Thread: front sway bar removal...

1. #1 front sway bar removal... 
    I've search and searched here and pirate4x4.

ive got hi-steer and hi-tierod on my dana 44 and cant find anywhere to mount the front sway bar to. since i do alot of road travel with this how bad is it to remove the front sway bar? i know that it will induce alittle more body roll but is it really that bad?

there just isn't alot of clearance
    96 ZJ swapped in 5.2, 242, 14bolt rear, big ugly home brew bumper, 7.5" of lift in the front 9" in the rear, long arms, hummer wheels with 37s... (dont worry front axle is next)

It should be heavy. Weight is a sign of reliability. If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it.

-e-boner

2. #2 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    Depends on how soft your springs are, some folks use a progressive rate spring that helps with body roll.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

3. #3 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I couldn't stand driving my rig on the road without a front sway. I did it some times, but I tried to keep it from the campsite to the trails. It really does also depend on your springs, shocks, and a lot of other factors - but at 9" with long arms, I think you're going to really feel like you're driving a boat.

4. #4 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Do you have a rear sway bar?

My Jeep was a slinky on 4.5" long arms without sway bars, but I also never bothered to figure out a sway bar mount for the rear. I wondered how well it'd handle on the road with a good rear sway bar.

That said, keep in mind that, from a functional perspective, the sway bar can also be mounted to the axle -- with the links going to the body. Not sure if that's practical for a front axle given how much is already going on up front, but it's something to consider...
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

5. #5 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    Admin
    Now that you mention it - when I eventually put a TJ sway bar on the rear axle - mounted to the rear axle with links going up to the body (backwards from what you'd normally see on a ZJ) it helped. But the bottom line is that no matter what, a front sway will help with streetability. Since you say you do "alot of road travel" I'd find a way to make it work! If it's a trailer queen with rare street travel, who cares. You could always put it together and drive it in an area without any other vehicles and just jerk the wheel to see how it handles. Don't pull a Cody.

6. #6 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Way to many variables. I drove my ZJ for years without F or R swaybars. It was heavy with stiff RC 7" springs that netted more like 6" with Clayton's long arms and ProComp MS6 shocks. The axles I was running were also 4-5" wider than stock. It was very comfortable and handled fine. My dad's ZJ though on Claytons Springs and stock width axles (same shocks) I would have driven from camp to trail head without the F sway bar...the body roll was unreal.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

7. #7 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    It's all personal preference and your exact setup. I took my sway bars off completely 10+ years ago. On a budget boost it was fine. Now with long arms and more lift it's a bit sketch, so I put a front sway bar with discos back on and it made a huge difference.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

8. #8 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    thanks for the input guys

i was hit with inspiration last night and figure out a way to mount it to the axle so alls good.... except i stripped out one of the nuts for the pin

and ran out of solid core wire too... would you guess nobody sells weld wire at 2am?! god i hate flux core

ill post pictures of the axle if i remember so i can get flamed on the build.... i had to raise the track bar location and mount it inside the passenger coil, not enthusiastic about how short it is- and it not quite parallel with the drag link but thats ok for now - though alot of other big lifts with hi-steer and hi-tierod ive seen the track bar in the same location so who knows
    Last edited by jborushko; 10-23-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    96 ZJ swapped in 5.2, 242, 14bolt rear, big ugly home brew bumper, 7.5" of lift in the front 9" in the rear, long arms, hummer wheels with 37s... (dont worry front axle is next)

It should be heavy. Weight is a sign of reliability. If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it.

-e-boner

9. #9 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    I didn't have any sway bars on mine with 6" stiff BDS springs and long arms, and once it got to bouncing on the road... hang on. I was towing my jeep to Harlan last year and my tow rig broke down. Had to drive the jeep about an hour home, in the dark, on a major highway. Lets just say my butt chewed through the seat.

What I am saying is if you want a streetable rig, I hope you can figure out a way to mount them.

10. #10 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    With no sway bars at all. You need to learn not to swerve to miss an accident or an animal, cause if you do you'll be somewhere you don't want to be...

11. #11 Re: front sway bar removal... 
    BANNED
    I guess I don't really even know what a sway bar does.... oh well...

Thread Information