaha I live south of Dayton. The site is core but not a member of that club yet. Plan to be once the jeeps done. I'm a current member of Miami valley four wheelers based out of middletown. Its a good club since we have private land to ride on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    I'd love to wheel that land. Do they ever let non members come out to wheel it?

25. #25 Re: 1 ton zj 
    Quote Originally Posted by polar_jeep_04 View Post
    I'd love to wheel that land. Do they ever let non members come out to wheel it?
    We can bring guests with us. One member rig per guest rig is the rule. Usually 4 or 5 members and 1 or 2 guest go in our group. When I get it done if you wanna make the drive you can come check it out and wheel with us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Thread Information